Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
This chart is helpful.

The manifold is run off a Jeabo DCT 100000 DC pump. It is separate and independent of the return pump.
The manifold is 3/4 inch PVC.
Even without the algae reactor, at max power from the pump, I'm only getting 691gph to 695gph.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the flow chart for the Pentair Aquatics Smart UV 40 watt.

20200329_095657.jpg

I now have the UV set at 207gph to help with parasites (Ick).
I'm going to leave it there until I can come up with a better idea. Who knows, I may end up scrapping the manifold or replacing the pump but I don't know of a pump more powerful with the same or smaller footprint.

Suggestions are very welcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenges just keep coming.

I was adjusting the position of the UV. In order to move it, I have to take the UV light power cord out of the unit. Very easy to do and you don't have to turn the flow off.
Well...
While taking the bulb out, It slipped out of my fingers and fell back into the quartz sleeve BREAKING the sleeve and water came RUSHING through. This was water rushing through BEHIND my tank.
Now I have wet hardwood floors and I have to get a new bulb and quartz sleeve.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenges just keep coming.

I was adjusting the position of the UV. In order to move it, I have to take the UV light power cord out of the unit. Very easy to do and you don't have to turn the flow off.
Well...
While taking the bulb out, It slipped out of my fingers and fell back into the quartz sleeve BREAKING the sleeve and water came RUSHING through. This was water rushing through BEHIND my tank.
Now I have wet hardwood floors and I have to get a new bulb and quartz sleeve.
dang man... Sometimes it feels like you just can’t win. Stick it out, once you surpass all these hurdles you’re going to have a pretty kick butt setup.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
This chart is helpful.

The manifold is run off a Jeabo DCT 100000 DC pump. It is separate and independent of the return pump.
The manifold is 3/4 inch PVC.
Even without the algae reactor, at max power from the pump, I'm only getting 691gph to 695gph.
Remember that chart is basically ideal parameters without any head pressure. Every 90 degree bend adds head pressure and impacts flow as well as whatever the vertical lift is. It seems unlikely you’ve got enough bends to cut the flow completely in half of the capacity of the pipe though. It’s possible that you’re not getting the max rated flow out of your pump. I can’t seem to find specs on your pump but most of the DC pumps are fairly small footprint. My COR 20 return pump is tiny compared to the AC pump it replaced. Since your manifold is independent it may be cheaper to try rebuilding it with larger diameter pipe before replacing the pump though.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still debating on what to do about the UV. I can scrap the manifold, rebuild the manifold with larger diameter pipe and / or replace the pump.
I am leaning towards rebuilding the manifold with larger diameter pipe.
I don't want to go larger than 1 inch. My return is 1 inch and drain is 1.5 inch. 1.5 is simply tooooooo large for a manifold.

I hooked up my Ozone generator today. For the first time since the tank got wet, it was clear! The slight haze i've had is gone!
The Ozone generator is pumping into an old, small skimmer (SCA 301). This skimmer is not meant for skimmer duty but to be a dedicated ozone reactor. I may see about getting a larger skimmer for the job but the SCA 301 works in a pinch.

My plan for this tank was to run:
Filter Roller
Skimmer
Sulfur denitrator
Carbon reactor (only when / if needed)
Algae reactor
UV Sterilizer
Ozone generator

I've got it all up and running except for the UV.

Pics to come...

Last edited:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious to know why you have had all those problems. Aside from a skimmer, what else do you do to maintain your tank? Ie... carbon reactor, uv, refuge, dose, etc.

I've had a 130 for 11 years and only get cyno once every couple years. I change out about 7gal of water every other week. I only run a skimmer and kalk stirrer for ato water.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know why you have had all those problems. Aside from a skimmer, what else do you do to maintain your tank? Ie... carbon reactor, uv, refuge, dose, etc.

I've had a 130 for 11 years and only get cyno once every couple years. I change out about 7gal of water every other week. I only run a skimmer and kalk stirrer for ato water.

Thank you for your question.
I am guessing you have not read the thread?
I don't have any problems to speak of.

It's a new tank. I have gone through diatoms and slightly hazy water.
I have gone through equipment set up issues but no real tank issues.

This system is designed to be a no water change system with minimal input.

I do have a carbon reactor with Rox.08 carbon but I keep it offline unless I NEED to use carbon to deal with something or remove something.

Im just getting all my ducks in a row.

