therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders Photon v2. The AB was photographed under pretty heavy blues. The Kombucha looks like that under full spectrum, it is one of the nicest tenuis out there..kind of a purplish/indigo color.
Awesome. Last question.....until the next one. What intensity do you have your whites on your v2’s?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@therman
Great thank. Can you remind us again what king of lightning do you have on this tank? I would love to try to imitate your success.

Last edited:
OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@therman
Great thank. Can you remind us again what king of lightning do you have on this tank? I would love to try to imitate your success.

It is mostly Reefbreeders photon v2 lights. I run them at a constant mix of blue/white as I mentioned above (~70% white and red channels, 100% for the others). These don’t fade on or off, just all on at once. For some
of these photos I have dialed back the whites somewhat to make the colors easier to photograph (which would probably be comparable to a mid morning/afternoon setting if you fade on the whites) and I use the underwater white balance setting on my Olympus TG-5 point and shoot.

As anyone who has tried knows, it is a challenge to photograph corals and capture all the colors. I am no expert at it and this is just the method I’ve stumbled upon which works for me. I am not a fan of the “neon frag levitating in a pit of tar” look that seems to be dominating certain vendors and social
media these days.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still can't wait to get pieces from you. My tank is turning around for the better. Dino battle bryopsis. GHA. Im battling it alll but getting t5 hybrid tomorrow to hook up. No idea how to get it running to my ghl mitras but I'll just wing it. Hoping it helps more.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, but do you know what your nutrients are at? I know you run (or at least used to) your alk over 9, and do you have any problems with burnt tips on anything?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Finally got the camera out again...

A long overdue coral. There are a lot of aqua tipped corals out there and this is perhaps my favorite.

Greg Hiller Aqua Delight

Gorgeous aqua base tone that persists in the body of the coral, stunning blue and purple tips, and nice red-hued tips on the axial corallites. Old school classic that looks better than a lot of corals that cost 5x as much :)

P8191964.jpg
d

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you actually put the Olympus TG-5 point and shoot under the water when taking pictures

Yes I do most of the time! So much easier than fighting reflections of lights off the surface or distortion from shooting through the glass.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just curious, but do you know what your nutrients are at? I know you run (or at least used to) your alk over 9, and do you have any problems with burnt tips on anything?

I try to keep my main system at 9.1-9.3 dKH, and 0.15 ppm PO4. Nitrates are consistently undetectable and have been for ages. After learning a bit more about the subject, and doing a microbiome analysis with @AquaBiomics , I suspect all of my nitrogen gets absorbed by the massive amount of rapidly growing coral as ammonia, before it gets the opportunity to be converted to nitrite/nitrate. The corals are by no means showing symptoms of nutrient deficiency, and the microbial analysis showed a dearth of bacteria associated with nitrite/nitrate conversion.

The only time I've had issues with burnt tips was when I'd be on vacation and something would go wrong with the calcium reactor. I had this happen a couple of times in the past 5 years, when KH would jump to 10 or 11 and a few corals would get seriously upset. Since then I have adjusted my reactor system to prevent it....knock on wood, so far so good.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Still not super happy with this photo, as it is a really cool coral that is under appreciated and is purpler than this image shows.

BC Bonsai humilis

Super tight growing flat plate covered in short knobby tips. Doesn't seem too demanding for a "humilis" type, does fine at PAR down in the 300s. Honestly I dont have any other coral in my collection with a growth form quite like this one!

P8191941.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back