therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Update to this one! Turns out it is Peng's Cherry Tip Granulosa.

Thanks @Peng !!

Never enough smoothies!

Beautiful mint green granulosa...unfortunately I cannot remember where I got it from!

P8262099.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Absolutely beautiful photos!!

Thank you!! Slowly trying to improve my technique to show corals at their best without the excessive saturation levels. It really cracks me up when I see sellers post corals for sale that they got from me and they look like a psychedelic poster (usually on Zuckerbook). I cant even recognize my own pieces!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Love the mussels! I have one that I have had for around the same time that’s still living but it is much flatter. It was about 1/2” when I got it and about 2” now.

That is awesome. I just noticed a couple more today....super cool as they identify which were those original Fiji rock pieces. I added a bunch of yellow tufa that I drilled full of holes at the same time back in 2006 and now it is all otherwise indistinguishable until you break into it and see the Fijian concrete :)

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Another one for the Smoothie Chronicles!

I thought for sure I'd posted these before, but I cannot find them.

This one is a no namer grown out from a frag. Gorgeous darker red granulosa with yellow/green in the older depths of the base. Maybe my favorite red coral now :)

Since it had no name, I'm calling it...

Swearwolf

Under daylight:
P7171243.jpg

Under blues:
P7171191.jpg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very nice, it’s not a rosaria?

great question...there seems to be a continuum of morphology between rosaria, loripes, and granulosa from what I can tell, so I don’t think anyone can say “for certain” until there are genetic profiles for these coral species. Definitely grows faster than some of the smoothest of the granulosa types, and not as fast as the branchiest “loripes”. I also don’t see the multi-branching morphology of rosaria in these that I see in photos of wild rosaria. They seem to trend toward a tabling morphology, at least in captivity. As it grows the older branches get sparse corallites on the Swearwolf.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it’s so tough to tell, the smooth branches that are lower defiantly make it confusing with the branches that have the coralites running down them. Either way it’s going to be a superb piece! I love how you explain in depth how each coral looks and grows and whatnot. I wish more vendors and hobbiests would give more info on the corals they picture. I think it’s a really good thing for people to be interested in this stuff and not just what color the coral is. I think reeffarmers site did this very well but I haven’t taken notice to too many others that do this. Of course I am not really big into names and lineage so I don’t frequent many sites so maybe there are more doing it I just don’t know about.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the BellaT growing for you?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How's the BellaT growing for you?

Amazing! Posted an updated photo here a little while back. The metallic copper sheen and polyps are so cool. Unfortunately polyps aren't out all the way in these due to the handling.

Here are a couple from that shoot:
P8282105.jpeg

P8282106.jpeg

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Hows the CR Eternal Flame doing?

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also growing great, though I havent taken any new photos of that one in a while.
What colors are common for it to have? some of the pictures i've seen have it as more of a red base

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What colors are common for it to have? some of the pictures i've seen have it as more of a red base

It's quite variable, but I'd say the main color is a dark red/maroon. It takes some pretty extreme lighting and filters to look anything like that photo on his website. I usually give it as a freebie :)

Overfloater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim, looks like the CORA swap has been announced for November in Columbus. Are you planning to attend? I need to restock my tank after an acro holocaust which unfortunately includes the nice pieces I got from you.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not good at sharing images of my tanks. I'm terrible at keeping glass clean. I really enjoy seeing corals grow out into healthy colonies from small frags.

On that note, this 36x36x18 tank was set up first in 2010, moved to a new house in 2012, and nearly crashed (due entirely to my neglect) in 2013. After the near crash it was consolidated into one system with an older SPS setup, and the whole thing has evolved into a sprawling ~730 gallons across 7 aquariums and a stock tank.

I tragically lost a stunning ~18" blue squamosa that I cherished at the start of this year, but that has freed up almost 1/4 of the tank to adjust the aquascape. I'm still not quite sure how exactly I want it laid out towards the back left, but I'm really liking the interplay of color and form of the Skinny Love/24k Leptoseris/Hawaiian Pocillopora combo through the middle. This shot is taken from the right side looking across towards the left side, so the front panel of the tank is the one in the left of the frame.

Enjoy :)

IMG_2394.jpg
Whats the two deep red ones above the yellow encrusting?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Tim, looks like the CORA swap has been announced for November in Columbus. Are you planning to attend? I need to restock my tank after an acro holocaust which unfortunately includes the nice pieces I got from you.

Is that even legal? Didnt know big indoor events were allowed again. I won't be standing at a table for hours, but I can hook you up with a nice pack. I need to drive past Columbus in October if you want to meet up or we can arrange something else.

Just shoot me a message and we can work something out for sure :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back