therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

joejayhawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, how many carrots had to be offered before THAT bunny ventured out of his hole lol.
Watched the reefbum chat. Your sticks look beautiful! What floored me was the fact that I have been involved in saltwater for over 30 years and have not met many successful reefers near me. Ive also found that what few LFS that are left offer very little.....certainly no SPS. Some of the subtle things you mentioned or otherwise talked about made me thing you live in my area (I live in Maumee). I have a mixed reef with pretty good success and over the past few years, I have been frustrated with Corals that I had to cut that ultimately are thrown out because I have no real options. My tank is only 100 gallons and life and wife has limited my ability to expand into a large system like yours. If you or anyone else you know in our area maybe looking for free frags moving forward...let me know. Enjoyed your chat with reefbum.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Watched the reefbum chat. Your sticks look beautiful! What floored me was the fact that I have been involved in saltwater for over 30 years and have not met many successful reefers near me. Ive also found that what few LFS that are left offer very little.....certainly no SPS. Some of the subtle things you mentioned or otherwise talked about made me thing you live in my area (I live in Maumee). I have a mixed reef with pretty good success and over the past few years, I have been frustrated with Corals that I had to cut that ultimately are thrown out because I have no real options. My tank is only 100 gallons and life and wife has limited my ability to expand into a large system like yours. If you or anyone else you know in our area maybe looking for free frags moving forward...let me know. Enjoyed your chat with reefbum.

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sent you a message

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would love to see an updated FTS of this reef! What'd ya say @therman? Doable?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The video here will show you more than you'll get out of a single photo :)

The video tour starts at about 11:45 into the video.

I dont have any updated shot like the first ones in this thread. The tank with the clam has undergone some major changes, so I've been removing some older corals and starting with new different frags/mini colonies.

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video here will show you more than you'll get out of a single photo :)

The video tour starts at about 11:45 into the video.

I dont have any updated shot like the first ones in this thread. The tank with the clam has undergone some major changes, so I've been removing some older corals and starting with new different frags/mini colonies.

Wow. @BeardedMcG @xiaoxiy

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give a brief review on my purchase that arrived today from @therman.

• Professionally packaged
• Generously sized
• Healthy coral with immediate polyp extension
• Great communication
• Freebies

I’m overall extremely pleased from the 13 acros that he shipped. Each and everyone of them exceeded my expectation.

BUY WITH CONFIDENCE!!! Thanks Tim and I look forward to my next purchase from you.

Jtimbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to mr. Therman. Just curious, say you have a new 40 nano 5 spots to let them grow out, what 5 acros do you pick?

Jtimbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant yours, I'm dealing with constraints.. But no constraints would be more interesting

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video was pretty cool Tim. Crazy how a system just tends to branch out over the years though. We have very similar setups and parameters too which would probably explain why the frags you sent me did so well from day 1. I also have been using Reef Crystals since 2000 (except for when I used an Oceanic/IO mix for awhile) until I received several bad boxes in a row and wiped out mose of my LPS, so I switched over to Red Sea. Have you had any recent issues with RC?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That video was pretty cool Tim. Crazy how a system just tends to branch out over the years though. We have very similar setups and parameters too which would probably explain why the frags you sent me did so well from day 1. I also have been using Reef Crystals since 2000 (except for when I used an Oceanic/IO mix for awhile) until I received several bad boxes in a row and wiped out mose of my LPS, so I switched over to Red Sea. Have you had any recent issues with RC?

No, I havent, though my water changes are mostly small replacement changes <5% for replacing water removed for quarantine tank and frag packing. I have a stockpile of RC from the before the pandemic that should keep me going for quite a while. Was there a specific lot number or issue that was determined to be the problem?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I meant yours, I'm dealing with constraints.. But no constraints would be more interesting
Well, they are all in my collection but not all stuff I'm fragging. Been pondering this for a few days :)

I am partial to brightly colored smooth corals. I'm thinking:
Skinny Love
Hung's Rainbow/Valentina
RRC Jawdropper
Reefgen Blueberry Fantasy
Ari's Avalanche maybe? or another nice deep purple smooth thing. Actually have a gorgeous purple turaki that has been slowly picking up steam that I really like.

Really almost impossible to limit to just 5 though. And I've got more things I'm growing out that could work their way onto that list and bump something off on any given day :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the live stream as well. It's funny, I spent the first 33 years of my life in NW Ohio, but left in 2002 for SoCal. I'm sure our paths would've crossed at some point, especially with our common interest in reefs and amphibians. I think a sps pack is in my future. Great sticks!

Jtimbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they are all in my collection but not all stuff I'm fragging. Been pondering this for a few days :)

I am partial to brightly colored smooth corals. I'm thinking:
Skinny Love
Hung's Rainbow/Valentina
RRC Jawdropper
Reefgen Blueberry Fantasy
Ari's Avalanche maybe? or another nice deep purple smooth thing. Actually have a gorgeous purple turaki that has been slowly picking up steam that I really like.

Really almost impossible to limit to just 5 though. And I've got more things I'm growing out that could work their way onto that list and bump something off on any given day :)
Yeah I see new ones everyday it seems, that knocks another off in my prime spots, right now I'm going with red devil nasuta, wd, pink floyd, bc dog boy clathrata, voodoo majick, bc aquatic man and jf Fox flame.. trying to use all different colors and as little color or type redundance as possibl. My last addition and front and center I think will be homewrecker or jolt but now I may consider skinny love too

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back