Thermos Swap: When's the last time you traded frags with someone locally or via mail?

When is the last time you traded frags with someone either locally or via shipping service?

• Days ago

Votes: 75 12.3%
  • Weeks ago

Votes: 83 13.6%
  • Several months ago

Votes: 46 7.5%
  • Over 6 months

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Over a year

Votes: 39 6.4%
  • Several years

Votes: 55 9.0%
  • Never Traded

Votes: 294 48.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've traded in person, but I've never done the thermos swap thing. That sounds like fun!!

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take corals in to the local store for credit instead of swapping for a few reasons...
  • I often shop by eye/color and know it when I see it.
  • I also don't go for named corals, and if it is named I rarely remember what its called so it's harder to negotiate the trade if I don't recall names of what I'm trading.
  • I'm also worried about perceived value, and wonder if I'm going to have to negotiate the trade.
Because of all that... I'm way more likely to give away coral, if the local store doesn't want them.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our club, the Tornado Alley Marine Aquarium Society in Tulsa, OK swaps frags at all of our monthly meetings. We’re starting those up again this month.

dsloan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 years ago in Orlando FL I would trade all the time a lot of people back then and in FL did saltwater a lot, now here in Columbia SC haven’t ran into anybody that does saltwater but here in SC they are a little butt backwards.

Slatkid96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time, many moons ago, us zoanthid lovers would have what we called "thermos swaps." We would buy a lunch box soup thermos, pack what frags we could get in there, and ship via 2 day usps for a few bucks. That was fun! Of course we now have really good insulated shipping boxes to use! I was thinking about frag trading today and was wondering how often people are still actually trading, not selling, coral frags. Let's talk about it today!

1. When is the last time you traded frags with someone either locally or via shipping service? (NO BUYING OR SELLING BUT AN ACTUAL TRADE)

2. Would you be interested in finding people that just wanted to straight up trade frags?

m_5d1f8d5a5feabb3879657b85.jpg
I just started my salt water tank (took over my sister in-laws tank) it has been running for about 8 months now give or take a little bit of time.
I would be interested in buying some coral for sure but would want to be able to run a take first!

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time, many moons ago, us zoanthid lovers would have what we called "thermos swaps." We would buy a lunch box soup thermos, pack what frags we could get in there, and ship via 2 day usps for a few bucks. That was fun! Of course we now have really good insulated shipping boxes to use! I was thinking about frag trading today and was wondering how often people are still actually trading, not selling, coral frags. Let's talk about it today!

1. When is the last time you traded frags with someone either locally or via shipping service? (NO BUYING OR SELLING BUT AN ACTUAL TRADE)

2. Would you be interested in finding people that just wanted to straight up trade frags?

m_5d1f8d5a5feabb3879657b85.jpg
Yes I would be interested for sure!!! That would be pretty fun

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I did this was about 10 yrs ago. There was a forum like this called renegade reefers. Maybe some remember it, or were members. It was a totally blind swap that someone would take a leap of faith and send a frag to one person. Then the party that received the first frag would send a different frag on to the next person on the list. Some ppl send awesome stuff, some ppl send what they had that they were able to frag. It wasn't a monetary thing. But everyone was included that wanted to be. I don't recall anyone being disappointed or regretful they sent some exotic zoas and got a kenya tree. We did this a few times and it was great. Bottom line, anyone who is in this hobby can definitely afford to be generous. If anyone is interested I'll start a list, take a leap of faith and send the first frags. It might be a kenya tree or gold tip torch( really not the point). And yes I have both LoL. The surprise and interaction is more to the spirit of this than what you can get for free. If interested let me know. I'm personally excited for any frags. Regardless of the current trend or price

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those claiming nothing to trade, perhaps paying shipping is enough to get corals. Some or us are looking to clear space and have too many mushrooms or others they may be willing to part with, free.
(Can you pm ups labels?)

Erikhsf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trade that much but whenever I am in the LFS and someone is new or a kid reefer that can afford corals I give them frags. When I got my first coral like 20yrs ago. I was in the LFS asking questions again my tank had been cycling for a few weeks and the fish was fine ( back then you would cycle a tank with live rock and a fish) and this guy was bringing in coral to sell to the fish store and he gave me a few Kenyan tree corals. So I like to do the same with anyone new I run into. But I would love to trade with anyone I have a few frags right now if anyone is interested.

Erikhsf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I did this was about 10 yrs ago. There was a forum like this called renegade reefers. Maybe some remember it, or were members. It was a totally blind swap that someone would take a leap of faith and send a frag to one person. Then the party that received the first frag would send a different frag on to the next person on the list. Some ppl send awesome stuff, some ppl send what they had that they were able to frag. It wasn't a monetary thing. But everyone was included that wanted to be. I don't recall anyone being disappointed or regretful they sent some exotic zoas and got a kenya tree. We did this a few times and it was great. Bottom line, anyone who is in this hobby can definitely afford to be generous. If anyone is interested I'll start a list, take a leap of faith and send the first frags. It might be a kenya tree or gold tip torch( really not the point). And yes I have both LoL. The surprise and interaction is more to the spirit of this than what you can get for free. If interested let me know. I'm personally excited for any frags. Regardless of the current trend or price
You can put me on the list if you do let me know what you need.

Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always reluctant to trade because I tend to be very specific about what I want and I feel bad when someone sends me a whole list to trade for my item, just for me to say no thanks.

However, I'm pretty sure I traded someone on this thread Kenya tree and GSP for what I hope was good will. :) Time will tell.

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put me on the list if you do let me know what you need.
Awesome. I'll send to you first. Let's get some more ppl involved and we'll work out the logistics of trading. Remember these will be shipped to ppl. Just a reminder to anyone else that wants in. This is exciting!

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm crappy at predicting trends and end up with tons of corals I can't give away. At frag swaps, I did much better as people walk by, see it and buy it. I've even seen corals I had trouble giving away bought by vendors and end up in their tanks with ridiculous prices, although I don't think they sold. With Covid, no one is driving to my house for a $5 frag.

I've been resisting it so far, but I may just start buying with cash and throwing my corals in the trash.

Slatkid96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trade that much but whenever I am in the LFS and someone is new or a kid reefer that can afford corals I give them frags. When I got my first coral like 20yrs ago. I was in the LFS asking questions again my tank had been cycling for a few weeks and the fish was fine ( back then you would cycle a tank with live rock and a fish) and this guy was bringing in coral to sell to the fish store and he gave me a few Kenyan tree corals. So I like to do the same with anyone new I run into. But I would love to trade with anyone I have a few frags right now

min probably going to be contacting you in a couple of weeks, I don’t have any frags to trade but would be willing to look into buying some from you.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back