OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finished the aquascapes for the 40 gallons! I'll soak and rinse the rock this week and add it next weekend. I used the same method as the main tank: attached rocks with super glue then secured the rocks with e-marco-400 then covered the e-marco joints with super glue + rock dust.

PXL_20230402_021753379.jpg

PXL_20230402_040957956.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went to the LFS yesterday...their main display tank popped a seam and they had to emergency move all of their fish and coral. They ending up putting a lot of the corals and fish up for sale. They didn't have any sand sifting gobies, but I was able to purchase a Lemon Wrasse that was in their main display and super acclimated to people/other tankmates. They also had a really personable Mimic Chocolate Tang that was significantly smaller than my Sailfin so I decided to give that a try. I also picked up another torch, frogspawn, and 3 zoa frags. Both fish were eating seconds after being introduced to the tank and no serious aggression between any fish so far.

Sailfin Tang
1.jpg

Scribbled Anthias
2.jpg

Mimic Chocolate Tang Half Black Mimic Tang
3.jpg

Lemon Wrasse
4.jpg

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the LFS yesterday...their main display tank popped a seam and they had to emergency move all of their fish and coral. They ending up putting a lot of the corals and fish up for sale. They didn't have any sand sifting gobies, but I was able to purchase a Lemon Wrasse that was in their main display and super acclimated to people/other tankmates. They also had a really personable Mimic Chocolate Tang that was significantly smaller than my Sailfin so I decided to give that a try. I also picked up another torch, frogspawn, and 3 zoa frags. Both fish were eating seconds after being introduced to the tank and no serious aggression between any fish so far.

Sailfin Tang
1.jpg

Scribbled Anthias
2.jpg

Mimic Chocolate Tang
3.jpg

Lemon Wrasse
4.jpg
Honestly don’t think that’s a Chocolate tang. It looks more like a Half Black Mimic Tang. You can see the difference between the face of each, with your tang being a lot more flat and the blue on its tail. These stay even smaller than the Chocolate as well

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly don’t think that’s a Chocolate tang. It looks more like a Half Black Mimic Tang. You can see the difference between the face of each, with your tang being a lot more flat and the blue on its tail. These stay even smaller than the Chocolate as well
I was hoping someone might provide an alternative ID. When I googled mimic chocolate tang at the pet store, I was thinking it didn't look right. I think you nailed it! I'm glad it'll be smaller too. Thanks for the ID correction!

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 40 Gallon Breeders have Aquascapes!

3 Tank FTS
DSC_0639-2.jpg

Left 40 Gallon
DSC_0628.jpg

Right 40 Gallon
DSC_0634.jpg

I'm really digging the TopLids standard lid
DSC_0732.jpg

The fish appreciate the feeding door :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:
DSC_0699.jpg

Clowns waiting patiently :smiling-face-with-halo:
DSC_0711.jpg

Posing for food
DSC_0702.jpg

The Torch Rock
DSC_0676.jpg

Starting a Zoa Garden to the right of the Torches
DSC_0679.jpg

Random Full Tank Shots
DSC_0663.jpg
DSC_0743-2.jpg
Side FTS .jpg

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s just stunning and an engineering feat ! You got a real knack for the aquascaping, love all 3 ! Wish you were a stick head, so many mounting options in those tanks for some acros ! lol

Talk about thinking ‘outside the box’ … pun intended. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How’s the 180 bud!? Whats the progress on the 40’s? They maturing? How are all the fish?
It's doing good! The 40s are maturing nicely :) I'll need to get some updated pics of them soon. Fish are all much fatter and hopefully happier lol ... I've also added a few
Wow, that’s just stunning and an engineering feat ! You got a real knack for the aquascaping, love all 3 ! Wish you were a stick head, so many mounting options in those tanks for some acros ! lol

Talk about thinking ‘outside the box’ … pun intended. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thank you! I'll try some more SPS down the line. I recently picked up a rainbow monti, and I have a small Anacropora frag in there so that counts, right?

I started getting a Red Planaria outbreak in the display. My LFS had an outbreak in their Zoa tank, and I didn't listen to my own advice and introduced a Zoa frag without dipping. I ended up picking up a Melanurus Wrasse to help out. He has done a number on the flat worms. I do see a few here and there but it's way better. My LFS had a large shipment of Blue-spotted Jawfish so I decided to give one a try. He's already created his den and eating frozen mysis and my auto feeder food. I may move him to one of the 40s if the main display is too warm. I'm currently keeping it at 77...is that too warm for him?

Here are some updated pics:

Blue-spotted Jawfish
DSC_1063.jpg

Very Full Melanurus Wrasse
smaller wrasse.jpg

Scribbled Anthia
DSC_1087.jpg

SMALLER ANTHIAS.jpg

Lemon Wrasse

DSC_1090.jpg

Chocolate Mimic Tang
smaller tang.jpg

Sailfin Tang
smaller sailfin.jpg

Full Tank Shot - Can you spot the jawfish?
smaller fts.jpg

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's doing good! The 40s are maturing nicely :) I'll need to get some updated pics of them soon. Fish are all much fatter and hopefully happier lol ... I've also added a few

Thank you! I'll try some more SPS down the line. I recently picked up a rainbow monti, and I have a small Anacropora frag in there so that counts, right?

I started getting a Red Planaria outbreak in the display. My LFS had an outbreak in their Zoa tank, and I didn't listen to my own advice and introduced a Zoa frag without dipping. I ended up picking up a Melanurus Wrasse to help out. He has done a number on the flat worms. I do see a few here and there but it's way better. My LFS had a large shipment of Blue-spotted Jawfish so I decided to give one a try. He's already created his den and eating frozen mysis and my auto feeder food. I may move him to one of the 40s if the main display is too warm. I'm currently keeping it at 77...is that too warm for him?

Here are some updated pics:

Blue-spotted Jawfish
DSC_1063.jpg

Very Full Melanurus Wrasse
smaller wrasse.jpg

Scribbled Anthia
DSC_1087.jpg

SMALLER ANTHIAS.jpg

Lemon Wrasse

DSC_1090.jpg

Chocolate Mimic Tang
smaller tang.jpg

Sailfin Tang
smaller sailfin.jpg

Full Tank Shot
smaller fts.jpg
Looking really nice my friend!

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had some issues awhile back with a few frags so I decided to do an ICP test and found out I have elevated tin in this system. I am thinking the plumbing I added for the 40s is causing this so I've been doing weekly water changes. All of the frags seem to be much happier now. I'm finally seeing some growth and better coloration. I'll send out another ICP soon and post my results. I'm also dosing trace elements now too!

Reef2Reef user @abc123 custom made me some amazing brackets for my Radion Mounts to mount my new 48" AI Blade Glow over the main tank. I've had the light up for a month, and I love it!

I've also added a few new critters. I added a small Papuan Toby Puffer to the left 40 gallon (he's very friendly) and 2 cleaner shrimp to the right 40 gallon. I was also temporarily housing a Blue Throat Trigger (Walter) in the right 40 and he finally graduated to the main tank. He is now full of personality. All of the existing fish are doing great!

Main Tank
Main FTS.jpg

Left 40 / Main
Left 40 2.jpg

Right 40 / Main

Right 40 2.jpg

Left 40
Left 40.jpg

Right 40
Right 40.jpg

Sailfin and Mimic Tang
Tangs.jpg

Melanarus Wrasse
Wrasse.jpg

Walter
Walter 1.jpg

Walter Flexing
Walter 2.jpg

Bubble
Bubble.jpg

Hammer
Hammer.jpg

Octo
Octo.jpg

Sinularia
DSC_1529.jpg

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back