therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of these pics you guys posted are "thermans rainbow"? if so there is a big difference in all 3 of theses pics. After it encrusted all the growth came out the sides now looks like krusty the clown.
IMG_3007.jpeg

Ha! I never called it a rainbow, for the record ;)

I have one gigantic colony that is usually browned out as half is in the shade, and a small one that was really looking gorgeous until I chopped a bunch of frags off this week. It is another one that I've never been able to get a good photo of, though I haven't put in the effort with the new camera and a chunk in prime real estate.

Here's an old one I used to post, but it was taken with a previous camera that could not capture aqua green at all so it looks super washed out:
IMG_1524.jpg
Your right it is hard to capture the beauty of this coral in a photo This looks okay but the tips are off
942C5502-A5E3-4BD3-82AA-DBCA889ACEEA.jpeg

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of these pics you guys posted are "thermans rainbow"? if so there is a big difference in all 3 of theses pics. After it encrusted all the growth came out the sides now looks like krusty the clown.
IMG_3007.jpeg
yep, mine is pretty low but pretty deep in that green base, purple tips. I can't get many more colors from it. Still a nice piece.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm on a roll lately, taking photos of things that have gone unphotographed (or at least not successfully photographed).

Here's a fun macro of one of my all time favorite stags, BC Battlestag. Of course it decided to grow all these nice new branches sideways at the level of the tile...

I have failed to take a good photo of this one soooo many times.
PC121744.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Another photo dump day! Managing to get decent shots of all sorts of neglected pieces that are not well represented on the inter webs.

First one is hardly a rarity, but for me it's like catching a unicorn to take a photo that captures all the colors. Pretty happy with this one! Many years in the making...

Vivid's Rainbow Delight
PC191762.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Keeping with the stag theme, one of the nicest of the thin stags, in my opinion. When its in the groove you get rich purple tips, yellow apical corallites with almost a ring of orange around it, and aqua fading to green down the branches as a base color.

Copps' Calacali Stag
PC191843.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This one is...controversial you might say. I purchased directly from RMF, can't say it has ever turned into what I expected from the photo on the site. I guess that is the norm nowadays though.

Kind of a spindly Bali shortcake variant with a deep, almost maroon red base color. Definitely NOT a fast grower for me, though it seems to finally be hitting its stride after several slow years. Reminds me a lot of the original RRC CJ's Pinky in its odd form and persnicketyness.

RMF Bubble Yum
PC191777.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's a funky one I have never managed to photograph well, and still think I haven't exactly captured.

A relatively minor variation on the same species as the GC Ultimate "efflo" and the Serpentman "soli", this one is somewhere in between in terms of darkness of green and purple, but has unusual yellowish orange on the tips of every edge branch, which doesn't show well in this photo.

Its possible that it is the BC Ultimate Soli, but I haven't been able to confirm that. It did come from Battlecorals, but I think without a moniker

Update, this is confirmed as the BC Ultimate Soli!
PC191767.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Finally after many many attempts I have what I'd consider the closest representation of this troublesome coral in a photo. It seems to be in the same clan as the many yellow tippers out there like Pink Floyd, Inland Cyclops, Lemonpeel, etc. The main difference is a shift toward orange in those yellow tips and a solid base color of bright fluorescent aqua green.

What it lacks in photographic ease it makes up for with hardiness.

CC Black Hornet
PC191775.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
And one more that I have really really struggled with photographing, primarily due to my neglect and abuse of the coral (because it tolerates it). This is a super hardy fast growing table, with a really nice growth form. If you are a beginner who wants a tabling acro in your tank but dont want to shell out the big bucks, this is the one for you. It doesn't take getting to much size at all before it starts forming nice yellow-green shelves with blue tips. You can see it hitting the back wall in this tank and climbing up it in veritable shade...that is not the norm for many of the other light-hog tabling Acropora out there.

BC Ultimate Table
PC191806.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lastly for today (I think), here's a nice thick slower stubby, maybe shallow water acro? Thrives next to my humilis and doesn't cause any trouble.

For whatever reason I have never photographed it. I dont think I'm hitting it with as much par as Adam did in his photo on the site, but mine is in a particularly shaggy mood.

BC Battle de Fuego
PC191794.jpg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@therman - amazing pics man . Looking really good !

The RMF bubble yum has never bloomed like anything that Jared showed when it first came out :(

Have you witnessed shading with the photon v2 ? Or rather the questions is how many units do you use over each of your frag tank to reduce shadowing of large colonies ?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@therman - amazing pics man . Looking really good !

The RMF bubble yum has never bloomed like anything that Jared showed when it first came out :(

Have you witnessed shading with the photon v2 ? Or rather the questions is how many units do you use over each of your frag tank to reduce shadowing of large colonies ?

yeah...Bubble Yum...

I don’t have major shading issues. Most tanks only have one fixture wide (a couple have two end to end), but the new backup system has broader tanks with two parallel units over 30” wide tanks to create a “hot zone” of 6-700 PAR where they overlap in the middle. It is far less of an issue with dispersed panel arrays like Reefbreeders than it is with the concentrated pucks of other brands.

Back