The unofficial "Triton Method For Dummies" - a great read!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

Just catching up, not been on here for a while.....

Some of the questions that have popped up hopefully I can assist a little....

Ref. Elementz and it effecting your topup, yes once you start adding larger doses of the 3 elementz they can cause your salinity to rise, however as previously mentioned wetter skimming is usually enough to counter act this. If however it isn't enough or you want to run a drier skim then you can use this calculator here which will tell you how much tank water you should remove to maintain.

Detritus in the sump is quite an interesting one, personally I leave it to settle in the algae chamber, although I do have a small PH in there which keeps some of it in suspension. It's worth saying that in my 2 years of running the method the only problems I have had were caused by me messing with the algae, whether that be syphoning the detritus out are cleaning the algae itself. From now on I leave it well alone.

As for which salt to purchase I would bow down to which one is recommended over your side of the pond, over here in the UK TM Pro is the salt of choice as it's levels are close to what we would like to achieve, I believe it is available in the US too? Also I have seen that many of you have already tested the most popular brands there so whichever comes out with the best numbers really.

Cheers for now Tim
Thank you Tim!

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to using it with the Triton Method the Params are a little elevated...... I presume it's the black bucket you are talking about?

Untitled.png

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, better to use standard Red Sea salt over Pro. I prefer to mix a small bucket of both together (Pro and regular) in a 5g bucket. I get much better magnesium levels, as well as calcium levels, where I like to keep them in the 420-440 range.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys - I read your beginners guide and visited your web-site, but was unable to find the information I was looking for.

Specifically, I was hoping to find literature explaining the various components of NSW for which you test and their specific significance to maintaining a healthy reef system and healthy reef inhabitants. Any citations, links to research, experimental data or supporting documentation concerning each of the specific elements for which you test how you arrived at your recommended ranges would also be appreciated.

Could you also share the names of any institutions, commercial or public aquariums or other third parties of significance which utilize and/or endorse your testing and methods?

My principle concern is not the accuracy of your methods, but rather the implied claim that simply matching NSW levels for these parameters is sufficient to run a successful reef system. If this is not your intended claim, then what portion of your claim results from your elemental testing and which portion from your recommended system configuration?

Thanks -

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are meaning the main Elementz solutions then yes, however you should try and spread it out throughout the day if you can so it is more stable.

Any of the small correction trace doses can be done daily or weekly as long as they don't exceed the maximum allowed dose in a single day.

Cheers Tim

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spoke to Linda (Ehsan's wife) and he is back from the trip tomorrow and has promised he will look at it as soon as he's back.

Cheers Tim

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get my alk down to 8 before sending in a test sample? Right now my alk is at 10. Or doesn't it matter?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been traveling. In Australia for a marine aquarium conference Eshan was a main speaker.

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been traveling. In Australia for a marine aquarium conference Eshan was a main speaker.
Don't they have internet there? I went to post today and noticed these old posts still unanswered. Not good. :(

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lots of people there Lots of people do not check forum posts especially authors and business people. As far as hand dosing you can do it. It's just a chore to do. Just like dosing cal,alk,and mag. Life comes up causes you to miss a dose. Consistency is what corals like.

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When starting the Triton method if my Alk is at 7.0. Do I use the Triton Alk booster to get it up to 8.0 before I start dosing the elements at 10ml/100 liters of tank volume?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back