There are many like it, but this one is mine. (40B)

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought i should probably start a build thread.
was out of the hobby for a few years, with only a tiny 8g BC on my desk at work. long story short, got divorced, ex left. Have a steady live-in GF who talked me into starting up a tank again.

so..... without further ado, here we go again down the rabbit hole. lol.
Original plan was to start simple. 40B, metal stand, sheathe the stand at some point, and call it a day.
well....... that didn't happen. I did get the 40B and the metal stand. set it all up, ran it for a few weeks, then found someone local selling a DC skimmer (skimz) that would be perfect at a really good price. (bought the skimmer lol) When i went over there to get it, we started talking, and he showed me a diy 40B stand and modified sump/fuge he had for his last tank. (Crap, here we go again)
well, i pondered it for a while. Price was good, i really liked the layout, just wasn't sure. Yup, you guessed it. I now have his stand and sump at my house also. Stand was painted black, and that wasn't going to fit with the room, so i re-painted and distressed it so iw would fit in. GF likes it, so that's good.

Tank is still very much a work in progress (aren't they all?)
equipment rundown is as follows:
40 breeder tank. diy drilled
10-15 gal eshoppes sump
about 5 gal fuge. bupasses sump and gravity drains right into return chamber.
(3) jebao WP4 pumps. 2 on the left wall pushing a standing wave, one in opposite corner behind the rocks.
(1) Jebao DC return pump.
(1) Skimz DC skimmer
(1) quad T5 48" light. (old leftover but it works for now)
light will be replaced by a 6x20 diy led fixture. IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0531.jpg
pre-planning the rock work before epoxy. (as you can tell, plans changed slightly.)

IMG_0555.jpg
Building the overflow

IMG_0576.JPG
after filling

IMG_0575.JPG
the day i trashed the living room moving the tank from the old metal stand to the new wood one.

IMG_0565.jpg
as the tank sits now (3/14/19)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking breeder.. really like your new stand, I’m putting together a budget breeder but now second guessing myself for using the metal stand like the one you had and kinda wish I had built one. did you consider painting the back of tank or using some kind of covering? Really helps hide/camouflage plumbing and wires.

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you consider painting the back of tank or using some kind of covering? Really helps hide/camouflage plumbing and wires.

The Left side hole will have a door built for it. The right side may or may not. I might just do a door with plexi on the bottom so i can see the fuge.

the lights you see are inside the stand, normally it's not lit up like that.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Left side hole will have a door built for it. The right side may or may not. I might just do a door with plexi on the bottom so i can see the fuge.

the lights you see are inside the stand, normally it's not lit up like that.

I was talking about painting the back of your glass to hide wires/plumbing not stand.

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking about painting the back of your glass to hide wires/plumbing not stand.

oh... oops. (maybe i should read next time ;Facepalm) i thought about it, but decided against it. coralline will cover it eventually, and i might do some goofy vinyl background. maybe a pirate ship or something. There is about 4-5" behind it, so i can still get back there to do something when/if i decide to.

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i've come close to final stocking list also. still very much open to changes though.

(2) occ clowns
(1) purple dottyback
(1) yellow watchman and shrimp
(2) cardinals either banggai or pajama.
(1) fire fish
(1) fire shrimp.
(1) possibly a mandrin after everything is up and running and the fuge is producing pods.

still researching and learning about temperaments and reef-safeness, but this is where i'm leaning.
If you see any issues please don't hesitate to speak out.

** also** should i add progress to the original post? or keep adding new posts at the bottom? whats the best way?

Last edited:

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of those fish are pretty sturdy.

The fire fish being a definite exception. Might be OK but wouldn't be shocked if it didn't hold up against the others getting food. They can be pretty timid.

A Mandarin is usually not recommended for anything under a 75.
Sometimes they can take up to a year to wither away.

A 40 with separate pod propagation in a 10 might not fail.
There are threads concerning pod propagation that works out really well.
Would be a small PITA but may be worth the trouble.

Lol, I need to cut up frozen clams and hand feed the copperband to make sure it stays healthy.
Mostly *very* cool.
But needs a 10 to 15 minute time commitment each day.

Depends on what you're up for.
[emoji846]

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I did a mandarin (and it’s a big if) I would have to see massive pod populations in both the tank and the separate fuge. Long time before I get there.
Although the gf has now found the jawfish and wants one lol.

Did some more work this weekend. I really need to stop messing around with this thing and just enjoy it.

AA7BBE10-AB32-4F3D-8170-BC053C89F6E4.jpeg
Hardpiped everything in. Did a modified bean animal style overflow. Super quiet. 3/4 main drain with a 1” backup that converts to full syphen when the tank gets too full.

1ABC3FB3-18FC-4F3D-9B90-74E19EED75D3.jpeg

Moved the sump forward, re-did the wires. Moved the fuge light lower and closer. Also hidden behind the center brace.
Drilled and added second bulkhead to sump for second drain. Added two tee’s for reactors or whatever in the future.

A53D1C1C-B52F-44DE-9FF8-A2CC0E168C85.jpeg

Requisite full tank shot.

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a few more fish since the last update. Current stocking now sits at:
2x clowns
Bonded pair of banggaii’s
Ywg paired with tiger shrimp
Falco hawkfish
Fire fish

Also had a neighbor help with some stand modifications. Added a bookshelf and cabinet to the existing stand. Still need a couple pieces of trim and to do the doors. But overall I like it much better.

6F312E87-F4CA-41C0-90B3-2D949492180B.jpeg

OP
OP
link81

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, the firefish has disappeared. He is no longer swimming or hiding in his hole. I have a bunch of hermits, so any body gets disposed of pretty quickly. I don't think the pistol or hawkfish took him out, don't see a body outside of the tank so who knows...

Stocking is now:
2x clown
2x cardinal
1x falco hawkfish
1x YWG & tiger shrimp

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, the firefish has disappeared. He is no longer swimming or hiding in his hole. I have a bunch of hermits, so any body gets disposed of pretty quickly. I don't think the pistol or hawkfish took him out, don't see a body outside of the tank so who knows...

Stocking is now:
2x clown
2x cardinal
1x falco hawkfish
1x YWG & tiger shrimp
This is an absolutely true story: I had three firefish for a long time. Then suddenly, one disappeared two weeks ago. I couldn't find the body, but I figured the cuc took care of him quickly. Yesterday, I went to feed the fish and I suddenly had three firefish again and everyone looks healthy. I have no idea why he disappeared for awhile or where he hid. I'm hoping he went on a Caribbean vacation somewhere and just returned home. So because of this, I'm hoping your firefish is doing the same thing.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me too, believe me. but i had to slide it over so i could access the outlet. i'll put a bookshelf or something like that next to it. help balance it out.
A little cabinet for your future apex will fit nicely there!
image.jpg

Please excuse the blue lights and the mess. You get the idea!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stocking is now:
2x clown
2x cardinal
1x falco hawkfish
1x YWG & tiger shrimp
Check your overflow and refugium/sump. Lots of my fish have gone that route.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back