therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim, I just tested my par on my 16" tall tank. I'm running 400w Radiums with 4 t5's and you can just imagine the PAR. I'm getting anywhere from 420-590 at the top of the rocks to 390-460 in the middle. LOL talk about PAR overload. What do you think? Will the acros adapt? I have a green slimer, Strawberry shortcake, superman monti, Oregon tort, Tyree undata, and a few unnamed ones. The Giesemann Spectra is already over 15" above the water line. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Put the montis low, all those acros will be fine with those par levels from MH as long as you acclimate them.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tim, I just tested my par on my 16" tall tank. I'm running 400w Radiums with 4 t5's and you can just imagine the PAR. I'm getting anywhere from 420-590 at the top of the rocks to 390-460 in the middle. LOL talk about PAR overload. What do you think? Will the acros adapt? I have a green slimer, Strawberry shortcake, superman monti, Oregon tort, Tyree undata, and a few unnamed ones. The Giesemann Spectra is already over 15" above the water line. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

That sound about right to me. I have a couple of tanks I run higher par in that get 600+ and even higher as they grow towards the surface. Millepora, abrotanoides, humilis, etc all love it.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Could you tell me your recommendation on acclimating new sps frags? Put them under 400 PAR right away? Start them around 200? If starting low typically how long to wait before moving to their permanent location?

depends what PAR they were coming from. I don’t usually acclimate anything to lighting unless it seems stressed or is coming from a really low light T5 tank or something.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

only thing on that list you probably want lower is the undata. The Superman type
Montipora like to be fried. Just be careful it doesn’t take over all your rock…

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only thing on that list you probably want lower is the undata. The Superman type
Montipora like to be fried. Just be careful it doesn’t take over all your rock…
I just asked the vendor I got them from and he said they were in 400-700. I'm so worried about killing them that I started low around 200 and have moved to about 300 over the 20days I've had them. Sounds like I'm being over precautious.

Attachments

• PXL_20221101_002113449.jpg
    PXL_20221101_002113449.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 91

Gary67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i have my lights ramped up what color should i be using i was thinking of 60 %blue 20% violt 10% green and 10% red any different ideas i should have or know im comming up on about one and a half years doing this so i have a long ay to go lots of mistakes just spinning a little bit just not giving up my fish are fine coral is a different story just keep truckin along

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi Tim, would you use acclimation mode when increasing PAR in an established tank (1.5 years old)?

My tank is acro dominant and takes up about 1.6dkh alk per day. All frags are getting between 310-390 PAR. I want to bump it up by 50 PAR, so that they all get 360-440 PAR. (Maybe it is unnecessary and I should leave it alone, would love to get your thoughts on it).

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi Tim, would you use acclimation mode when increasing PAR in an established tank (1.5 years old)?

My tank is acro dominant and takes up about 1.6dkh alk per day. All frags are getting between 310-390 PAR. I want to bump it up by 50 PAR, so that they all get 360-440 PAR. (Maybe it is unnecessary and I should leave it alone, would love to get your thoughts on it).

Bumping up by 50 PAR is not going to require acclimation.

When i have my lights ramped up what color should i be using i was thinking of 60 %blue 20% violt 10% green and 10% red any different ideas i should have or know im comming up on about one and a half years doing this so i have a long ay to go lots of mistakes just spinning a little bit just not giving up my fish are fine coral is a different story just keep truckin along

For most of the day I run Reefbreeders at 70% on white and red, and 100% on blue, royal blue, violet, and green.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BC Cricket Spine!

No idea why it took me so long to photograph this piece. I just happened to see one of my backup colonies looking good and shot some quick phone pics. Why is this not the most popular coral in the hobby? Absolutely the nicest red Acropora around in my opinion. Deep, red, and velvety with gold polyps, bright green undertones, light blue tips, and insanely rich colors all around.

Ok, not my all time favorite because I am infatuated with blue corals, but definitely top 5!

