OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What was the issue if you don’t mind sharing? Seems like the dimensions I’d want to go with on my next tank
The leveling feet that were provided with the tank were not long enough to properly level the tank. I had to order longer leveling feet to get the tank level. Check post #4.

Just test it with freshwater before the sand then drain?
My rock and sand were dry (not live) so I was able to fill with RO/DI water and then I added salt once everything looked good.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup … following along as this may be my upgrade from my RS250…or the RS625 G2.

So 5 months wet…going thru the uglies yet ? Curious how that Marco rock is gonna work out.

Looks like your return line may be kinked…I’d get that straightened out as that has the potential for bursting ….what’s the sump look like now ?

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rock Scape is simply……Beautiful!
This is Awesome!!
Thank you!!

Nice setup … following along as this may be my upgrade from my RS250…or the RS625 G2.

So 5 months wet…going thru the uglies yet ? Curious how that Marco rock is gonna work out.

Looks like your return line may be kinked…I’d get that straightened out as that has the potential for bursting ….what’s the sump look like now ?
I am getting a little film algae / diatoms on the glass & sand. There is some on the rock but otherwise nothing bad yet. I was waiting for it to get a little uglier before adding my CUC. I also just realized I was running my Radions at 100% peak since I set them up so I dropped that to 60% peak today. I used the acclimation mode for my new frags and everything was looking good then I noticed a few frags towards the top were losing some color after the acclimation period ended.

Here is the return line today. Do you think I still need to adjust it?
PXL_20221206_014024059.jpg

I did some water tests today:

Alkalinity (7.2) - Low?
This was lower than I expected so I am trying out soda ash liquid dosing using the BRS calculator. Going to dose 1 ml per day until I reach the desired level then test to see how it goes from there (BRS suggested 80 ml for my tank size and Alkalinity level). I know a consistent level is key here.

Magnesium (1500) - High?
Calcium (480)
Phosphates (0.07)
Nitrates (0)
…I really need to add more fish

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!

I am getting a little film algae / diatoms on the glass & sand. There is some on the rock but otherwise nothing bad yet. I was waiting for it to get a little uglier before adding my CUC. I also just realized I was running my Radions at 100% peak since I set them up so I dropped that to 60% peak today. I used the acclimation mode for my new frags and everything was looking good then I noticed a few frags towards the top were losing some color after the acclimation period ended.

Here is the return line today. Do you think I still need to adjust it?
PXL_20221206_014024059.jpg

I did some water tests today:

Alkalinity (7.2) - Low?
This was lower than I expected so I am trying out soda ash liquid dosing using the BRS calculator. Going to dose 1 ml per day until I reach the desired level then test to see how it goes from there (BRS suggested 80 ml for my tank size and Alkalinity level). I know a consistent level is key here.

Magnesium (1500) - High?
Calcium (480)
Phosphates (0.07)
Nitrates (0)
…I really need to add more fish
Alk can be increased, seems like general consensus says to get it to atleast 8 dkh. Mine hovers around 8.3 and the corals look happy and flourishing.

Magnesium level seems to be good, depends on who you ask, mine is around 1490 and I haven’t had issues, and that is just from the reef crystals salt, no dosing yet.

Nitrates definitely need to be brought up, maybe consider dosing some until you can get a fish in there?

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, agree with kb…I’d bump that alk, and start dosing NeoNitro maybe. Run mine also around 8.2-8.5, heavy SPS, others are fine. Give ya an idea of my alk consumption and what I’m dealing with…started with 2 part, switched to Kalk, and now Kalk AND 2 part.
F67C59A7-B0F4-4F87-8722-F71D0B955576.jpeg

Hose looks much better, just want to avoid seeing it collapsing or kinked. Kills your return flow. Best scenario is keeping it straight up, but you may have some sump restrictions….idk….or of course hard plumbing it with a short flex hose, which is what I’ve done….attached pic.

Good move on the lights…little algae I’d expect, but sounds like you got it under control. Did you soak your rocks prior to adding? Some have kept the dry rock in salt water, heated and aerated and adding bacteria, for 3 months b4 adding to display. Next time around for me…TBS live rock !

0B9AA1E9-1F6D-45DC-9A79-C089E15F1124.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too!!

I appreciate it!

Here are some more pics of the rockwork from today (I'll try to get some better ones later):

Right side:
Seattle-Day-5-21.jpg

Seattle-Day-5-16.jpg

Seattle-Day-5-17.jpg

Left side:
Seattle-Day-5-20.jpg

Seattle-Day-5-18.jpg
What camera are you using? Professional material you showed us right there :winking-face-with-tongue:

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Big Updates! I added a soda ash doser to help keep my alkalinity up. I got the BRS soda ash mix and BRS 1.1 ml/min pump. I ended up pairing that with my kasa smart power strip to dose in 1 min increments 8 times a day. My alkalinity is currently sitting around 8.4.

I also visited a semi-local fish store called Nemo Aquarium and finally got some fish and a nice torch coral. Took some of these on my phone and some on my Nikon D7500.
smaller.png
PXL_20230109_160859504.jpg

PXL_20230109_173656728 (1) (1).jpg

3.jpg
DSC_9080.jpg
DSC_9118.jpg

DSC_9197.jpg

Last edited:

kiet_kat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was never a fan of FOWLR tanks but I wouldn’t mind doing it with this scape. Be a shame to cover it up with corals

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beatutiful fish, what's the name of those anthias? And what's the care for them?

Back