Theiling Roller Mat: What's your flow rate on the BRS 160?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening!

I'm considering purchasing this for the new Reefer 750 build. It's a 200 gallon (160 display) so basically the same as the BRS 160. My question is, what flow rate do you have coming out of your overflow into the sump? How do you guys have this plumbed into the system? I've read a few threads saying if the flow rate is too high, it will trigger the float valve and waste an entire roll. Have you all encountered this? What was the workaround? I love the concept, I just don't want this to limit the flow through my sump.

Cheers!

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per my 1" Neptune flow sensor, I have 540 gph flowing through my theiling, setup in an Elite Aquatics rollermat sump. So far no issues, it's been up and running 4 days or so.

IMG_4063.JPG

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening!
I'm considering purchasing this for the new Reefer 750 build. It's a 200 gallon (160 display) so basically the same as the BRS 160. My question is, what flow rate do you have coming out of your overflow into the sump? How do you guys have this plumbed into the system? I've read a few threads saying if the flow rate is too high, it will trigger the float valve and waste an entire roll. Have you all encountered this? What was the workaround? I love the concept, I just don't want this to limit the flow through my sump.
Cheers!

Hey there!

Although I don't have the exact flow rate through our Theiling, I would guess that it is around 400gph-600gph. We use the EcoTech Vectra M1 as a return which feeds two returns and three manifold points. After everything, the flow ends up being fairly low. We have plumbed the primary drain of the Bean Animal overflow straight into the Theiling, with the secondary and emergency routed directly to the sump. The secondary drain hardly runs water through it, unless I close off the primary of course, so that means the entire drain flow is directed through the Rollermat. :)

Hope that helps some!

-Randy

OP
OP
Dawsokj1988

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there!

Although I don't have the exact flow rate through our Theiling, I would guess that it is around 400gph-600gph. We use the EcoTech Vectra M1 as a return which feeds two returns and three manifold points. After everything, the flow ends up being fairly low. We have plumbed the primary drain of the Bean Animal overflow straight into the Theiling, with the secondary and emergency routed directly to the sump. The secondary drain hardly runs water through it, unless I close off the primary of course, so that means the entire drain flow is directed through the Rollermat. :)

Hope that helps some!

-Randy
Thanks for the details!

whittaker727

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per my 1" Neptune flow sensor, I have 540 gph flowing through my theiling, setup in an Elite Aquatics rollermat sump. So far no issues, it's been up and running 4 days or so.

IMG_4063.JPG
I sent you a message to inquire about your sump and plumbing. I ordered almost the identical setup and have a few questions around your skimmer and roller mat.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back