There's always a first time for everything. What get you into the hobby?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef, my username is SOTO, which also stands for slice of the ocean. Yes I know, its cliché. I am from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. A third world country in Southeast Asia. I love the reef/saltwater aquarium. Like most people, I fell in love with this hobby after watching the symbiosis between clownfish and anemone at my LFS display tank. The view give me a piece of mind and I can watch it for hours! This is how I get into the hobby.

Unlike most people, I never had an aquarium before. Not even into freshwater. The reason I just found out about this hobby now is because the reefing community in Malaysia is very very small. I am 28 years old, and I never knew this hobby existed before. Most LFS here only into freshwater and plant-aquascape. Over here, it is a godsend if you have reef/saltwater-related LFS close to your vicinity, which, believe it or not, I can count with my fingers the number of reef/saltwater shop throughout the country. On top of that, reefing in a third world country means everything is expensive. Really really expensive. Thus, everything is on a budget/DIY to own a reef/saltwater aquarium.

However, all these not gonna make me stay away from the hobby. There's always a first time for everything. And this is just my beginning. Hope everyone here kind enough to guide me in this hobby.

What get you into the hobby?

KLCC.jpg
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and kinda embarrassed to say but my wife wanted a "Finding Nemo" aquarium and so did I. There I said it! ;)
Well don't be embarrassed. For me it was different, don't feel a thing watching the movie. But watching clownfish upfront what got me hooked up.

Welcome to R2R Soto. I think my interest started when as a child I was taken to the Cleveland (Ohio) Aquarium and left to wander the halls while my father and the director chatted about whatever adults chatted about.
For me big aquarium felt difference than home personal aquarium. Never felt the need to have one when I visited aquaria before.

Welcome to R2R ! And clownfish ! I love clownfish Untill they bite me
Thanks. Enjoyed it here. That's one way they show their love to you I guess :D

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been into science and loved aquatic life. My son found a hermit crab on the beach and put him in a bucket with other shells. I didn’t realize it made the trip to Nashville until unpacking the car. I immediately went out and got my first 20 gallon tank. It was a easy way to let the wife know I have a new hobby! Lol
0F63B8F4-FA5C-4D9C-8B2F-D8205246A306.jpeg
Love the hermit crab!

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with FW when my husband found an abandoned tank with 4 gold fish in a house he was managing. Water was so dirty we could hardly the fish. We felt sorry for them and decide to save them. I then got tropical FW fish in a planted FW aquarium, until a friend who could no longer keep his SWF brought his aquarium to me. That was over 10 years ago, and I still have one of his original fish, a 4 stripped black and white damsel.
But I do not have coral, except for 1 gorgonian, gotten in the last 2 month. I want to have macro algae instead.
You will enjoy this forum, I read it for a long time, before I decide to join. Welcome SOTO
Fish only tank is awesome too! And that damsel have lived over 10 years huh! Impressive. I enjoyed reading this forum. A lot of things can be learned here.

Welcome! When I was a kid my parents moved from Newfoundland to Florida and the moment I dived off the keys I was hooked. I collected tons of stuff from the beach (didn't know better and this was the 90s) and made a little tide pool out of a little turtle shaped kiddie pool. When we moved back to Canada I already had reptiles and fw tanks but I missed the colors and microfauna so I started a sw.
Nice story. I bet you still remember the view during that dive.

My love for this hobby started when I was 12 year old. Growing up my best friends dad had a 60g Reef in their living room and I was in awe! We are talking nearly 28 years ago! Not only did I get bit by the aquaria bug from spending so much time at their house but he also had a high end audio theatre in his living room with very expensive B&W's.

Needless to say, I was hooked on two very expensive hobbies from the age of 12
( Reefing & Audiophile Audio) and I still till this day have affinity for both.

From 12-20yrs old I had a 30g Freshwater with 2 Silver Dollar fish....one of the Silver's was still with me when I moved onto college. In college I built my first 55g long reef and subsequently have had several iterations of reef setups. Now a home owner and no longer moving around, I am building a dream setup with a Cade 1200 and all the automation & toys you can imagine :)
Awesome story. Envy you on the Cade 1200 haha. Wishing you the best of luck on building your dream setup!

Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef, my username is SOTO, which also stands for slice of the ocean. Yes I know, its cliché. I am from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. A third world country in Southeast Asia. I love the reef/saltwater aquarium. Like most people, I fell in love with this hobby after watching the symbiosis between clownfish and anemone at my LFS display tank. The view give me a piece of mind and I can watch it for hours! This is how I get into the hobby.

Unlike most people, I never had an aquarium before. Not even into freshwater. The reason I just found out about this hobby now is because the reefing community in Malaysia is very very small. I am 28 years old, and I never knew this hobby existed before. Most LFS here only into freshwater and plant-aquascape. Over here, it is a godsend if you have reef/saltwater-related LFS close to your vicinity, which, believe it or not, I can count with my fingers the number of reef/saltwater shop throughout the country. On top of that, reefing in a third world country means everything is expensive. Really really expensive. Thus, everything is on a budget/DIY to own a reef/saltwater aquarium.

However, all these not gonna make me stay away from the hobby. There's always a first time for everything. And this is just my beginning. Hope everyone here kind enough to guide me in this hobby.

KLCC.jpg
I love the colors and the sense of calm.

Attachments

• 72267.png
    72267.png
    57 KB · Views: 29

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KLCC.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. For me it started with my parents having a freshwater aquarium when I was a child, so when I went out onto my own I wanted freshwater aquarium... then I went brackish, then saltwater, then left hobby, and then returned last year. My mom STILL has same freshwater tank setup in her kitchen on same metal stand ... but now she has fake fish that float in the tank! They have a little nylon cord tethering them individually to the bottom. Makes me giggle.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but now she has fake fish that float in the tank! They have a little nylon cord tethering them individually to the bottom.
Haha funny. That's one way to get a long lasting fishtank though. No water testing. No water changes :p
Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
Yes I am planning on starting my on build thread. I want to document everything here so I can see how far I get into the hobby especially the coral growth and evolution of the tank. Nice badge, excited to get one too!

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2RMTwef.gif

Started with freshwater with Discus (raised and bred for awhile) then transitioned over to dwarf african cichlids...then caught the reefing bug...and never looked back.
I always find planted tank with discus is such a calming tank and enjoy the view. But never trigger me to own one though

Reeferram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KLCC.jpg
I am 35 and never had any interest in aquariums. 5 years ago i was in a bad car accident and received a nice size settlement. My best friend used to own a LFS with his brother. I was given an old 55 gal around the same time that was going to be used for a turtle. My friend told me since i have the money, set up a reef tank. 5 years later i have 3 and am thoroughly addicted.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into aquariums as an early teen (Many Many moons ago) when I won a goldfish at the fair. Needing to provide said fish a home I got my first 10g tank. Knew nothing about fish or aquariums and had to rely solely on the advice of the LFS. Sad to say that first goldfish went the way of the dodo in short order, but the spark was lit! I was determined to have a fish tank. I started reading everything I could about aquariums. At that time, there was very little readily available literature about aquaria, so I pretty much blundered my way along. I learned a few things from friends into fish, but most was trial and error.

In the early 1990s I got a job working with a few people who were avid saltwater enthusiasts. I learned a bit from them, and took the plunge into the salty world. My first attempt with fish only was pretty successful overall. I kept the fish alive that I had and had no issues. When I tried to add inverts is when I found out I knew nothing about what I was doing and neither did anyone else.

I finally decided that the expense and loss of life wasn't what I wanted and went back to freshwater tanks where I stayed until I set up my reef tank earlier this year.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve always been into science and loved aquatic life. My son found a hermit crab on the beach and put him in a bucket with other shells. I didn’t realize it made the trip to Nashville until unpacking the car. I immediately went out and got my first 20 gallon tank. It was a easy way to let the wife know I have a new hobby! Lol
0F63B8F4-FA5C-4D9C-8B2F-D8205246A306.jpeg
My story is very similar. I found a few conchs at the beach in Naples (didn't know at the time I shouldn't take them), so I took them home. I decided to set up a tank for them and the rest is history.

