The unofficial "Triton Method For Dummies" - a great read!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Frenchhorngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on setting up my first reef tank and want to use the Triton method. Since there will be virtually no water changes, how much RO/DI water do I need to keep on hand? I also plan on using an auto top off...Thanks.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on setting up my first reef tank and want to use the Triton method. Since there will be virtually no water changes, how much RO/DI water do I need to keep on hand? I also plan on using an auto top off...Thanks.

In my opinion, you should always keep enough RODI on hand for water changes regardless, and it's useful for ATO, mixing dosing solutions, cleaning, etc. While there are no scheduled water changes required under the method (and only once the tank is established, all input contaminants identified and removed), you do not want to be caught short in an emergency. Often a water change is the best option if things are struggling, not letting livestock suffer for 2 weeks while you await a test result that then tells you to do 6x 15% water changes anyway.

So long term, you could get away with storing less RODI, but I would keep plenty on hand until things settle down, especially if this is your first reef.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back