The Unique Corals Grow Out Competition is here!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just a friendly reminder, the last day to grab a growout frag for the contest would be this Friday for Saturday shipping.

The remaining selection is found here:

Salthead007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just a friendly reminder, the last day to grab a growout frag for the contest would be this Friday for Saturday shipping.

The remaining selection is found here:

How many people are in this thus far?

Salthead007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far looks like 20+, the chance for that $1500 is looking really good!

Nice. Really looking forward to the progression of this one! Are we allowed to know any history of it? Where it originated from? How long it has been in captivity?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Really looking forward to the progression of this one! Are we allowed to know any history of it? Where it originated from? How long it has been in captivity?
The colony came in 4 months ago from Malaysia. It was a truly stunning specimen. We held it in low light for this time to allow it to lose some of its beauty. Had to spice up the competition!!! When the pictures were taken of the frags for our website they were only a week healed. Some contestants wanted their frag asap to give theirs a head start. As you can see in the videos posted they are all encrusted and have already started to show some sweet color.

Salthead007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colony came in 4 months ago from Malaysia. It was a truly stunning specimen. We held it in low light for this time to allow it to lose some of its beauty. Had to spice up the competition!!! When the pictures were taken of the frags for our website they were only a week healed. Some contestants wanted their frag asap to give theirs a head start. As you can see in the videos posted they are all encrusted and have already started to show some sweet color.

Indeed they have! Not sure how you can “spice” things up much more, as It appears they are going to be absolute FIRE!

I wondered about Malaysia. They have a bunch of cites. Thanks for the info! I am stoked!!

Abrahammer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Lighting: Ecotech Radion XR30W G4
2. Using a doser (Triton Method)
3. Supplements: Triton manganese, vanadium, iodine, and Benereef.

Daylight
Daylight_1.jpg

Actinic Light
Actinic_1.jpg

Good luck to everyone in the contest! Hope all your frags do great!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Announcement!!!!
Due to the shipping delays caused by Hurricane Dorian, we will extend the this Sunday's mandatory picture post and move it to next Sunday to allow all of our fellow reefers an opportunity to receive their contest frags.
Thank you.

Salthead007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
September 2019 UC growout contest submission.

Tank lighting is Aquatic Life t5 hybrid/Aqua Illumination primes.

I dose ESV B-ionic calcium buffer system, via BRS 1.1mm dosers. ESV Magnesium is dosed manually as needed.

I dose Brightwell Aquatics Coral-amino daily.

10k daylight.
F5182BE1-F10A-4739-8A02-A4BD4087D76F.jpeg

Actinic with orange filter.
CB16D04B-44D1-4646-8CFE-3D6D27CD90EE.jpeg

Between all of us, we should learn how to pull out every drop of color from this one!! Let’s have some fun! Good luck everyone!!

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220 crystal dynamics
Running radion g4s on ab+ at 100 percent
Using dastaco reactor
Dosing magnesium as needed

Recieved mine Friday. Time for fun.
20190908_194346.jpg
20190908_194408.jpg
20190908_200816.jpg
20190908_200603.jpg

Last edited:

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are everyone's frags doing? I notice some of the recently posted frags have a little better color and they have started encrusting the plug already!!

Mine is playing catch up for sure. In addition to an extra day in shipping one of my snails knocked it off the rock into my mushrooms during the night a few days after I had glued it down... dang snails. I am finally seeing encrusting and a little more color on the tips today. I think this coral is hardy for sure.

I need to learn to take better photos, but this is a top down with my iphone. You can at least see the encrusting growth..lol..

IMG-3699.jpg

Salthead007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are everyone's frags doing? I notice some of the recently posted frags have a little better color and they have started encrusting the plug already!!

Mine is playing catch up for sure. In addition to an extra day in shipping one of my snails knocked it off the rock into my mushrooms during the night a few days after I had glued it down... dang snails. I am finally seeing encrusting and a little more color on the tips today. I think this coral is hardy for sure.

I need to learn to take better photos, but this is a top down with my iphone. You can at least see the encrusting growth..lol..

IMG-3699.jpg

Seems to be doing good. Only a week in for me, but the tip is starting to show some color.

As for me, I understand this is a competition. But I look at it as more of a learning experience. That being said, I will share the good, and bad with all. I think we can all turn out some stunning pieces, and give U.C. a tough time naming best of show!

So here is my “formula”, if you will, as of now.
Alk 8.5-9.0
Cal: 470
Mag: 1540
No3: 5-10
Po4: .04-.06
Par: 250-275 for now. Will move to about 350 soon.

I don’t expect everyone to post their specs, because I did. Just want to give some transparency into what I am doing. If it is a winning strategy is yet to be seen. Regardless I am having fun! Good luck everyone!!

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be doing good. Only a week in for me, but the tip is starting to show some color.

As for me, I understand this is a competition. But I look at it as more of a learning experience. That being said, I will share the good, and bad with all. I think we can all turn out some stunning pieces, and give U.C. a tough time naming best of show!

So here is my “formula”, if you will, as of now.
Alk 8.5-9.0
Cal: 470
Mag: 1540
No3: 5-10
Po4: .04-.06
Par: 250-275 for now. Will move to about 350 soon.

I don’t expect everyone to post their specs, because I did. Just want to give some transparency into what I am doing. If it is a winning strategy is yet to be seen. Regardless I am having fun! Good luck everyone!!

I agree completely. I hope to learn from everyone and it should be a lot of fun!

Salthead007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the bad. Doing a little maintenance to the tank, pulling the wet side of my Vortceh’s for cleaning. As always, my Maroon clown launches a series of attack’s at my hand. Upon one of his hasty retreats, runs right into my UC growout frag, snapping it off the base completely! With my mouth wide open, I stared at the ceiling for about five minutes. Of course it tumbled down into the rockwork like a game of Blinko on the Price is Right. I fished it back out, glued it back to the base, and moved it to the higher par area I had intended to. We shall see how it goes. I love to watch my clown make out with his bubble tip! But WoW, really smooth kid...

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damsels in my 180g will knock any new frags I put in the tank right off the rockwork. I have to watch them like hawks for the first few hours.

I am sure your frag will settle right back in. Luckily you were able to get it right out.

Salthead007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damsels in my 180g will knock any new frags I put in the tank right off the rockwork. I have to watch them like hawks for the first few hours.

I am sure your frag will settle right back in. Luckily you were able to get it right out.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I have seen them knock frags off rock work before. But never break the frag off the plug.

Back