Jpconer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grew up in CA...Going to the coast and playing in tidepools, watching Jacques Cousteau specials and getting a 10 gallon kit as a present when I was 10 yrs old..that was almost 48 years ago and I'm still hooked.

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 35 and never had any interest in aquariums. 5 years ago i was in a bad car accident and received a nice size settlement. My best friend used to own a LFS with his brother. I was given an old 55 gal around the same time that was going to be used for a turtle. My friend told me since i have the money, set up a reef tank. 5 years later i have 3 and am thoroughly addicted.
You never can get enough of this hobby haha. But I always wonder why do people have so many tanks? Why don't you upgrade to one bigger tank instead of having to take care of 3 or more? I understood people having 2 tanks since some species need to have dedicated tank like seahorse, or frag tanks. But I can't find a reason of having 3, 4, or more tanks.

OP
OP
sotoreef

sotoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into aquariums as an early teen (Many Many moons ago) when I won a goldfish at the fair. Needing to provide said fish a home I got my first 10g tank. Knew nothing about fish or aquariums and had to rely solely on the advice of the LFS. Sad to say that first goldfish went the way of the dodo in short order, but the spark was lit! I was determined to have a fish tank. I started reading everything I could about aquariums. At that time, there was very little readily available literature about aquaria, so I pretty much blundered my way along. I learned a few things from friends into fish, but most was trial and error.

In the early 1990s I got a job working with a few people who were avid saltwater enthusiasts. I learned a bit from them, and took the plunge into the salty world. My first attempt with fish only was pretty successful overall. I kept the fish alive that I had and had no issues. When I tried to add inverts is when I found out I knew nothing about what I was doing and neither did anyone else.

I finally decided that the expense and loss of life wasn't what I wanted and went back to freshwater tanks where I stayed until I set up my reef tank earlier this year.

My story is very similar. I found a few conchs at the beach in Naples (didn't know at the time I shouldn't take them), so I took them home. I decided to set up a tank for them and the rest is history.

Started freshwater when I was 12. Got hooked on sw in 1970 first time I saw a flame angel. Started reefing sometime around 1993

grew up in CA...Going to the coast and playing in tidepools, watching Jacques Cousteau specials and getting a 10 gallon kit as a present when I was 10 yrs old..that was almost 48 years ago and I'm still hooked.

Hey you guys are like super senior to me in the hobby. I was born in the 90s and you guys already reefing since then. Respect!

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is pretty simple. My parents are germaphobes. As a kid, they banned me from having any pet that sheds, makes sounds, poops in the house and smells. So it did really came down to fish. I started in saltwater after 9 years in freshwater since I simply thought saltwater fish were prettier and as a kid finding nemo encouraged me to really start. It's funny now that I'm an adult I can have any pets I want, but I'm just obsessed with fish that I don't really think I care to have any other types of pets....well maybe reptiles (something about glass cages lol)

ProxyAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... I am from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.... I love the reef/saltwater aquarium .... The view give me a piece of mind and I can watch it for hours! This is how I get into the hobby.

Unlike most people, I never had an aquarium before. Not even into freshwater. ... I can count with my fingers the number of reef/saltwater shop throughout the country. On top of that, reefing in a third world country means everything is expensive. Really really expensive. Thus, everything is on a budget/DIY to own a reef/saltwater aquarium.
And this is just my beginning. ...

Welcome to R2R !

You will find a great resource in the community here.

Reefing can be done on a budget and/or with DIY. You will find much here. My son and I got some ideas from Simple Aquariums . The aquarist is Australian and did her first saltwater aquarium with a canister filter and much DIY.

As for what get me into the hobby? :

As a California kid, I loved the beach. Even when I got my feet black from oil spill tar and leg red from jellyfish stings, I went right back. I eventually saved for a freshwater tank.

Later, I saw amazing saltwater ecosystems when medicine took me to Southeast Asia.

Recently in college, my son later got interested in freshwater and salt water. As you mentioned, this field gives one " piece of mind." He has found his tanks a source of contentment during college and the turmoils of COVID. He is doing this on a budget and will appreciate any hints or DIY you acquire.

I look forward to your success in 2022,
Jim

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back