therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This coral needed an update from that blue heavy photo I took a while back. Getting some crazy green in the middle now, really a funky one! And due to the goofy shadow from a glass cross-brace, you can see what it looks like in bluer light on the left, or whiter light on the right :)

BC Aquabat!

P8191939.jpg

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I try to keep my main system at 9.1-9.3 dKH, and 0.15 ppm PO4. Nitrates are consistently undetectable and have been for ages. After learning a bit more about the subject, and doing a microbiome analysis with @AquaBiomics , I suspect all of my nitrogen gets absorbed by the massive amount of rapidly growing coral as ammonia, before it gets the opportunity to be converted to nitrite/nitrate. The corals are by no means showing symptoms of nutrient deficiency, and the microbial analysis showed a dearth of bacteria associated with nitrite/nitrate conversion.

The only time I've had issues with burnt tips was when I'd be on vacation and something would go wrong with the calcium reactor. I had this happen a couple of times in the past 5 years, when KH would jump to 10 or 11 and a few corals would get seriously upset. Since then I have adjusted my reactor system to prevent it....knock on wood, so far so good.
With nitrates undetectable are you doing any type of dosing for p04 to keep it that high? Have you experimented with lower po4 along with the undetectable nitrates?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
With nitrates undetectable are you doing any type of dosing for p04 to keep it that high? Have you experimented with lower po4 along with the undetectable nitrates?

No, it just seems to maintain there most of the time. I have fed Reef Roids in the past, though I've dialed it back lately and most things seem happier and more stable. I have 3 auto feeders feeding NLS pellets and F2 flake to the system, and feed some frozen daily to a fish that won't eat dry food.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's a nice millepora that came without a name, from Ryan Russo. So I present to you the...

RRR millepora (Ryan Russo Red)

I really wanted to turn it into some sort of punnier dig on Reef Raft, or perhaps Cold War paranoia, but I dont have the energy right now.

A very nice deep blood red millepora, nothing wrong with that!

P8191934.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
An old school classic that I feel like it's taken me almost 10 years to get growing and happy. Actually have 2 small colonies now doing great and even took a couple of frags.

A stubby millepora/spathulata with amazing colors, totally worth the wait!

RMF Red Matrix
P8241968.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the light colored polyps on yours, I don’t see them on any of the other pics but the others are more purple overall. Think they are just getting more light than the one you pictured?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I like the light colored polyps on yours, I don’t see them on any of the other pics but the others are more purple overall. Think they are just getting more light than the one you pictured?

No idea! Mine is at the edge of the tank, maybe only getting 350-400 in that spot. I shifted it slightly and it lost most of the green in the tips...not sure if that was from a difference in growth pattern or a change in lighting.

Seems like most of the other photos out there are under a lot of blue and/or saturation cranked. Mine is the only one I've seen in person, so I have nothing to compare it to.

It is a nicer coral than I expected for sure, got it from @jda in a trade and it might be my favorite thing from the deal (so far)! Plus, like I said, I am a sucker for granulosa/loripes :)

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This one took a ton of patience and then more time to actually get it under my better camera. Definitely on my short list of favorites though. So many colors layered on a fluorescent gold base that is right up at the top of "best Gold colored Acro" out there. Sort of thin branching A. loripes style stag. Those tips....!! Piercing blue when they are growing the fastest and then chill out to a blue/red/purple combo. And I haven't even tried photographing it under straight blue.

RR Olympus

P8252009.jpg

P8252012.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow! I babied this one along from a tiny little 1/2" frag, so glad I did. Some of these tables take their sweet time before they hit their stride, but they sure are worth the wait!

Amazing luminous red table, yellow highlights and hints of blue-green in the tips. Really a spectacular coral @Battlecorals !!

BC Backdraft table

P8262088.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back