there is a nice copper banded butterfly at the LFS... any chance of getting it to eat frozen foods?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that CBB are very hard to keep and its because they usually wont eat, this CBB is a small specimen and is eating live brine at the LFS, but, I cannot keep feeding it live brine , all my fish are on frozen foods...what are chances the CBB will accept the frozen , i would buy enough live brine for a few days only and then the CBB would need to accept the frozen.

what are the odds of that happening?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took about 3 months. I fed it live white worms and it finally started eating frozen mysis.
They do things at their own speed and you just have to deal with it.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You grow them. You order cultures from eBay or Amazon, place them in dirt and feed them.
WHITE WORMS
PART 1

Magic worm food
Equal parts of Purina cat chow, Gerber baby rice cereal and Cheerios cereal run through my food processor.
I give it to the culture by the teaspoonful so it is easy to not over or underfeed. No mold.
I fold a 1/2 sheet of Bounty paper towel and lay it on the soil and wet it. I do not put any water on the dirt. Just the towels. I place the food on the towel. If I do get it too wet I just put a dry towel in and let it suck up water from the culture. Just fold it a lay it on top of the old one. The worms eat the towels too. I have 3 towel stacks per culture.
I have 4 cultures going. This is the oldest.
11-13-20
IMG_3239_HEIC-L.jpg

12-30-20
IMG_3332_HEIC-L.jpg

I had flying bugs in my old cultures. Now I make holes in the tops and glue cloth over them with Amazing Goop.
No more flying bugs. Scratch the plastic with sandpaper, make a ring of glue and press a piece of old rag into it.
IMG_3248_HEIC-L.jpg

I am now getting enough worms to give some to 3 tanks every day.

PART 2
Dirt - I am using this I got at Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kellogg...oil-for-Flowers-and-Vegetables-6850/205617876
I tried peat, coco fiber and the potting soil I already had. None of it worked. The soil above is the closet to what the worms come In I have found.
I tried the yogurt on bread thing. I didn't find a brand at Kroger they would even come near and the bread molds fast.
I put down about an inch of the dirt above then fold a half sheet of bounty into a rectangle. Then lay the towel on the dirt put the food under it then I moisten the towel. The worms will eventually start eating the towel too. When the towel starts to go I put the food on top of it and put a new one right on it. If you get it to wet just place the towel dry and let it soak up the water from the dirt.

I am feeding a mixture of Purina cat chow, Gerber baby rice cereal and Cheerios that I ran through my food processor until it is mostly powder.
IMG_3241_HEIC-L.jpg

Yes I watched all the videos. My worms never mass up on top of the food. They live in the dirt.
They come on top of the towel once another covers it and are easy to collect then.
IMG_3245_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_3247_HEIC-M.jpg

Gnats will grow in the culture. To stop them make some larger holes like 1/2 inch and then glue a piece of cloth over them. Scratch the plastic with some sandpaper and then use Amazing Goop glue to make a ring around the holes and press a cloth into it. This keeps the bugs out.
IMG_3248_HEIC-M.jpg

I have found mine only do well if I keep them under 70 degrees. This is my 2nd attempt. The first ones slowly died out over the summer and got bugs. I now keep them in a wine cooler at 56 degrees.
I have started two more using the same methods. Not many worms in them yet. It's only been a few weeks though.
IMG_3251_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_3252_HEIC-M.jpg

If you want to know more search the net about pot worms. That's what they are called by gardeners.

That was after a long period of trial and error.

This is the state of things this morning.
Pics of the 4 cultures, my food and todays catch.
IMG_3332_HEIC-S.jpg

IMG_3333_HEIC-S.jpg

IMG_3337_HEIC-S.jpg

IMG_3336_HEIC-S.jpg

IMG_3335_HEIC-M.jpg

time to give them to the fish. They are escaping.
IMG_3338_HEIC-M.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also a good idea to ask to see it eat at the store.
IMO you are better off having a white worm culture setup before getting a CBB. I got one earlier in the year and the only thing I could get it to eat were live white worms, but by the time I got a culture going it was too late.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple threads on here try searching, but i feed mine fresh mussels and every other day mysis liquid which it has taken too over my frozen mysis.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband eats frozen but I have a black worm culture and feed them daily as well.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine to eat frozen almost immediately, but it was already eating frozen at the LFS

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes on frozen.
in the mean time by the clams in the shell at the fish counter of your local grocery store.
chop them up (not the shell) and feed that.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back