You should read the whole build thread. It's interesting.
The personal journey I've been through in getting this build up and running is interesting and compelling.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was speaking of your prior build, not your new one and I have also seen what devices you are running on the new build. I'm glad that you are trouble free so far. I am just trying to correlate problems to devices so that I can avoid them myself. I have never ran an SPS heavy tank and I am pretty sure I am going to need to add more than a skimmer. I dont want to start having problems though or else I will abandon the idea of a sticky garden.

Thank you for your question.
I am guessing you have not read the thread?
I don't have any problems to speak of.

It's a new tank. I have gone through diatoms and slightly hazy water.
I have gone through equipment set up issues but no real tank issues.

This system is designed to be a no water change system with minimal input.

I do have a carbon reactor with Rox.08 carbon but I keep it offline unless I NEED to use carbon to deal with something or remove something.

Im just getting all my ducks in a row.

You should read the whole build thread. It's interesting.
The personal journey I've been through in getting this build up and running is interesting and compelling.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was speaking of your prior build, not your new one and I have also seen what devices you are running on the new build. I'm glad that you are trouble free so far. I am just trying to correlate problems to devices so that I can avoid them myself. I have never ran an SPS heavy tank and I am pretty sure I am going to need to add more than a skimmer. I dont want to start having problems though or else I will abandon the idea of a sticky garden.

Don't abandon the idea. If you want a SPS heavy display, you should absolutely try!

In my old build, I had dinos that I was unable to beat while the tank was active.
I would up beating them as i was breaking the tank down. Well, "I" did not beat them but they died back before the tank was completely broken down. That tank had no fish and was not fed for about 3 months. Dinos just died back.

You don't "need" all the equipment I have to be successful. A good skimmer and refugium can get it done.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in another thread but felt it belonged here in the build thread too.

I have a 180g newly set up tank. It's been up and running for about 2 months now. Everything is good. Params are good, lighting is good, equipment is good. (Check build thread for details)
This is an upgrade from my 110g tank that was 5 years old.

I have fish from my old tank in 2 holding tanks while I got the 180g ready. I have some legit problems though.

In a 40breeder I have...
One 7 to 8 inch V. Lionfish
One 4 to 5 inch Maroon Clownfish
One 3 to 4 inch 3 Stripe Damsel
One 2 inch 3 Stripe Damsel

In a 20G long I have...
One 3 inch Cinnamon Clownfish
One 3 inch Scopia Tang
One 4 inch Yellow Flanked Fairy Wrasse
One 2 to 3 inch Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse

In the 180g Display I have...
One 2 inch Yellowtail Damsel
One 1.5 inch Blue Fin Damsel
One 5 inch Yellow Tang
One 4 inch Sailfin Tang
One 5.5 inch Bicolor Foxface
Two 3 inch Cleaner Shrimp

In the old 110g, I thought the Maroon clownfish had killed the Cinnamon clownfish like 5 years ago. Come to find out, he had jumped into the overflow and lived there for 5 years.

The two wrasses were purchased about a month or so ago. They are supposed to go into the 180g when it's ready. (It's ready)

The two damsels in the display were purchased to keep the cycle going. I did not want to continue adding ammonia to a cycled tank.
The Yellow tang was a rescue from Petco. He was not doing well in their tank and I got him for 50% off. I figured I could use him for algae control.
Foxface and Sailfin were the same deal. All 3 seem to be doing very well.

Here are the Dilemmas.
Cinnamon clownfish with Maroon Clownfish...
Can I put the Cinnamon Clownfish in the 180 first to get acclimated and stake out his territory then add the Maroon Clownfish later?

Scopia Tang with Yellow and Sailfin...
I should be able to add him with the much larger tangs. Right?

V. Lionfish with 2inch Yellowtail Damsel, 1.5inch Bluefin Damsel, 2.5inch Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse, 2 Cleaner Shrimp...
If the Lion goes in LAST, will he be cool with the smaller fish and NOT eat them? He has not eaten the 3 Stripe Damsels in the past 3 years I've had him and they have shared a SMALL 40B tank for the past year.

This has been a LONG post but I wanted to be accurate.
Thanks in advance for your help, guidance and advice.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in another thread but felt it belonged here in the build thread too.

I have a 180g newly set up tank. It's been up and running for about 2 months now. Everything is good. Params are good, lighting is good, equipment is good. (Check build thread for details)
This is an upgrade from my 110g tank that was 5 years old.

I have fish from my old tank in 2 holding tanks while I got the 180g ready. I have some legit problems though.

