TheKingInYellow goes bare black bottom - 50g SPS dominant!

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just tested the rock container and I'm still sitting at 0 nitrates and lots of ammonia. It's been almost three weeks so I'm thinking that low aeration might be hindering the cycle.

pH is sitting at about 7.4-7.6 so that indicative that oxygenation might be low. The cycle might not really get running prior to moving the rock into the tank.

Oh well, slow and steady, right?

CL_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also enjoyed reading about the stand build - talk about overbuilt! [emoji16]

Your scape looks great. Looking forward to reading more.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also enjoyed reading about the stand build - talk about overbuilt! [emoji16]

Your scape looks great. Looking forward to reading more.
Thank you! I figure better overbuilt than under water. The tank isn't exactly huge but it's still 65ish total gallons with the sump, reactors, top up reservoir, etc and it's going right in my living room.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good you have some nice wood working skills. The valve on your SW mixing station,, those valves can be troublesome down the line, i finally started using the expensive sch. 80 valves. No need to go crazy with a total re-do I would just get a valve as a backup.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good you have some nice wood working skills. The valve on your SW mixing station,, those valves can be troublesome down the line, i finally started using the expensive sch. 80 valves. No need to go crazy with a total re-do I would just get a valve as a backup.
Thanks for the tip, I do have to pick up a bunch more plumbing anyhow to do the FW side and prep for the tank arrival.

Speaking of which I don't see a downside to plumbing the whole thing in flexible PVC. Any reason I shouldn't?

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered two 1/8" textured black ABS panels. Each is 12" x 36" and I'll cut one to go around the overflow and secure them to the tank bottom.

I opted for textured ABS as it should be perfectly Reef safe and my wife would really like some acans or zoa gardens on the bottom and this should support adhesion for growth.

Should be here just before the tank. The wait is killing me.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This cycle, she ain't cycling.

0AaOi6Cl.jpg

NIc2WCLl.jpg

AIBcvdjl.jpg

That's three weeks so I can't imagine that it's going to improve with what I'm doing. Hopefully by the end of next weekend the rock will move to the tank, I'll have at least one Nero providing better circulation, and I'll try shifting from a raw shrimp to dosed pure ammonia and a different source of bacteria.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start completely fresh. Hitchhikers can certainly be an interesting part of the hobby but I plan to QT everything and no live rock.

While I'm waiting for the rest of the equipment and my tank I'm goofing around with my 3D printer:

6WJq8p1l.jpg

Pod hotels!

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been toying with options for additional nutrient export and I am leaning Algae Scrubber over a reactor now. I think the sump space might be an issue but a lot of the rest on top of the sump anyhow, or there are options like the HOG from Santa Monica.

I'd like it up an running as soon as the cycle completes in the tank so I guess I need to decide soon!

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment is starting to come in! Got the ABS sheet, heaters, Dr. Tims, FlexPVC and fittings all yesterday. The tank, sump and pumps should be here tomorrow. I have a very busy weekend ahead!

Also signed up as a supporter. This site has been *amazing* so far for feedback and ideas. Glad to call this my new reefing home! Now I just need to figure out how to get a build contributor banner...

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I've finalized the remaining gear I need to order, and catalogued whats on hand.

Updated equipment list:

• 36" x 18" x 18" Starfire front tank with internal bean animal overflow and dual returns
  • 28" x 14" x 16" sump with dual 4" socks
  • Apex Classic with 2 EB8s, WXM, LMK, lab-grade PH probe
  • Dual Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 returns with VCA Random Flow Generators
  • 2 Ecotech Radion XR15 G4 Pro lights with diffusers and RMS hanging kit
  • 2 AI Nero 5 Wavemakers
  • Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite Skimmer with AutoAqua monitor
  • Santa Monica Filtration RAIN2 TAS with Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 and 2 GEM5 lights
  • Bulk Reef Supply deluxe carbon reactor w. 0.8 ROX and MJ1200 feed pump
  • Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
I'll plan to dose BRS 2-part once corals go in the tank.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting on the tank but I've begun ordering all the remaining gear. Did a set of tests on the rock and that cycle still isn't moving, so that turned into a giant waste of time :(

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot dang I'm finally picking up the tank and sump tomorrow! Paint the back tomorrow night, let it cure and then start plumbing Saturday.

So time to talk stocking plans. This is a heavy-in-heavy-out system that will likely be fed twice daily. Between the filter socks, oversized skimmer, carbon reactor and algae scrubber I should be in good shape. Subsequently I'm not too worried about a heavier bioload.

What I would like is 3-4 mid-water open swimmers along the lines of a Lyretail Anthias, maybe a clown or two (although clowns are sort of boring to me), Basslets or Damsels. Those will likely be the first inhabitants. Then, I want to add 2-3 wrasses of the flasher/fairy type, basically any that would be fine in a barebottom. Last addition would be a small tang until it grows out, or maybe a one-spot Foxface - some sort of active algae grazer. Last addition a Mandarin or Scooter Blenny 6+ months after the tank is fully established.

Feel free to critique and/or suggest other options!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back