therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For the longest time I had zero luck growing "Pearlberry" types...not sure why, they seem like a pretty standard nasuta growth form, but for whatever reason they would brown out and waste away.

Finally have some frags that look like they will grow. This is the first variant to hit its stride!

TGC Pearly Gates

P8262092.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Update to a really exceptional coral. Hard to explain the metallic coppery fluorescence that radiates from this coral. At least this photo did a good job of getting the aqua tones in the new growth

BC Bellicose Trobairitz

P8282105.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update to a really exceptional coral. Hard to explain the metallic coppery fluorescence that radiates from this coral. At least this photo did a good job of getting the aqua tones in the new growth

BC Bellicose Trobairitz

P8282105.jpg

Wow the word coppery is spot on, what a cool tone that color is and the green tips are nice too. Love the granny’s and am curious how different the skyline from Ora is going to be.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow the word coppery is spot on, what a cool tone that color is and the green tips are nice too. Love the granny’s and am curious how different the skyline from Ora is going to be.

I almost ordered a Skyline in the past, but I cant find any photos that show any sort of remarkable coloration in it....so I havent pulled the trigger yet.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the longest time I had zero luck growing "Pearlberry" types...not sure why, they seem like a pretty standard nasuta growth form, but for whatever reason they would brown out and waste away.

Finally have some frags that look like they will grow. This is the first variant to hit its stride!

TGC Pearly Gates

P8262092.jpg

This is a great coral. Mine gets more blue than what you’re showing here. Mine was a really fast grower when it was a baby. At full colony size, it’s stalled on me and took a big hit recently with some chemistry issues. Getting color back slowly.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is a great coral. Mine gets more blue than what you’re showing here. Mine was a really fast grower when it was a baby. At full colony size, it’s stalled on me and took a big hit recently with some chemistry issues. Getting color back slowly.

For sure, mine is just growing out of the encrusted green blob phase...I'm excited to see more blue come in as it matures :)

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not too much SPS related, as they dont really bother SPS normally...

But I posted in the reef fishes forum about this and thought people that follow my system thread might be interested. I had some of those little clear thread-like hydroids in one of my tanks that were getting kind of abundant and stinging a few zoathids that were growing in the margins. I picked up a tiny Pygmy Cherub Angelfish from DD and it did a fantastic job of clearing them out. Cant find a single one visible now after a couple of months. It is also a very cute fish.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done! Really cool looking sps.
Btw, how much light to you give your granulosa corals?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much SPS related, as they dont really bother SPS normally...

But I posted in the reef fishes forum about this and thought people that follow my system thread might be interested. I had some of those little clear thread-like hydroids in one of my tanks that were getting kind of abundant and stinging a few zoathids that were growing in the margins. I picked up a tiny Pygmy Cherub Angelfish from DD and it did a fantastic job of clearing them out. Cant find a single one visible now after a couple of months. It is also a very cute fish.

Woah! Your talking about the tiny clean ones that make a rock look like it is fuzzy when they get bad? Those things are tough of zoas if so and if you had a Pygmy do that that’s amazing. Wish I could have tried it when I saw them years back. They were in a tank pretty badly.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you have TGC Red Wings? Would love to see that next to RR Raven

I do not. I've heard they are quite similar, if not the same, so I tend not to collect duplicates if I can avoid it. There are so many re-named corals nowadays that I dont waste precious space on things if they are virtually identical.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do not. I've heard they are quite similar, if not the same, so I tend not to collect duplicates if I can avoid it. There are so many re-named corals nowadays that I dont waste precious space on things if they are virtually identical.

Yup I am trying to do the same now, I was going to see if I could get the RR Raven from you but I noticed how similar it looks to my TGC Red Wings so I was hoping you could tell me theyre not the same hahaha

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yup I am trying to do the same now, I was going to see if I could get the RR Raven from you but I noticed how similar it looks to my TGC Red Wings so I was hoping you could tell me theyre not the same hahaha

I won't turn you down, if you want to compare, but I did want to give you my honest answer :)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the mussels! I have one that I have had for around the same time that’s still living but it is much flatter. It was about 1/2” when I got it and about 2” now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back