therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh my that’s a unique efflorescence! Gotta be my favorite by far, thanks for sharing. Do you know what type of acropora the snipers blue is? That’s nice too, I don’t remember it like that for some reason.

Honestly not sure what species the Snipers Blue is. Not a real quick grower, seems like it took 2-3 years to get that big.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You could make this like BC Fairy Food maybe....

drevil.jpg

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed in earlier posts that you have encrusting corals growing on the tank floor. Any trouble with them eventually overtaking or interfering with the acros around them?
Beautiful coral selection for sure!
Jim

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At long last, BC Bleeding Tree v1! I think it took us 5 years to figure out they were different haha

More deeply saturated red and green, and less branchy growth (in a colony) than the v2:
P9121488.jpg

Saturation overload, did you turn the greens up and some of the pinks to 100% in Photoshop? They are popping out in front of the background.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Saturation overload, did you turn the greens up and some of the pinks to 100% in Photoshop? They are popping out in front of the background.

Camera has an underwater preset. I usually don’t do anything to saturation, sometimes just adjust the blue/yellow balance to combat the swamping effects of the blue LEDs. This one is quite vividly colored, check it out on the BC site.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I noticed in earlier posts that you have encrusting corals growing on the tank floor. Any trouble with them eventually overtaking or interfering with the acros around them?
Beautiful coral selection for sure!
Jim

Usually no, since the edges of the rocks overhang the bottom and shade it, preventing them from making the jump. With the yellow Leptoseris I intentionally tried to crate a bit of a waterfall effect through the middle by mounting several frags on gradually sloping rocks

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find Tim's pics are very close to what I receive from him in real life. Some pics are actually under represented.

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find Tim's pics are very close to what I receive from him in real life. Some pics are actually under represented.

I didn't say his corals weren't nice, I am saying the photo is clearly oversaturated, look at the polyp. It is about to pop out of my display. You can see the saturation ring around the pink growth tips which is a telltale sign of tweaking in Photoshop.

BC.jpg

You can see the rings show more when I increase the saturation even more, especially on the green polyps.
New.jpg

BC.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
“Look how bad your photo is when I increase the saturation!!! More!!!” Seriously dude, of all the photos on this forum this is the one you get worked up over? Please move along unless you have the coral in your tank and want to post a photo of how it doesn’t look like this.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the annoyingly absurd blue light orange filter pics on the net this one I wouldn’t have even noticed. This coral is a really crazy piece when growing and colored well which therman obviously has going. Not many can grow this coral with any color at all so I will enjoy the pic either way.
Saturation at 100 would make everything look nuclear and greens and pinks turned up would throw off everything else in that pic. Looks pretty good to me, maybe looks like the clarity and exposure was adjusted slightly which is normal editing for most.
I also agree that you need to show the red photon!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is what was done to it:
-I didn't touch the saturation
-I tried to dial back the blue and the green
-I sharpened it a little
-I adjusted the highlights to try to compensate for overexposed white in the new growth tips

I am pretty good at growing corals, and I never claimed to be good at photography. I use outdated Apple Photos to process the images that come off of my underwater point and shoot camera when I turn the dial to the little fishy icon.

Just trying to show people some corals that are not easy to find photos of online and put them in one searchable place. Take it or leave it please.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-9-50-12-AM.png

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say his corals weren't nice, I am saying the photo is clearly oversaturated, look at the polyp. It is about to pop out of my display. You can see the saturation ring around the pink growth tips which is a telltale sign of tweaking in Photoshop.

BC.jpg

You can see the rings show more when I increase the saturation even more, especially on the green polyps.
New.jpg

BC.jpg
Yeah, firstly I'm not defending Tim, clearly he has done so himself and doesn't need anyone to vouch for him.

My comment wasn't about if his corals are or aren't nice (as was yours), my comment is aimed at the nature of how he represents his livestock, which often times look exactly how they come to me; thus meaning his pictures (Which may be tweaked a bit to represent real life) probably look real to life. I don't see this over saturation you're talking about, not on my iphone, ipad, computer or samsung? On your picture, sure.

Anyway, to me at least, I feel Tim represents his livestock well, just like Adam at BC. Whether or not he alters his pics can be debated if need be, but one has to remember he is using lights that could just enhance those colors and seem that way in a pic.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And because Tony asked nicely, Sanjay's Red Photon!

Unfortunately it was recently decapitated to cut a backup and a frag to send to another hobbyist, but it is still a looker, one of my absolute favorites.

P9121428.jpg
What's the coral popping in at the bottom?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back