Theiling Compact Rollermat - Who’s Running One?

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Picked up a Theiling Compact Rollermat today and am looking for tips + tricks on the install. I’m hoping it will fit in my sump since I don’t have much room. I know I’m going to have to modify my current drain tubing. My biggest question is do I need to keep using flex/soft hose or can I hard plumb with PVC? I read somewhere that if hard plumbed it can be difficult to remove the roll when it’s time to change. Pictures welcomed!

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you got it installed already. Mine is hard plumbed and it’s not problem to change rolls. There is a 1.5” union on this that I undo to change the roll. I did not glue the final elbow to the union. Doesn’t leak and comes apart easily if I need to reconfigure.

This is a Redsea 425xl sump. I had to remove all of the filter sock setup to accommodate.

I really love this thing and can’t imagine actually keeping up with filter socks.

036D0007-ED39-4A1E-B539-A4840F775232.jpeg B295393D-8682-4113-9D7F-62E7B381ADDC.jpeg

OP
OP
CCK_8814

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Hope you got it installed already. Mine is hard plumbed and it’s not problem to change rolls. There is a 1.5” union on this that I undo to change the roll. I did not glue the final elbow to the union. Doesn’t leak and comes apart easily if I need to reconfigure.

This is a Redsea 425xl sump. I had to remove all of the filter sock setup to accommodate.

I really love this thing and can’t imagine actually keeping up with filter socks.

036D0007-ED39-4A1E-B539-A4840F775232.jpeg B295393D-8682-4113-9D7F-62E7B381ADDC.jpeg
yes I got mine installed and same as you I love it. Can’t imagine ever going back to filter socks. I had ordered a single replacement roll from BRS when the 3 pack was out, then ordered the 3 pack about a week ago. Be aware, the rolls in the 3 pack are about 1/3 the size of the roll you get when you buy the single. Mine is plumbed with flex hose going to a 90* PVC elbow that’s connected to a slip adapter which is threaded directly onto the rollermat. This way I’m able to just pop the elbow and hose off if needed. To replace the roll I just taped the beginning of the new roll to last part of old roll and used the feed button to bring it around. Worked great.

MuffinMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ordered a single replacement roll from BRS when the 3 pack was out, then ordered the 3 pack about a week ago.

Have you tried ordering coolant filter paper 4"x 50yard long 50 micron rolls (easily found on ebay) to see if they fit and work as well? Iv heard this fleece rollermat is basically the same as coolant filter paper. You can get coolant filter paper for super cheap compared to the actual replacements sold by theiling. Curious if this works as i am considering going to a theiling compact on my next build in a couple months.

OP
OP
CCK_8814

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
Have you tried ordering coolant filter paper 4"x 50yard long 50 micron rolls (easily found on ebay) to see if they fit and work as well? Iv heard this fleece rollermat is basically the same as coolant filter paper. You can get coolant filter paper for super cheap compared to the actual replacements sold by theiling. Curious if this works as i am considering going to a theiling compact on my next build in a couple months.
I have not. I heard/read about using it but so far the actual replacement rolls are lasting me quite awhile so $25 isn’t bad. I may look into it though and get some just to try.

cflores

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size us the union you used at the top of the rollermat? is it 1.25 standard?

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you all still liking your theiling compacts?
I've had mine running for about 18 months now and I am really happy with it. No malfunctions or broken parts. Makes it easy to use the fuge light and skimmer as tunable filters to increase/decrease NO3 and PO4 in the water. Can easily drop these to zero if not careful. There is no way I would run a tank with filter socks after my experience thus far.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine running for about 18 months now and I am really happy with it. No malfunctions or broken parts. Makes it easy to use the fuge light and skimmer as tunable filters to increase/decrease NO3 and PO4 in the water. Can easily drop these to zero if not careful. There is no way I would run a tank with filter socks after my experience thus far.
Thanks for the response!

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Deltec looks amazing but is too $$$. The Theiling is more Christmas gift price range.
True... Deltec though haha. They are saying the ease of changing rollers is what makes them different. From alot of reviews I see the trouble with others is the difficulty of that especially in tight spaces. I'm willing to pay a premium to save me time if it does what they advertise.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True... Deltec though haha. They are saying the ease of changing rollers is what makes them different. From alot of reviews I see the trouble with others is the difficulty of that especially in tight spaces. I'm willing to pay a premium to save me time if it does what they advertise.
I can relate. It was a little awkward changing the rolls on the Theiling the first couple of times. But once you figure out the maneuver it's fine. Mine has a union on top that I keep hand tight. Once removed, the feed pipe swings out of the way so the rolls can be dealt with easily. You do have to exercise a bit of care not to disturb the float switch - I have knocked it off the mount twice but nothing was broken.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate. It was a little awkward changing the rolls on the Theiling the first couple of times. But once you figure out the maneuver it's fine. Mine has a union on top that I keep hand tight. Once removed, the feed pipe swings out of the way so the rolls can be dealt with easily. You do have to exercise a bit of care not to disturb the float switch - I have knocked it off the mount twice but nothing was broken.
Well, hopefully it’s under the tree. Thanks for the input.

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched reeferdudes video about changing the clarsea roll. His method solved the difficulties of changing the roll at least on that model. Super easy and quick too. So I'm gonna get the clarsea sk5000

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched reeferdudes video about changing the clarsea roll. His method solved the difficulties of changing the roll at least on that model. Super easy and quick too. So I'm gonna get the clarsea sk5000
I thought about it but I don’t want to pay the extra $200 for flow rates that my sump will never have.

Back