There and back again. My return to reefing after 12 years...

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened. Woke up this morning to my wife saying "the tank is leaking".

RO line connected to the Tunze RO Controller was leaking at the valve and dripped about 4 gallons of water on to the floor.

At least it wasn't saltwater.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixed the leaking valve and had the fans going all day.

So I started to set the lights up using the RMS rail system. My wife did not like it. Quick trip to the LFS to order a matching canopy - should be another 3 weeks before that comes in.

Quick pivot and I started on the controller cabinet. I didn't realize how many of them there are! Didn't want everything in the stand and also didn't have the room in the small fish closet behind the tank. So I ordered a cabinet that my wife liked, bought some black shelves and more desk grommets and went to town. Still have some cord management to work out.

Came out pretty good:

20230426_163140.jpg

20230426_163154.jpg

Next step is learning how the Apex, Mobius and Sicce apps all work. After that I will finish the Kalk and Ca reactor implementation.

Another note: started the Reef Octo Regal 200SSS skimmer. Man is this thing quiet. Really has me considering swapping out the Sicce SDC return pump for a VarioS.

20230426_163252.jpg

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the wet floor from the night before I was wide awake listening for anything that sounded odd. Only thing was the noisy waterfall in the overflow box. Had to do something about that.

This is my first attempt at a Bean Animal fraun so I did my research and thought that my secondary drain was set too low.

Shut everything down and pulled the secondary drain pipe (running bean animal) to work on it. Bonus here is that I verified my sump would handle the full amount of water in an emergency but it was close.

Swapped out the "T" in the durso for straight 90s, added a coupler and 1" of additional height. Retuned the main with the gate valve. Net effect is that the waterfall is gone! Raising the water level in the overflow was the key. Still getting good skimming action from the weir so that is good.

Old durso:
20230427_074111.jpg

New durso:

20230427_074127.jpg

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first transport is away!

20230504_123651.jpg

Added a couple clowns. They look so tiny in the tank.

Canopy is due in 2 weeks so lights will be added soon and then some corals. Looking forward to that.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an issue with a faulty RO controller valve (leaking). Roger from Tunze got me sorted with a replacement and we are back up with the ATO.

Picked up a pair of Maxspect XF280 with controller from a local reefer. Thinking I would use them on the back wall. Not so sure with the canopy in place now but I have them when the SPS go in.

Canopy was delivered to the LFS today. Brought it home and mounted the lights. Used the RMS Multi-light rail to hang (3) XR30 inside. Only 4 hours, 3 trips to Lowe's and an extra run to Home Depot for parts and it came out as I had hoped.

20230512_183421.jpg

Got the lights wired up and program running. Looks like an aquarium now. The clowns are swimming around much more which is nice.

20230512_202442.jpg

Next up more fish and corals. Very excited!

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots happening over the last week. After the lights went in we picked up the corals I had previously purchased at the LFS. I also connected with a local reefer who was breaking down a tank and got a few very nice corals from him. On Saturday my wife picked out 3 PJ Cardinals to add in as well.

Sunday was busy - picked up a Pink Margin fairly wrasse (that has now hidden himself for 3 days which s normal I am told) and in between errands I showed my wife the Jason Fox Mother's Day live sale. Wow. This was our first live sale and I think we (she) got really involved. This was great as she was refreshing the R2R page rapidly for fear of missing out. She asked me about a few corals but ultimately she picked out what she wanted.

Shipment of these new beauties was scheduled for FedEx priority overnight due by noon on Tuesday. At 10:00 when nothing had arrived yet I checked the tracking - FedEx had delivered my package to a business address at 8:08 that morning! Whaaattt! Panic ensues and I am frantically trying to rach FedEx for some kind of idea as to where my corals are. I am emailing Jason Fox to tell him what has happened to see if he can do anything. In my mind I am seeing this package left out on a dock somewhere or worse hust thrown in a dumpster. I get the FedEx location that the delivery was sent out of, go there, they give me the address of where it is and I pick it up at 11:30. @jfox was awesome. He was very reassuring that these corals would be good to go and very helpful in relieving my anxiety over the FedEx error.