IMG_9520.jpeg

IMG_9519.jpeg

And with a bit more white it has almost every color in the rainbow...
IMG_9525.jpeg

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BC Cricket Spine!

No idea why it took me so long to photograph this piece. I just happened to see one of my backup colonies looking good and shot some quick phone pics. Why is this not the most popular coral in the hobby? Absolutely the nicest red Acropora around in my opinion. Deep, red, and velvety with gold polyps, bright green undertones, light blue tips, and insanely rich colors all around.

Ok, not my all time favorite because I am infatuated with blue corals, but definitely top 5!

IMG_9520.jpeg

IMG_9519.jpeg

IMG_9525.jpeg

Dang that's beautiful!
Those Reefbreeders settings are crazy!!!

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BC Cricket Spine!

IMG_9520.jpeg

IMG_9519.jpeg

IMG_9525.jpeg
Shhhh don’t tell everyone then it will be $500 a frag!

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therman, your tank is an inspiration. Couple questions.

First: Do you sell encrusted frags?

Second: What do you do for flow? What is your primary source? Do you aim more for creating flow, or current?

Cheers,
RC

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Therman, your tank is an inspiration. Couple questions.

First: Do you sell encrusted frags?

Second: What do you do for flow? What is your primary source? Do you aim more for creating flow, or current?

Cheers,
RC

I sometimes sell encrusted frags, but usually don't keep them on hand as I dont have a lot of extra space to hold them that long. Usually they are a result of accidentally fragging more than what I need for an order. In my experience they do not ship or acclimate to a new tank as well as frags that have been cut 1-3 weeks prior to shipping, so I tend to avoid them.

I used Maxspect Gyres in almost all of my tanks at both ends. They are set up to alternate their direction of spin, with
"fan" types the same, such that one side of the unit pushes water and then the other. I vary the cycle period between either end of the tank such that it sometimes collides on the same side and sometimes creates a circular current in the tank. This keeps flow nice and random in my experience.

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pruning huge colonies doesn't always go well either. Cutting through a major portion of a large colony can lead to it stalling out and eventually dying. Kind of like opening a massive wound that doesn't heal I'd imagine.
Long-time admirer, first time poster! Quick question about this - if pruning large colonies doesn't always go well, do you have a sweet spot for when you like to frag SPS colonies? Or is it just when they're happy and you think they can take it & heal fine? Love your collection and really enjoyed your ReefBum episode!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Long-time admirer, first time poster! Quick question about this - if pruning large colonies doesn't always go well, do you have a sweet spot for when you like to frag SPS colonies? Or is it just when they're happy and you think they can take it & heal fine? Love your collection and really enjoyed your ReefBum episode!

It really depends on the coral. If it is something with a crazy high value that is rather rare, I am a lot more cautious about it. Usually I cut the first couple of frags for myself as a backup when they get to 3-4 inches in diameter and see how it responds. I move one to my backup system and see how it does there...some corals love that system and some refuse to grow, it is really interesting to see the differences.

If the coral explodes with new growth from the spot I cut the first frag, that is a good indication I dont need to be excessively cautious about fragging. Some barely regrow and others will just heal over and not regrow at all. For those types you really have to come up with a different strategy if you want to "farm" them.

This usually takes place over a 2-4 year period when you start with a single frag, so it is not a quick turnaround and make a quick buck process if you are in it for the long haul :)

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on the coral. If it is something with a crazy high value that is rather rare, I am a lot more cautious about it. Usually I cut the first couple of frags for myself as a backup when they get to 3-4 inches in diameter and see how it responds. I move one to my backup system and see how it does there...some corals love that system and some refuse to grow, it is really interesting to see the differences.

If the coral explodes with new growth from the spot I cut the first frag, that is a good indication I dont need to be excessively cautious about fragging. Some barely regrow and others will just heal over and not regrow at all. For those types you really have to come up with a different strategy if you want to "farm" them.

