Theiling Compact Rollermat - Who’s Running One?

Magicgnome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone figured out a make it silent. Mine is super loud and sits in about 8in of water in the sump with the red stand it comes with.

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too, I just got one for my Reefer350 build. Got it over the clarisea as it seems easier to change rolls. Its hard to find anyone that uses them. My biggest concern is noise... they recommend putting it way high in the sump so Im worried about splashing. How is yours?

Mine's hard plumbed into the overflow using 3/4. Seems half of a 3/4 union fits perfectly on the input tube. The way this is set up I can unscrew the union, then tilt the input tube toward the front of the tank and pull it out...really easy, takes just one min. Since this isnt pressurized Im considering just friction fitting and not glue.

The issue is my sump has a 2" lip on the rim. The bracket on the rollermat wont fit over it. I really dont want to have to put a bunch of stuff in the sump to stand it on. Im looking to have someone 3d print a bracket for me.

20210207_104608 (Medium).jpg

20210207_104622 (Small).jpg

OP
OP
CCK_8814

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Mine just sits on a custom eggcrate stand I made because if I hung it by the lip it didn’t allow for enough room above it to easily remove and replace the filter roller. Mine has been pretty reliable, no issues really. Only thing I recently noticed was some rust building on the motor assembly.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine, I have a basement sump so space is not an issue. I made my egg crate stand high enough to just barely have the out feed under the roller mat submerged and it is dead silent. I love mine so far! Will never run a tank without one again!
38F15D75-07C8-45A9-83A5-6B6E7FE90D4B.jpeg
01B24E56-1927-4C24-8951-EA27A2FBCF60.jpeg

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is hanging from the bracket and is dead silent and doesn't generate significant salt creep. It's probably 5-6" deep. For space efficiency, I would want to get it as close to the wall/corner as possible. I hate to suggest hacking up a brand new sump but have you considered removing some of the rim material to get it closer to the wall? On second thought, that rim is there for a reason.

A sleek 3D printed extension for the legs would be a nice solution.

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sleek 3D printed extension for the legs would be a nice solution.
If I can get it to hang it would free up a bunch of space at the bottom of the sump. If the printed bracket doesnt work I'll probably jury rig something to stand it on, PVC legs or something.

The bracket on the rollermat is 1/2" at its widest, just cant understand who designed it that way? How many of us use rimless sumps?

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is using it as a hang on, how high is it over the sump? Limited height requirements. Want to see if it will work. Thank guys.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is using it as a hang on, how high is it over the sump? Limited height requirements. Want to see if it will work. Thank guys.
From the hanging bracket to the top of the unit with a 1.5" union on top is approximately 9.5"
From there you have to decide what your plumbing adds to the height. Mine reduces to 1" and goes directly into a 90-degree elbow and a gate valve. Total height from the bracket is about 13" and don't forget you need a little bit of overhead to put it together.

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the hanging bracket to the top of the unit with a 1.5" union on top is approximately 9.5"
From there you have to decide what your plumbing adds to the height. Mine reduces to 1" and goes directly into a 90-degree elbow and a gate valve. Total height from the bracket is about 13" and don't forget you need a little bit of overhead to put it together.
Thanks Kjames. This will give me an idea. I have 14" of space so I have to be a bit creative in narrowing it down. thanks again.

jjaroska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard much on if anyone has tried coolant paper in these. I have the original rollermat and it would be about 1/3 the cost. I feed heavy and go through a role about every 2 months.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard much on if anyone has tried coolant paper in these. I have the original rollermat and it would be about 1/3 the cost. I feed heavy and go through a role about every 2 months.
Not yet! I plan too though. Just got the 3 pack replacements for my compact. Whereas the first roll has lasted about a month they look so much smaller than the singles and I was very dissatisfied opening the box. Others have said the same thing but had no idea really how much smaller the replacement rolls seem.

rcassiram521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Theiling Compact Rollermat today and am looking for tips + tricks on the install. I’m hoping it will fit in my sump since I don’t have much room. I know I’m going to have to modify my current drain tubing. My biggest question is do I need to keep using flex/soft hose or can I hard plumb with PVC? I read somewhere that if hard plumbed it can be difficult to remove the roll when it’s time to change. Pictures welcomed!
Where did you buy it from as I cannot find anyone in the US

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back