therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a top contender for nicest Acropora of all time:

Valentina/Hung's Rainbow
PC051688.jpg
Is this the same as BC Hungs rainbow/

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I never called it a rainbow, for the record ;)

I have one gigantic colony that is usually browned out as half is in the shade, and a small one that was really looking gorgeous until I chopped a bunch of frags off this week. It is another one that I've never been able to get a good photo of, though I haven't put in the effort with the new camera and a chunk in prime real estate.

Here's an old one I used to post, but it was taken with a previous camera that could not capture aqua green at all so it looks super washed out:
IMG_1524.jpg

Your right it is hard to capture the beauty of this coral in a photo This looks okay but the tips are off
942C5502-A5E3-4BD3-82AA-DBCA889ACEEA.jpeg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Your right it is hard to capture the beauty of this coral in a photo This looks okay but the tips are off

Yep! You either lose the blue in the tips or you lose the green in the base, its like a camera cant capture both!

Looks great :)

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's one more new one I'm really digging, that looks like it has a lot of potential. Seems like a slow growing stubby thing, like BC Set for Stun or RR Shazam. From BC, dont think it ever had a name. Please excuse the flatworms haha

Polyps seem to start out a bluish purple and then suddenly transition to orange/red and shift to gold in the base. You can see some polyps that are purple with red tentacles if you look closely.
PC051679.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one more new one I'm really digging, that looks like it has a lot of potential. Seems like a slow growing stubby thing, like BC Set for Stun or RR Shazam. From BC, dont think it ever had a name. Please excuse the flatworms haha

Polyps seem to start out a bluish purple and then suddenly transition to orange/red and shift to gold in the base. You can see some polyps that are purple with red tentacles if you look closely.
PC051679.jpg
Who’s that from Adam?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So your lights just come on at 100%?
did you build up to that or just jump right in?

corey

Pretty much just jump right in. Depends on the tank and which acros though, some corals I move to the edges to worth their way up if I feel like they need a load of par. I have one tank with a zone of 700+ that I didn't realize, and a lot of frags I cut ended up going straight from 3-400 to 6-700 when they were healing because rack space was there, and honestly I never saw much issue.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much just jump right in. Depends on the tank and which acros though, some corals I move to the edges to worth their way up if I feel like they need a load of par. I have one tank with a zone of 700+ that I didn't realize, and a lot of frags I cut ended up going straight from 3-400 to 6-700 when they were healing because rack space was there, and honestly I never saw much issue.
I like that! So many people confused about acclimation. Before the reefbreeders, what did you run?
makes me a little less worried about switching over to the orpheks from halides.

corey

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I like that! So many people confused about acclimation. Before the reefbreeders, what did you run?
makes me a little less worried about switching over to the orpheks from halides.

corey

I made my own DIY LED fixture out of Crees. I still have 3 of those fixtures running, the oldest is probably about 12 yrs straight now. Still grows coral!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good info tim. I am switching over from halides (250 watt) and so many people are like be careful and start really low and work your way up so you don’t burn anything. It’s good to know that they can usually handle more than we think in terms of light.

corey

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to take a pic of mine. Mine is a pretty vibrant green with purple tips, but that's mainly it though.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim, you have an incredible collection of corals! This is such a gorgeous thread to be watching. Thanks for sharing!

Do you have any fish in that system to control the flatworms? They don't appear to be a nuisance, but I imagine that it makes people reconsider purchasing frags from your system since everything seems to be considered a pest these days. Do you face challenges when selling corals? It would be difficult for me to pass on your corals because they look incredible and healthy. In fact, I purchased some from you back in March at the Ohio Reef Marine Expo in Perrysburg. :)

I'm excited to see your table at the CORA swap this weekend!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim, you have an incredible collection of corals! This is such a gorgeous thread to be watching. Thanks for sharing!

Do you have any fish in that system to control the flatworms? They don't appear to be a nuisance, but I imagine that it makes people reconsider purchasing frags from your system since everything seems to be considered a pest these days. Do you face challenges when selling corals? It would be difficult for me to pass on your corals because they look incredible and healthy. In fact, I purchased some from you back in March at the Ohio Reef Marine Expo in Perrysburg. :)

I'm excited to see your table at the CORA swap this weekend!

Just my personal experience with Tim, but I've bought 5-6 packs from Tim so far and have not seen any pests, even with dipping them most recently. I don't hesitate to buy from him.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my personal experience with Tim, but I've bought 5-6 packs from Tim so far and have not seen any pests, even with dipping them most recently. I don't hesitate to buy from him.
Oh, I agree about not hesitating to buy from him. I just know how quickly many hobbyists become turned off when they see any type of flatworm, so I wanted to see if he's faced any challenges in that area.

After getting corals from him in March, I dipped them, as I do with corals from anyone, and I don't recall seeing anything but pods in the bottom of the solution.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I agree about not hesitating to buy from him. I just know how quickly many hobbyists become turned off when they see any type of flatworm, so I wanted to see if he's faced any challenges in that area. After getting corals from him in March, I dipped them, as I do with corals from anyone, and I don't recall seeing anything but pods in the bottom of the solution.
Same, I wasn't trying to answer for tim, obviously, because he's pretty transparent. I think if we are all a little cautious, it helps tremendously.

Back