It has so far all worked out. Corals are in the tank and they look great. My wife came home and said "did we really order that many" and all I could do was smile.

20230517_112257.jpg

20230517_112309.jpg

Here's a few from a local reefer:
20230517_112313.jpg

20230517_112321.jpg

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5/17 parameters check

Alk 7.6
Ammonia 0.0
Phos .08
Nitrate .7
Ca 425
Mg 1410
Ph 8.01 ave (7.91 - 8.07)

Gonna look into raising that Alk. Maybe kalk reactor. Just started doing 1.5 gallon AWC daily which may help as well.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7/24 - sorry that I have been away from this so long. Been struggling with expectations vs reality lately. Battle with ich and some losses really has taken it's on me.

Some recent pics:

20230724_163337.jpg

Some positives; my wife is engaged and has been helping with maintenance and my all-around mental stability. Picked up my grail fish (more a little later). Made it through 2 power outages. Tank is maturing with time regardless of my impatience.

Some challenges; ich, fish losses, coral losses, power outages and increased stress level as a result.

Losses; Pink Tail wrasse, Black Leopard wrasse, Yellow Eye Kole (rehomed), Chocolate Mimic Tang, Bipartis Leopard wrasse, 2 Lyretail anthias, Mandarin, a few new SPS frags and a beautiful showpiece trachyphyllia.

Stocked up on some SPS corals including some fantastic pieces from a fellow reefer here and some online stores. Brought home a showpiece trachyphyllia that I had being babysat at the LFS:
20230605_155105.jpg

That coral started to jelly/disintegrate on day 3 and by day 5 it was gone. Sucks. Not sure what happened. Water params were all at excellent levels. Still no answers.

Also picked up a very unique Moseleya coral that I had not ever seen. This one has done well:
20230606_200227.jpg

Grail fish - Gem Tang. This has always been on my wish list of fish. The simple beauty of stary white markings on black has always been appealing to me. Was able to acquire one (along with a Purple tang) from a vendor here on BBC. Was very excited but also fearful as the only remaining tang in the tank for 6 weeks has been the Sailfin. Researched what I could and decided on using an acclimation box to add the new Zebrasomas. 3 days in the box and nobody paid any attention. Opened the box with a bunch of food and the initial aggression to my relief was light. Had to separate the Saulfin a couplenof time night 1 but by day 2 their was a general peace between the 3. Then it happened - outbreak of ich. Purple had it worst,was still eating but was thin. Gem didn't show many signs initially but started hiding alot. Didn't have a hospital tank set up so started treatment with Polyplabs Medic and Ruby Rally Pro. All fish were eating so I was soaking foods in garlic and selcon. Was a 2 week ride that saw both the Purple and the Gem on deaths door but we are on the other side for now. We did llosea Mandarin and the newly transformed male Lyretail and I really think the oxidizing salts have had a negative effect on the corals. Especially the LPS and mushrooms.

Here's the trio just before the ich:
20230627_103942.jpg

This was about a week ago:
20230719_130510.jpg

Today she is still showing a little mucus spots but her tail and fins look better and her eyes are clearer. Not out of the woods yet. Been doing water changes with sand vacuum twice per week, running carbon now to clear out the medications in hopes that the corals bounce back.

Ordered a UV today. Had debated the need for one on a reef but after going through this I am looking for any help I can get.

Thanks for reading. More to come (hopefully).

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo...still not out of the woods just yet.

I have continued to lose a few corals (Acans and SPS frags) plus 2 rock flower nems. Down to 1 Anthias and haven't seen the Randall's Goby for 2 days so I fear she is a gonner. Clownfish are looking a little worse for wear as well now but they are pretty tough.

On a positive note - the Zebrasoma gang is looking much better, especially the Gem.
20230801_173422.jpg

Added a Lifegard Aquatics 55 watt UV to the system over the weekend. Have it plumbed in with a bypass off the return pump. Running 500 gph through it to target potential parasites. It appears that there is an added benefit of clearer water as well but that could be owner bias.

Plan from here is to let everything settle for a minute. Take a breath. See what shakes out. Focus on good water quality and getting back to stability. Hopefully the next update will be a positive one.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back