The Trend to Dry Rock Cycling

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting back into this hobby after 25 years. Back then, I used live reef rock purchased at my LFS to cycle my 55 gallon tank at the time along with Carib Fiji Black sand. Getting back into the hobby and doing my homework, I noticed a large trend towards using dry rock. Being a traditionalist, I rather prefer using the living/natural way as opposed to add chemicals and such to recreate it on the dry. I was planning on purchasing live sand and live rock through Tampa Bay Saltwater but recently saw Richards post about retiring and selling. I'm still going back and forth on it to be honest between dry and live rock but leaning heavily towards the living/natural way. (call me old fashioned). The dry does have aesthetic aqua scaping appeal. Just wondering why such the big trend to dry rock as opposed to aqua cultured farm rock. Also, any recommendations of a quality vendor since TBSWR is no longer around....thanks.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics and Saltybottom Reef Co also sell live rock like TBS did. KP's rock is from the Keys and Saltybottom is gulf rock similar to TBS. I used KP in my 15g mantis tank and I've been very happy with it, much more so than the dry rock I used in my tank before that.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby wants massive, sustained dinos so they have something to work against as a test/resolve and technique challenge. Those who turn them into live rocks have indeed handled a marathon.

said in jest

availability. This below isn’t found in common pet stores any more

F6451809-2FE6-4576-AEE5-7883C8983500.jpeg

the dinos many feel were an unintended side effect from the transition due to availability

the way we cycled the rocks above to be ready for a new reef was to not cycle them since they’re cycled, we can clearly see. They leave the pet store cycled. They ride home cycled, and when set into brand new water, remain cycled. You can move them to a MACNA convention for twenty years and never miss a cycle...we had it locked in back in the day. Cycle shmichael

now it’s pure .25 madness, stalls left and right, people in fear of lack of bacteria will wait half a year for ghost ammonia to clear
And then four more mos for nitrite, in constant fear.

and we are all dependent on bottle bac buying. w disregard the timeline of a cycle chart instantly nowadays, what did the old folks know anyway

we disregard the specific date on the bottle bac that tells when its ready

we absolutely as peers accept any api reading as accurate if its in a cycling thread, but not if its posted in another thread about a ghost reading on a known perfectly normal tank.

check any cycling thread available, see if these trends are far off base.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think it's primarily affordability justified by pest avoidance and easier aquascaping ;)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can it be accurately classed as trading mantis and eunicid worms for dinos and hair algae till 2024

:)

picking on dry rock buddies that's all. If I wanted to set up a huge reef Id have to go dry too or get it mailed. the most my lfs can sell me is a few pounds of the prime.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can it be accurately classed as trading mantis and eunicid worms for dinos and hair algae till 2024

:)
I think that's definitely a fair comparison, and hey, I see you even busted a rhyme there!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have known some people to do mostly dry and add a small bit of live. I see that becoming more of a trend lately, and I think it may be the best of both worlds.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it stings when they're careful for eight mos on pests, then aiptasias still hitch in via corals n shells ! Jeff Goldblum said it best in the Jurassic park 1 movie

eco sustainability was a big legit driver. my reef rock at home was likely impacted out of a real reef :( and :) at the same time, I feel guiltyhappy. though I wont likely get any more of it, ill never retire mine from use

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it stings when they're careful for eight mos on pests, then aiptasias still hitch in via corals n shells ! Jeff Goldblum said it best in the Jurassic park 1 movie lol
Yep. You let your guard down for 1 second and then...

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Evo I started with dry rock and instantly had dino issues. As soon as I replaced it with a chunk of live rock I saw dinos recede and followed by a quicker maturation of the dry rock. Since replacing the dry rock this tank hasn't skipped a beat and is thriving!

My second tank I started with dry rock (slow learner) and after a 5 month battle with dinos I did a rip clean, and replaced a good portion with seeded/mature rock from my Evo and a dry rock NSA. Its doing alright...

In my area I lack a source of mature live rock except the shipped KP. Dry does give me flexibility in my aquascape but the issues are very noticable.

OP
OP
schmittym7

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is some great feedback, thank you everyone for commenting!!!!!

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased KP rock for my latest build. I couldn't be happier. Will purchase from KP again for my next set up.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if they sell live sand(ocean) by chance? I did not see it on their website....thanks.
KP does not, Saltybottom does but it's not in stock very often that I've seen

Edit: I'd also like to add that with TBS out of service currently and saltybottom out of stock of rock KP is pretty much the only game in town short term. It appears the lack of supply and possible higher demand (tax returns? stimulus checks?) have caused them to raise prices on their live rock by 15% very recently.

Last edited:

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price and availability is the main factor I think. Only a couple sellers sell actual good live rocks, and it would cost me 2k+ to scape my tank with them. That price is hard to swallow.

I have yet to see any LFS sells good live rocks. Dry rock soak in a buckets for couple months is not live rocks...

On the aquascaping point though, live rock can do the same NSA scape as dry rock. Just use the sand+super glue method, see Tidal Garden's video for details. The rock can be kept submerged the 90% of the time. With that method cementing is optional. But even you do it, it's only need to be out of water for 2 hours for cementing. There is some more work, but totally doable, specially if you're investing couple thousands more to get live rocks.

But for majority of reefers, the cheap and easily accessible dry rock will continue be the most popular options. Dino is a common problem, but for many it's not a problem worth spending thousands up front investment. Actually when I start new tank and let it run for 3 months before turning up the light, I never got real dino outbreak. Just give other microfauna some time to establish and it will work as good to prevent dino as live rocks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back