In a 40breeder I have...
One 7 to 8 inch V. Lionfish
One 4 to 5 inch Maroon Clownfish
One 3 to 4 inch 3 Stripe Damsel
One 2 inch 3 Stripe Damsel

In a 20G long I have...
One 3 inch Cinnamon Clownfish
One 3 inch Scopia Tang
One 4 inch Yellow Flanked Fairy Wrasse
One 2 to 3 inch Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse

In the 180g Display I have...
One 2 inch Yellowtail Damsel
One 1.5 inch Blue Fin Damsel
One 5 inch Yellow Tang
One 4 inch Sailfin Tang
One 5.5 inch Bicolor Foxface
Two 3 inch Cleaner Shrimp

In the old 110g, I thought the Maroon clownfish had killed the Cinnamon clownfish like 5 years ago. Come to find out, he had jumped into the overflow and lived there for 5 years.

The two wrasses were purchased about a month or so ago. They are supposed to go into the 180g when it's ready. (It's ready)

The two damsels in the display were purchased to keep the cycle going. I did not want to continue adding ammonia to a cycled tank.
The Yellow tang was a rescue from Petco. He was not doing well in their tank and I got him for 50% off. I figured I could use him for algae control.
Foxface and Sailfin were the same deal. All 3 seem to be doing very well.

Here are the Dilemmas.
Cinnamon clownfish with Maroon Clownfish...
Can I put the Cinnamon Clownfish in the 180 first to get acclimated and stake out his territory then add the Maroon Clownfish later?

Scopia Tang with Yellow and Sailfin...
I should be able to add him with the much larger tangs. Right?

V. Lionfish with 2inch Yellowtail Damsel, 1.5inch Bluefin Damsel, 2.5inch Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse, 2 Cleaner Shrimp...
If the Lion goes in LAST, will he be cool with the smaller fish and NOT eat them? He has not eaten the 3 Stripe Damsels in the past 3 years I've had him and they have shared a SMALL 40B tank for the past year.

This has been a LONG post but I wanted to be accurate.
Thanks in advance for your help, guidance and advice.
I can’t speak to your other issues but a 5” Maroon Clown can be nasty. You should probably put that in close to last whether you keep the Cinnamon or not. Was there aggression between the two of them before? If the Cinnamon really toughed it out for 5 years in the overflow should its reward for making it out be getting mauled by the Maroon :). If you think you can catch one or the other easily I guess you could try it but I would probably re-home one or the other.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak to your other issues but a 5” Maroon Clown can be nasty. You should probably put that in close to last whether you keep the Cinnamon or not. Was there aggression between the two of them before? If the Cinnamon really toughed it out for 5 years in the overflow should its reward for making it out be getting mauled by the Maroon :). If you think you can catch one or the other easily I guess you could try it but I would probably re-home one or the other.

I "might" be able to catch one or the other if I had to. I'm pretty sure i could if need be.
The Maroon Clownfish and Lionfish will be the last to go in the 180g.

The 40b is a pretty peaceful tank but it houses the most problematic fish.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Fluvial FX6 Canister Filter!
I don't NEED one but it's great to have.

I filled it up with mechanical media only. Just sponges, pads and floss.
I hooked it up to the front of the tank, turned the return pump off, turned over ALL my sand, cleaned all the glass inside the tank and let er rip.

I am IMPRESSED at just how much water this filter processes and how quickly it turned the tank from so cloudy you can't see through to the back wall to CLEAR.

I am not going to keep this filter running but
This will be my polisher filter and I can use it whenever I want to really get "stuff" out the tank.

Last edited:

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zomg!!!!!!!! Wow!

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fluval worked great to clear the water.
It was HORRIBLE for the skimmer!
Ugggggh.
Skimmer has been overflowing since I turned it and the return pump back on yesterday.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the sponges and floss.
Just like a new filter sock, all these new sponges have the skimmer going onto overdrive.

Im sure it will be like this for a few days at least.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE...

I added the Cinnamon Clown, the Scopia Tang, the Red Head salon Fairy Wrasse and the Yellow Flanked Fairy Wrasse to the 180 today. They were the fish that were housed in the 20g long (frag) tank. I added them to the 180g just after lights out.

It's time for me to begin to break down the holding tanks and give the less aggressive fish a chance to establish territories.

The two 3 stripe Damsels will be the next to go into the 180 in a couple of weeks.
The Maroon Clownfish will be a couple of weeks after that followed by the Lionfish.

Wish me luck!
Better yet, wish the fish luck.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back