therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that space laxer is a really nice piece I might have to get with Adam on that one. And of course the rainbow is crazy nice too. Beautiful pics! Do you think the aventador is the same species as the wolverine maybe? The new branches look great!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow, that space laxer is a really nice piece I might have to get with Adam on that one. And of course the rainbow is crazy nice too. Beautiful pics! Do you think the aventador is the same species as the wolverine maybe? The new branches look great!

Wolverine seems to have slightly thinner bushier branching pattern and a “greener” yellow with a “bluer” purple to the base color. They are similar though, and same soft fragile skeleton prone to accidental fragging

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
what is your flow like in your tanks?

Tanks are 5-6 ft long and ~12" deep, with a Maxspect Gyre at either end. Each unit has one fan reversed (so either both A or both B). They ramp up and ramp down, then in the reverse. The periods on each end are different so that sometimes flow is colliding, sometimes it is coordinated, and its always at a varied point in the ramping so it stays quite random throughout the day.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is a another great BC piece that I have had a heck of a time photographing. The tips are super bright blue, brighter than anything I've gotten out of the PC Superman table. There is also a soft mint green in the base color under the red that I haven't been able to capture in photos yet. I think the colors contrast so starkly that the camera doesn't pick up one well without washing out the other, if that makes sense. I have the same issue with photographing Aquatic Man.

It is also a MUCH hardier and faster growing Acropora than the PC Superman, in my experience.

BC Firecracker Table
PC051708.jpg

And before I get accused of editing up greens, that is green slimer and Inland Cyclops in the background, both of which are crazy intense green/yellow. I am not a skilled photographer, and just trying to make things represent what I see in my tanks.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tanks are 5-6 ft long and ~12" deep, with a Maxspect Gyre at either end. Each unit has one fan reversed (so either both A or both B). They ramp up and ramp down, then in the reverse. The periods on each end are different so that sometimes flow is colliding, sometimes it is coordinated, and its always at a varied point in the ramping so it stays quite random throughout the day.

So what program do you use on the gyres? I thought about doing something like that in my 180g 6 foot tank. I feel like my tank is too much in one direction even though I have a gyre on each side.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The newest ones are 350s on a Hydros Wave Engine, the others are on the forward/reverse program on the gyre controllers. I have a 180g with an XF280 at each end on this flow setup and acros do pretty well all over it.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got a piece of firecracker table myself , seems to be growing quick but I cant get those blue tips , but mine just encrusted so far

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim, what sort of lighting schedule are you using (on the photons correct) I switched over to the orpheks and was just curious what your lighting program looked like.

corey

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tim, what sort of lighting schedule are you using (on the photons correct) I switched over to the orpheks and was just curious what your lighting program looked like.

corey

Some are at 100% all channels, some have whites and reds dialed back to 75% and rest at 100%. All of those prop tanks are on an 8-9 hr photoperiod with no ramping or blue period or anything.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I see your very own thermans rainbow
Mine is finally killing it and want to see how mine looks compared to the originator

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
did you get the hunts rainbow from Battlecorals?

I have a backup frag from Adam, the bigger colony is from Raising Reefs. (Technically one piece is Hung's, and one is Valentina, but a friend confirmed with the sources they are the same coral).

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
May I see your very own thermans rainbow
Mine is finally killing it and want to see how mine looks compared to the originator

Ha! I never called it a rainbow, for the record ;)

I have one gigantic colony that is usually browned out as half is in the shade, and a small one that was really looking gorgeous until I chopped a bunch of frags off this week. It is another one that I've never been able to get a good photo of, though I haven't put in the effort with the new camera and a chunk in prime real estate.

Here's an old one I used to post, but it was taken with a previous camera that could not capture aqua green at all so it looks super washed out:
IMG_1524.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back