The Unholy Marriage Between Apex and Hydros

Michael-JT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm convinced Satan was in the room the day this question came up.

Background:
I have a full Apex doing normal Apexy things.
Bought a Hydros to control the gyres and wavemakers.

The Apex is connected to the Hydros through a VDM to Hydros 0-10v input.
This was easy and now sends the Hydros "feed", "maintenance", etc. signals.

Then I discovered Hydros 'Rope Leak Detector'. To me, this is a game changer.
I'm getting the XS or X3 with several of these ropes.

And the question is born:
How do I make a reverse connection, sending signals to the Apex, to let it know when the rope has been triggered?

I've thought of two possible ways, but these are just ideas and I need all the input I can get
1) The Apex FMM or LDK
These have 1/8" jack. Do these run off of any kind of voltage when triggered? Can the 0-10v output of the hydros plugged into the FMM trigger it?
2) Apex breakout box
In the same fashion a cabinet switch can be triggered. Do these run off of any kind of voltage? Can I DIY the 0-10v output of the Hydros into a breakout box and have it triggered like a switch?

The main goal is to have a trigger sent to the Apex than can be used for IF/THEN programming.
If you can help solve either of the two possibilities above, or have a different approach I haven't thought of, please add to the thread.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an electrical engineer, so hopefully someone else here can chime in, but it seems you should be able to use the HYDROS 0-10v output connected to a relay switch, and that switch connected to the Apex breakout box. When the HYDROS detects a leak, it can turn on the relay, which would close the switch, so the Apex would see the breakout box input change from OPEN to CLOSED. I just don't know what this relay switch device would be called or where to get one. I'm sure it's a common item for DIY projects.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had signals going back and forth between my Archon and Hydros. I used relays to do it. On the Archon which was sending most of the signal I used 120 volt AC relays and powere them on a PC 4 and connected them to a sense port. The relays back to the Archon were driven by the Hydros drive ports which are 12 volts but I guess you could use one of the wifi power strips and 120v relays. I hooked them to the switch inputs on one of the the Archon Modules. Here is a link to the DIY section for the Hydros. https://forum.coralvuehydros.com/forums/diy-hydros.28/

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an electrical engineer, so hopefully someone else here can chime in, but it seems you should be able to use the HYDROS 0-10v output connected to a relay switch, and that switch connected to the Apex breakout box. When the HYDROS detects a leak, it can turn on the relay, which would close the switch, so the Apex would see the breakout box input change from OPEN to CLOSED. I just don't know what this relay switch device would be called or where to get one. I'm sure it's a common item for DIY projects

Hmmmmm...... Makes me wonder if there is a market for hardware/software that does this.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just cut the connector off the rope, add a headphone jack and plug it straight into the apex. Doesn’t it check continuity across the two wires?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had signals going back and forth between my Archon and Hydros. I used relays to do it. On the Archon which was sending most of the signal I used 120 volt AC relays and powere them on a PC 4 and connected them to a sense port. The relays back to the Archon were driven by the Hydros drive ports which are 12 volts but I guess you could use one of the wifi power strips and 120v relays. I hooked them to the switch inputs on one of the the Archon Modules. Here is a link to the DIY section for the Hydros. https://forum.coralvuehydros.com/forums/diy-hydros.28/
I passed signal between my Archon and Hydros but I did not use a 0-10v output. Those do not output enough current to energize a relay. There are relays that have 120v Ac coils that you can power from the wifi power strip. Also the power strip has switched USB connectors. They are all on or all off. Those will power a relay with a 5v coil if you want it to stay low voltage. Also the Control 2 and Control 4 have drive ports that will power a relay with a 12v coil.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just cut the connector off the rope, add a headphone jack and plug it straight into the apex. Doesn’t it check continuity across the two wires?
Does the Apex have a analog input? The rope leak detector is a analog signal. If I remember correctly there is a sensitivity adjustment you can make. It hooks to the sense port and it has two inputs a analog input and a digital input.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a screenshot of the setup for a rope leak detector.

5DC9B69D-970A-4D37-85AD-582938A0FC86.png

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t use Apex anymore or have the coralvue leak sensor on hand to look at. I think you still use the apex leak sensor module To interface with the sensors. I have seen multiple people diy leak sensors using two strips of copper or metal laid close together on the bottom of their stands. They soldered a wire to each strip and connected to apex leak module. I am assuming the sensitivity setting is the resistance between the two wires before it alarms (eliminating splashes from alarming) but I could be wrong. You are not limited to “aquarium” branded leak sensors either, you could use some from commercial applications.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@csund you can get the X2 for $160, The power pack for $20 and the rope leak detector for $40. all you would need to do is hook up a relay to one of the two drive ports and hook the rope leak detector to one of the two sense ports. Setup the input and output with the Hydros app. All you would need to do is hook up the relay contacts to a Apex input. You would still have another sense port and drive port on the X2 you could use. If you ever decide you need more ports on the Hydros get another control unit. Get a command buss cable and a terminator and creat a collective. Then it will act like a single unit as far as the ports are concerned. The Apex leak detection module is $160 so it would be a little more expensive to use the Hydros and hook it to the Apex.

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use a breakout box for 40$. There are videos on YouTube.

My goal is always to keep things as simple as possible. If I can eliminate adding an additional ecosystem and connect directly to my ghl that is the path I will always take. I’m also allergic to power bricks but that’s another story…

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also use a breakout box for 40$. There are videos on YouTube.

My goal is always to keep things as simple as possible. If I can eliminate adding an additional ecosystem and connect directly to my ghl that is the path I will always take. I’m also allergic to power bricks but that’s another story…
I don't have an Apex either. I have the Hydros system running my tank already. I do not have a rope leak detector at this time. I did have a Archon running my tank and switched to the Hydros. I was able to use most of the sensors I was already using. I have 8 Control units in a collective. It controls things at the tank, the RODI and storage tanks in the garage. The ATO, AWC and dosing pumps are in the garage also controlled by the Hydros.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back