OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Purple Tang was harrased by the scopia tang so much that he developed ich.
It's a light case of ich and I'm hopeful he will fight it off and make a quick recovery.

I will be watching the tank today to see what the aggression level is. If the scopia decides to leave the Purple alone, then he might make it through.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great DJ
Thank you.
I'm trying to get it to be better than ever.

The Purple Tang is hiding in a corner of the reef behind a large Sinularia coral. He's being cautious but I believe he will be just fine. When the Scopia Tang comes around, the Purple goes on the attack then retreats back to his hiding spot.
I fed the reef today and the Purple picked a little food out the water column but he did not venture out. He just ate what came to him. It's a good sign to see him eat even if it's just a little bit.
Ich looks better this evening than it did this morning so hopefully he's getting his strength back and is not as stressed.

I hope to take pics tomorrow.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend is having similar tang aggressions right now in a similar reef thats neat to see dynamics at work. What you guys are able to do with large reefs is astounding

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Purple Tang is covered in ich today.
I could pull him from the display to treat him but I'm not going to do that for a few reasons.

If I pull him to treat ich, he will be a brand new to the reef again when I reintroduce him after treatment. The scopia will start harassing him again.
The aggression is tapering off now. Don't want to start that back up.

The reef will still have ich present when I reintroduce him so he could be reinfected.

He's already stressed. Pulling him and treating him will add to the stress and further weaken him.

He's hiding in the same corner but he is still eating when fed. Just a little but... still eating.
I'm about to do up some medicated food. Metroplex, kanaplex and furan-2 added to the food. These do not treat ich but should help build up his immune system and stop any secondary infections.

I need him to build up his immune system to be able to deal with ich because I'm not taking all the fish out to go fallow.

So for the reasons above, the Purple Tang will have to recover on its own.
I will continue to feed him and hope he gets strong enough to beat ich.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Purple Tang is improving and trying to venture out of his hiding place. He fights the scopia on sight!
I can't wait for them to get along. I know it will take a while.

I'm cleaning my pumps (again) but this time in muratic acid. It does so much of a better job and takes waaaaaay less time.

Pics are coming but I'm trying to wait to I have everything in place.
Healthy Purple Tang
Clean pumps
Corals placed somewhere other than a rack on the front glass.

In other news...

My lights are up for sale.
Reefbreeders Photon 48 V2+
Sunblaster T5 48" fixture
2x ATI 48" Blue Plus bulbs
1 ATI 48" Actinic bulb
Kessil A Series Mounting Arm
Kessil a360x Spectral Controller
2x Angle Adapters
2x Narrow Reflectors

I've taken extremely good care of my stuff.
Let's see who needs this gear.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see things are improving with the PT.
Wish I was closer to get some of the equipment.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see things are improving with the PT.
Wish I was closer to get some of the equipment.
Thank you.

The Purple Tang is looking better everyday. The ich is dropping off and I don't think it will reattach as he is getting stronger.
However...
The war between the Scopia and the Purple continues.

The Purple hurt the scopia yesterday. Not badly to where I had to intervene but he was swimming with one fin close to his body.

The Purple has had a rough time but he ain't no punk!

Hopefully they will get along pretty soon or at least learn to tolerate each other.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess things fail after a while.

My ATO failed. I got in touch with XpAqua. I sent them my bad unit and they tested to see what was wrong. They are sending me a new unit!

My Clarisea Sk-5000 motor failed yesterday. I called Ecotech and told them what is doing/ not doing.
They are sending me a new motor!

Is great when a company stands behind their products.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Fathers Day!
The Purple Tang is no longer showing any signs of ich.
His fins are pretty much healed up but he is still very cautious and pretty much stays in his corner. He eats but I have had to target feed him by putting food in that corner while feeding the other fish separate food on the other side of the tank.

Aggression is still an issue between the Purple and the Scopia but it's not as bad as it was. The Purple definitely holds his own against the scopia.
I'm just waiting for him to be comfortable enough to explore the reef and swim freely.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is my time for reef woes.

Ich is spreading to other fish.
Naso won't make it through the next 12 hours.
Purple Tang has ich again.
Scopia has ich.
Yellow tang has ich.
Foxface has ich.
Sailfin has ich.
Other fish are not showing ich yet but I'm sure they are affected.

I whipped up a batch of medicated food and will feed the fish to help build up their immune system.

I might try ruby reef.
It's natural and can't really hurt. It's not a cure but it might help along with the meds.

