The worst part of owning fish.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting here as it’s not an emergency and it doesn’t relate to marine fish. I’m just sad and thought I’d share with the community.

I’m losing my pallifina. She’s an old lady, has a tumor on her caudal peduncle. I forget the estimated age. It breaks my heart and I don’t want to see her go. She’s had the tumor for some time now, but for the last three weeks she has been off feed. I’ve offered live, frozen, pelleted, gel, flake, floating and sinking. She looks at it. And that’s it. No effort to eat. The past three days she’s been spending most of the day in the top left corner near the back and just looks at me. I don’t want her to starve to death( pallifina are large fish, would be a very long agonizing process for her) but I don’t have clove oil or vodka or any other alcohol. I can’t cut her spine, or anything like that. I just don’t know what to do and I want to cry. This is the last species of Wild bettas I own. She’s my sole female. The mated male will be absolutely lost without her, and I’ve seen it in the past, he will most likely go off feed and perish as well. The other day I lost my paradise female(she jumped somehow, and while I thought she was recovering, she bloated and died) and losing another fish so close is just heart wrenching. Especially this girl. She’s my oldest lived fish. At least six with me.

Anyhow, sorry for being the Debbie downer, I just wanted to have a virtual shoulder to cry on as family just doesn’t quite get it. Here’s some pics of my sweet lady. She may not be the most colorful little fish but she’s still awesome. CAB6AD7C-3BCF-4423-BA48-8FA9BADD13A2.jpeg 73227B92-5244-4C21-8C53-2DB747F36748.jpeg 84CDCE99-7D80-4817-93D7-EEE20341EF65.jpeg F959DE26-D8BF-43BD-84FE-3A1DADE65100.jpeg 385079A0-967F-4F46-B8C3-14F1D725E971.jpeg C159C8F7-DC27-428F-8278-182A6B1421E8.jpeg 29B5D2EB-07B7-4B8F-B0A3-BEE2A1BE314E.jpeg 253C5D97-703F-421C-BF83-7678BCEBA7C2.jpeg 00008170-D9CB-43CA-8277-BCA38A2AC03B.jpeg 075A1D39-A65A-432F-85A6-0DC29B2D694D.jpeg 48BEE8C2-F619-4079-99C5-1BBF2477D342.jpeg 550B85FD-BFBB-47F8-BF0A-CA71E480043E.jpeg 50F44E22-BDD0-4043-A8E2-F43BD6557BD4.jpeg

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of freshwater fish. But to each their own.
I mean, many aren’t. And I wouldn’t call her a very attractive fish, quite honestly most of the females in the unimaculata complex are quite plain looking. It’s just I’ve had her for such a long time and her personality is amazing. Also, I’ve had wild bettas for so long, I’m not even sure what I’d do without them. I’m not in a financial situation where I can purchase more(and especially with the current state of the world) I was just ranting, I guess.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She is a lovely old girl. I'm sorry for your sorrow, but I know you have given her a wonderful life. Fresh or salt, it's a life and a love. We're all here for you.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, many aren’t. And I wouldn’t call her a very attractive fish, quite honestly most of the females in the unimaculata complex are quite plain looking. It’s just I’ve had her for such a long time and her personality is amazing. Also, I’ve had wild bettas for so long, I’m not even sure what I’d do without them. I’m not in a financial situation where I can purchase more(and especially with the current state of the world) I was just ranting, I guess.
Ignore them, that person is Ignorant. Doesn’t matter fresh or salt or whatever. This is your pet and you love them very much. She is very beautiful and I’m sorry to hear she isn’t doing well. I really hope she pulls thru. I know exactly how you feel I love my my fish very much.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw man this sucks, she is a beautiful fish. You are absolutely correct this is indeed the absolute worst part of keeping fish, specially those that have been with us for many years. Stay strong op

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. Yes she’s quite special. Years ago, they were the first wild species I saw on the SMP site, and I absolutely fell in love with them then. It took me several years to obtain and the seller whom I got these from is no longer raising any fish. I do have some meds in transit, as a last ditch effort. If she would eat, it would be ok. I just can’t let her starve to death. Maybe the spectrogram will help pep her appetite.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately, All pets have a lifespan and a challenge when in captivity . Like ourselves as humans.... we have to recognize and praise having a good life and although you have provided such- at some point our time will expire
Take lots if pics in memory but for now... enjoy this little guy and add liquid vitamins to the water.
YOU NEVER KNOW

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's hard to lose a member of the family no matter how insignificant it might seem to others. Do the right thing and put her down now. She is obviously suffering. Go get one to replace her and you will feel better and the other will have a tank mate. It's just the life cycle of being a pet owner. It gets easier every time but by no means is it ever anything close to easy... the first time is always the hardest. Have a friend do it if you cant stomach it. Personally I think its disrespectful to the animal if you dont do it yourself. They will be much calmer with a familiar face at their end and you will feel much better later knowing that you were there for them until the end.... trust me. Been there done that too many times.

Next time, and there will be a next time, this happens spoil them rotten towards the end. My dogs always got filet and ribeye the last month or two.

OP
OP
LadyMac

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go get one to replace her and you will feel better and the other will have a tank mate.
My issue with another is, this isn’t a fish found locally. And I’m not even sure anyone in the states has any right now. Plus species locality does matter, as It’s a species in the maintenance program. So even if I find “pallifina”, it may not be “Batu Licin” but instead “Hungan” or “Maura Taweh.” It’s very hard to tell the difference on them, it’s subtle. I’d need a person who knows where the parent fish came from. :(

davescj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some place like here would be the best place to find specific species. I think it is amazing the work you are doing to preserve the species and the genetic specificity. It makes the rest of us look better than we deserve.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back