The Topics that Interest YOU most right now!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, I feel like if more newbies like myself looked at their tank as a complete ecosystem rather than chasing individual numbers, or viewing the uglies as individual crises rather than part of the path, we’d have more people sticking around.

We've been saying this for decades and good to see at least someone listening to the crusty 'ol f*rts' :)

images.jpg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been saying this for decades and good to see at least someone listening to the crusty 'ol f*rts' :)

images.jpg

Just kind of how my brain works. That and I’m the guy who watches nature documentaries when I’m bored lol

See Gee Sea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to learn more about sustainability for both livestock and how we consume energy in keeping our tanks. Scientists warn that in 30 years reefs could become extinct. Are we doing anything detrimental that requires us to approach the hobby differently?

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to read more about different dosing/feeding schedules and a holistic analysis. I feel like there are a lot of anecdotes and focus on single products around here, would be cool to do some deeper looking into what programs or combinations work best for different types of tanks.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the topics, in the reefing hobby, that interests you the most right now? What just gets your wheels turning?

Help me help you...

giphy.gif
How and what effects do lighting, par, spectrum and higher nutrients have if any. On coloration, bouncing, growth etc.
For mushroom corals?
Ive asked this question a few different ways a few different times. Sparked alot of interest but didn't get many answers.
Maybe you can have better luck?

Klaus DK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to learn about the ratios of PO4 to NO3. Seems like there is ratio that works really well for coral growth and coloration and still inhibits nuisance algae. Low numbers are not that important maybe. I would also to find information on how to help maintain those numbers and ratios.

Google Redfield ratio. :)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a more of a serious subject than most, but how many tanks were set up because people were bored having to stay inside due to Covid, and will we now see a surge in people giving up and dumping their tanks as it was looked at as a temporary hobby. If this is the case, was it ethical?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see more topics relating to pest annihilation from the hobby, it's really part of coral care and long term health of the hobby. I dislike the response "It's bound to happen at some point" If we all collectively practiced pest removal and LFS, online stores really stepped up the game we could start removing aptasia and vermiteds from the list. Sorry for the mini rant, but if you're selling corals part of that responsibility/quality should rest on the seller.

Maybe this is my first "Article" topics :)
giphy.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think I speak for anyone when I say " SPS" and " balancing CA-Alk-Mag" in a reef tank

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thats an interesting topic because all claims there go directly against a PhD MACNA speaker and I have no qualifications to do so. What I do have is about one thousand work links, though. I can make cases based on web patterns, and cycles don’t stall in reefing.

my secondary interest is the massive sales machine that benefits from redundant bottle bac sales. We are told that cycles can stall, and that causes sales. Interesting feedback loop.

no reef cycle has ever stalled, not one. Send me any online post of a stalled cycle and we will prove it’s not stalled by clues in their description. The animals in the tank will be acting normally. We will also predict what test kit theyre using before we know for sure. We will also list what test kit they aren’t using, based on their reported param levels, also listed will be the exact date they can begin reefing without any losses.

Ill believe a cycle has stalled the day we get a poster trying to put fish in an empty aquarium with no rocks and no wet caribsea sand and no bottle bac, just a raw drop into the water. That can stall and kill the fish once the dilution is used up. In twenty years of online reefing I’ve never seen that once, even from a noob

the slowest a cycle will run incorporating common surface area is the time set by a common cycling chart. None go longer, unless it’s api or Red Sea saying so. It will never be a seneye claiming tenths ppm nh3.

across the entire internet and in every book, cycling is at max a thirty day event, for fifty + years or so now. If cycles stalled, we’d have some longer cycling charts to consult they’d have found the variation sooner in wastewater treatment plants and water purification facilities

its only our hobby using nine dollar testers making the claim
I fully agree!! It’s getting to the point where I don’t trust anybody selling anything. I had an awesome reef in 2001 with no real help besides books written in the 80’s, all second hand stuff equipment. All the manufacturers/vendors are making everything way too complicated and confusing people to the point where they accidentally nuke there tank and quit. It seems counter intuitive for them but a quick buck is better than that slow dollar I guess. Most foods/supplements are BS and make things worse. The whole par BS is driving me nuts. I had some amazing SPS back In The day with a Home Depot T5 fixture and now it’s so over analyzed it takes the fun out of it. It would be real hard to be a newbie today in my opinion. These companies have us chasing out tails and I for one am getting dizzy!!! I would think a nice tank with little effort would be in everyone’s best interest but if everything is working then they can’t sell you anything. Sometimes it just seems like certain parties are ruining the hobby. It’s all about money now a days and that is never good. When I had issues with something I had to read a book or be in tune with my tank and understand biology and how things work as best as possible. Now a days it’s too easy to just watch a 20min video and do whatever they say and buy whatever they say. You don’t learn anything that way. We need a change to survive and I would like to keep a reef tank for a long time still. Sorry rant over

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back