Last edited:

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love all the corals and new lights, your tank is looking amazing.
However, I'm really sorry to hear about the ICH problem, I'm hoping and praying all your fish come out of it alright.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is my time for reef woes.

Ich is spreading to other fish.
Naso won't make it through the next 12 hours.
Purple Tang has ich again.
Scopia has ich.
Yellow tang has ich.
Foxface has ich.
Sailfin has ich.
Other gigs are not showing ich yet but I'm sure they are affected.

I whipped up a batch of medicated food and will feed the fish to help build up their immune system.

I might try ruby reef.
It's natural and can't really hurt. It's not a cure but it might help along with the meds.
That’s terrible news and I’m sorry to hear about it. Keep them well fed with the medicated food and hope for the best. Good luck.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the fish get better quickly.
Sorry about the naso tang.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

At least I have a bit of good news.
The Purple Tang is out and about. The aggression as subsided but is not totally gone yet.

I have not lost any more fish. The ich is still present but is not real bad. All fish are actively eating.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugggrh!!!

It looks like Dinos are back.
I'm not sure but i'm having to clean my glass daily. Reddish film covering the glass and pumps daily. I don't think it's cyano and I don't think it's algae.

It also looks like one of my wav pumps went out. I have it apart right now soaking in water and acid to see if a thorough cleaning will bring it back to life. If not, I'm contacting Neptune. They have been pretty good with me in the past so we will see what happens.

One of my Acro is slowly dying. It's slowly losing tissue. Most of my other corals are looking pretty good but this one is not doing well. I have one more acro that is dying but I think my Hollywood Stunner is killing it.

I'm still feeding medicated food to the fish and it looks like their condition is improving. The Purple Tang still shows ich but he's still actively eating and swimming all around the reef. No real problems with the Scopia anymore but he has to stay clear of the Yellow Tang now.

I'm STILL waiting on my replacement motor for the Clarisea SK-5000 filter roller and the Controller and pump for my XpAqua ATO. Hopefully both will arrive by next week. I'm tired of switching out filter socks everyday and adding fresh water at least 2x daily. Tracking says the XpAqua shipment should be here by Saturday according to USPS and the Clarisea says it should be here by tomorrow according to FedEx. Problem is that both SHOULD have been here last week.
Clarisea forgot to mail the motor out. I called them and they said "oops. we will get it shipped out today" That was Monday. XpAqua said it looks like the 1st one mailed out was lost so they sent me another. Only thing with that is that they sent me a tracking number that showed it never got to the post office.
well, both are now on their way and hopefully I receive them.

Well....
That's the update.

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugggrh!!!

It looks like Dinos are back.
I'm not sure but i'm having to clean my glass daily. Reddish film covering the glass and pumps daily. I don't think it's cyano and I don't think it's algae.

It also looks like one of my wav pumps went out. I have it apart right now soaking in water and acid to see if a thorough cleaning will bring it back to life. If not, I'm contacting Neptune. They have been pretty good with me in the past so we will see what happens.

One of my Acro is slowly dying. It's slowly losing tissue. Most of my other corals are looking pretty good but this one is not doing well. I have one more acro that is dying but I think my Hollywood Stunner is killing it.

I'm still feeding medicated food to the fish and it looks like their condition is improving. The Purple Tang still shows ich but he's still actively eating and swimming all around the reef. No real problems with the Scopia anymore but he has to stay clear of the Yellow Tang now.

I'm STILL waiting on my replacement motor for the Clarisea SK-5000 filter roller and the Controller and pump for my XpAqua ATO. Hopefully both will arrive by next week. I'm tired of switching out filter socks everyday and adding fresh water at least 2x daily. Tracking says the XpAqua shipment should be here by Saturday according to USPS and the Clarisea says it should be here by tomorrow according to FedEx. Problem is that both SHOULD have been here last week.
Scotch forgot to mail the motor out. I called them and they said "oops. we will get it shipped out today" That was Monday. XpAqua said it looks like the 1st one mailed out was lost so they sent me another. Only thing with that is that they sent me a tracking number that showed it never got to the post office.
well, both are now on their way and hopefully I receive them.

Well....
That's the update.
So just possible dinos, a broken wav pump, a dying acro, ick management and a couple of much needed parts being punted around the country somewhere by shipping companies. Other than that everything is perfect, right?

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just possible dinos, a broken wav pump, a dying acro, ick management and a couple of much needed parts being punted around the country somewhere by shipping companies. Other than that everything is perfect, right?
Yup..
Besides those things, everything is peachy!
Lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back