therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

Rick j

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyree Merlin's Staff
P7171257.jpg
How’s it going wanted to touch base with ya and see if you have any frag packs coming up I’m looking for Merlin staff optimus prime and others please let me know thanks Rick

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
These photos really aren't up to usual standards, but I just realized that realistic photos of this coral are really hard to find on the internet.

I got this as a rather expensive ($300?!) small frag and it hadn't impressed me while it was growing out, so I kicked it off to the back edge of a prop tank. I'd thought it was a granulosa when I ordered it and it clearly wasn't when it showed up.

It is actually a Bali Shortcake/A. latistella without the yellow tips, but with a nice deep purplish red coloration and bright green/gold marbling in the base of the older growth. I was initially put off by the dullness, but realize now that was just because it is a latistella and that's how the newest growth looks. Reminds me a bit of the Swearwolf color scheme now.

UC Siren
Daylight:
IMG_6611.JPG

Filtered blues:
IMG_6614.JPG

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I guess I should put this in my build thread too. Perhaps the nicest looking Acropora colony I've ever seen in captivity :) I was extremely suspicious of the hype around this coral and did not think any of the little stunted frags I saw for crazy prices would be worth it. I started with a really nice healthy frag and it has grown really well for me.

RRC Jawdropper growth progression, starting with about 1" frag from @FarmerTy

Jan 2020
IMG-2399.jpg

Nov 2020
IMG-4716.jpg

Sep 2021
IMG-6959.jpg

And a video for full effect :)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I should put this in my build thread too. Perhaps the nicest looking Acropora colony I've ever seen in captivity :) I was extremely suspicious of the hype around this coral and did not think any of the little stunted frags I saw for crazy prices would be worth it. I started with a really nice healthy frag and it has grown really well for me.

RRC Jawdropper growth progression, starting with about 1" frag from @FarmerTy

Jan 2020
IMG-2399.jpg

Nov 2020
IMG-4716.jpg

Sep 2021
IMG-6959.jpg

And a video for full effect :)

Named correctly!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is another one I've been quietly sitting on.

WWC Ari's Avalanche

One of the nicest and most exceptional "deepwater" acros I have ever seen. The most intense purple of any coral and with long smooth branches and fluorescent green polyps to boot. I have two small colonies going, one of them is totally nuts, with 2-3" long smooth and gracefully curving branches...unfortunately that one is in a terrible spot to photograph:
IMG-6648.jpg

However this one isn't too bad looking either :D
P9082239.jpg

Some people say it is a lokani, but it grows differently than any lokani I have tried before (and has survived, unlike all other lokani in my tank).

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is another one I've been quietly sitting on.

WWC Ari's Avalanche

One of the nicest and most exceptional "deepwater" acros I have ever seen. The most intense purple of any coral and with long smooth branches and fluorescent green polyps to boot. I have two small colonies going, one of them is totally nuts, with 2-3" long smooth and gracefully curving branches...unfortunately that on is in a terrible spot to photograph:
IMG-6648.jpg

However this one isn't too bad looking either :D
P9082239.jpg

Some people say it is a lokani, but it grows differently than any lokani I have tried before (and has survived, unlike all other lokani in my tank).
Is it me or are smooth skin acropora simply the best looking sps, ever? Mix in a couple millies, but honestly, I could have a handful of smoothies and I’d be completely content. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is it me or are smooth skin acropora simply the best looking sps, ever? Mix in a couple millies, but honestly, I could have a handful of smoothies and I’d be completely content. Thanks for sharing!
You've noticed a trend in my collection? Haha..it's not just you. I've been on a quest for a couple of years.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG!!! This is what i like! How much light is low?

Back