This usually takes place over a 2-4 year period when you start with a single frag, so it is not a quick turnaround and make a quick buck process if you are in it for the long haul :)
Very helpful. Thank you sir!

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sometimes sell encrusted frags, but usually don't keep them on hand as I dont have a lot of extra space to hold them that long. Usually they are a result of accidentally fragging more than what I need for an order. In my experience they do not ship or acclimate to a new tank as well as frags that have been cut 1-3 weeks prior to shipping, so I tend to avoid them.

I used Maxspect Gyres in almost all of my tanks at both ends. They are set up to alternate their direction of spin, with
"fan" types the same, such that one side of the unit pushes water and then the other. I vary the cycle period between either end of the tank such that it sometimes collides on the same side and sometimes creates a circular current in the tank. This keeps flow nice and random in my experience.

Not to get off track but the whole fully encrusted frags that vendors want to charge a fortune for are not what this hobby needs. People hack off/saw anything that isn't encrusted in fear of pests. They(vendors) are passing on costs of a few months of growth that isn't needed.

A fresh cut frag from a colony and thrown in a bag the same day it's shipped is economical and the success rate of survival is probably better but certainly not less than some frag that's encrusted.

This is how it was done early on and success rate on Doa was less than 1% as well as weeks months after.

This whole thing has turned into unnecessary costs that don't pay off.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to get off track but the whole fully encrusted frags that vendors want to charge a fortune for are not what this hobby needs. People hack off/saw anything that isn't encrusted in fear of pests. They(vendors) are passing on costs of a few months of growth that isn't needed.

A fresh cut frag from a colony and thrown in a bag the same day it's shipped is economical and the success rate of survival is probably better but certainly not less than some frag that's encrusted.

This is how it was done early on and success rate on Doa was less than 1% as well as weeks months after.

This whole thing has turned into unnecessary costs that don't pay off.

Agree with you Ed. I think these are frags that grew on racks. I know Adam from BC had a thread regarding this topic. Personally, I like a little encrusting, maybe 2 weeks growth on shipped frags. Local, fresh cuts 100%!

Side note: Tim, my smoothies are all doing great! Almost lost my JD, not sure if RB's, or HIGH nutrients, either way, she is recovering and nearly healed, sweating that one. I agree that the BKCHEM Creme de le Creme is absolutely stunning, but that Cricket Spine, on another planet...

I wiil say this here to anyone reading, Tim brings the heat with his coral business, top notch, and a killer collection of the nicest acros. In fact, I will be ready for smoothie pack round 2 when you are ready to cut ;)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with you Ed. I think these are frags that grew on racks. I know Adam from BC had a thread regarding this topic. Personally, I like a little encrusting, maybe 2 weeks growth on shipped frags. Local, fresh cuts 100%!

Side note: Tim, my smoothies are all doing great! Almost lost my JD, not sure if RB's, or HIGH nutrients, either way, she is recovering and nearly healed, sweating that one. I agree that the BKCHEM Creme de le Creme is absolutely stunning, but that Cricket Spine, on another planet...

I wiil say this here to anyone reading, Tim brings the heat with his coral business, top notch, and a killer collection of the nicest acros. In fact, I will be ready for smoothie pack round 2 when you are ready to cut ;)
Yes, once you cut a frag and glue to a plug it needs two weeks due the the glue coral interface that will stress a coral.

A fresh cut thrown is a bag avoids this step and when you get it, you glue it up and it heals in your system vs healing for two weeks and then getting stressed again on the customers end.

The system for selling frags is what it is so that's that. I'm waiting for some smart vendor to just sell fresh cuts at a discounted rate. The joke of it is many can't do this cause they are hacking up wild acros and not aquacultured corals.:anguished-face:

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm waiting for some smart vendor to just sell fresh cuts at a discounted rate. The joke of it is many can't do this cause they are hacking up wild acros and not aquacultured corals.:anguished-face:

I'll be that guy! 20% off any frags if you are ok with receiving them freshly cut :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back