therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome thank you! I was thinking of using kalk alongside my calcium reactor to help raise PH especially going into winter when the house is all closed up and PH seems to drop some.

what kalk do you use in your reactor?
BRS. Seems to have helped, I started in winter for that reason too.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here's another beauty that I've been hiding for a while.

ReefNation Purple Turaki

I suspect this might be the same as the long lost "Tu-Rod-Key" of early 2000s Rod Buehler fame. Not sure how to tag Rod on here to get his opinion, but the geography matches up.

Really nice branchy solid purple turaki with brighter purple new growth. How can you not love it?
IMG_7567.JPG

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This photo will be something of a placeholder until I get a nicer shot of it.

Peng's Blue Monster

Really stunning cousin to the Reefgen Blueberry Fantasy, with more of an indigo blue tip and white to gray base color. You can see the Blueberry Fantasy sneaking in from the top left and compare the blues. Amazing form, I really love these super thick, smooth, christmas-tree-shape growing acros. Feel free to reach out to me if you have more varieties like this you'd be interested in sharing/trading :D

IMG_7574.JPG

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Peng's Blue Monster

Really stunning cousin to the Reefgen Blueberry Fantasy, with more of an indigo blue tip and white to gray base color. You can see the Blueberry Fantasy sneaking in from the top left and compare the blues. Amazing form, I really love these super thick, smooth, christmas-tree-shape growing acros. Feel free to reach out to me if you have more varieties like this you'd be interested in sharing/trading :D

IMG_7574.JPG
That's an absolutely gorgeous piece!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What do frags of this run?
Just added it to my sale post list, can work out better deals for local pickup as well:

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never met a granulosa I didnt like. This one is no exception, with a soft purple overall base tone and bright yellow-green growth tips.

WWC Purple Candle

P8241994.jpg
How much light do you keep it under? Looks really nice!

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Peng's Blue Monster

IMG_7574.JPG
At what par do you keep your granulosa at?

also, what’s your top 5 favorite granulosa? I really love the intense white only found in granulosa! (Or whatever smooth skin this is)

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
At what par do you keep your granulosa at?

also, what’s your top 5 favorite granulosa? I really love the intense white only found in granulosa! (Or whatever smooth skin this is)

I dont know what to call these honestly. They are granulosa-ish. Maybe they are a true granulosa and all the others are loripes? This one and the blueberry fantasy are very similar to each other and different than all the others. They grow in a christmas tree form when grown out, rather than a table like the traditional ones. There seems to be a continuum of growth forms between granulosa, loripes, and rosaria.

This variety seems hardier than the others in my experience, and thrives and grows anywhere between about 300-500+ PAR. The sweet spot for all the "granulosa" I have seems to be around 450. I have one other one that I think might be the same "species" as the two blue ones, and that is the Raising Reefs Master Yoda (which I also suspect might be the same as the original BC Soda Popinski). It is still a frag though and time will tell. I have a Purple Monster from Copps that is also shaping up to be extremely similar, so maybe they are all one big happy family.

My absolute favorite granulosa is a purple tipped one from Peng originally. I havent posted a photo as I dont want to deal with the requests or jinx it ;) It seems to be one that lends itself to really long smooth branches like the cherry tip, with some phenomenal colors.

Other favorites:
Reefgen Blueberrry Fantasy
Swearwolf
Another one I havent posted yet that also gets the long smooth branches and tends toward a blue/teal/green color scheme
Any of the rainbow types
Hung's when it actually grows and is happy (very rarely, so most of the time I am unhappy with it)

Any of them easily make top 10 corals just due to their growth forms when they are really in their prime. However it seems quite rare for them to achieve that in captivity, for whatever reason. I don't think they like to be fragged, especially on a repeated basis

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread and quiet often refer to your video with reefbum which is a lot of insight.
Not sure if you covered this? Whats your total photperiod at 450 par? That most of your acros seem to be getting? Is it rump to 100% straight away and keep it there until your lights switch off?

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefNation Purple Turaki

I suspect this might be the same as the long lost "Tu-Rod-Key" of early 2000s Rod Buehler fame. Not sure how to tag Rod on here to get his opinion, but the geography matches up.

Really nice branchy solid purple turaki with brighter purple new growth. How can you not love it?
IMG_7567.JPG
I donnu, think I’ll need to verify this piece looks like this in my system. ;)

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Love this thread and quiet often refer to your video with reefbum which is a lot of insight.
Not sure if you covered this? Whats your total photperiod at 450 par? That most of your acros seem to be getting? Is it rump to 100% straight away and keep it there until your lights switch off?
Schedule is about 7 hours at full PAR, with an hour of either ramp up or just blues at either end (depending on the tank). Dont think the ramping really makes much difference, some of them I just like a chance to check on things under blue each day if I happen to be in the room.

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefNation Purple Turaki

IMG_7567.JPG

oh nice, that’s one of Justin’s pieces. I visit him often. He has a huge amount of colonies that he grows out of his garage. They’re all gorgeous. Used to be able to get some of his frags for super cheap when Facebook allowed auctions.

is there any Facebook auctions anymore?

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the fact that you’re posting mother colonies so that we know how our little frags would turn out. Definitely help with the aesthetics of the coral placement. I’m in Dayton so I’ll definitely hit you up if I’m ever in the area

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Loving the fact that you’re posting mother colonies so that we know how our little frags would turn out. Definitely help with the aesthetics of the coral placement. I’m in Dayton so I’ll definitely hit you up if I’m ever in the area
Yeah it is super frustrating to find expensive frags for sale and no photos anywhere of what they grow into. Usually either means they end up ugly or someone is just chopping up wild colonies and hyping them.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back