Thermos Swap: When's the last time you traded frags with someone locally or via mail?

When is the last time you traded frags with someone either locally or via shipping service?

• Days ago

Votes: 75 12.3%
  • Weeks ago

Votes: 83 13.6%
  • Several months ago

Votes: 46 7.5%
  • Over 6 months

Votes: 15 2.5%
  • Over a year

Votes: 39 6.4%
  • Several years

Votes: 55 9.0%
  • Never Traded

Votes: 294 48.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to trade, my 8 frag frag rock with holders to keep the frags in place is overflowing. Some of the frags are grow out for me. Two different types of candy canes that my dragon wrasse had nearly killed because he likes burying coral frags in the sand then picking them up later to throw around. So, they've been moved to the frag rack to recover (and recover they did!) Now I need to glue them down so they don't get buried again.

But, Yeah, once more people are vaccinated I'd love a good ol coral swap / trade. I've got several healed and growing acros (sticks) to trade.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time, many moons ago, us zoanthid lovers would have what we called "thermos swaps."

I miss the days of when frag swaps were as much trading as selling. Seems like the swaps are all now commercial ventures. Almost 2 decades ago in people basements and doing local reef tours / swaps was amazing.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I miss the days of when frag swaps were as much trading as selling. Seems like the swaps are all now commercial ventures. Almost 2 decades ago in people basements and doing local reef tours / swaps was amazing.

Yes, when I first started, people held frag swaps on their basement, people without corals to trade brought beer or got freebies, no one thought to bring cash.

Now the whole venue is vendors paying $200 for a table space with $100 frags. If you are an organizer who can fill gymnasium you aren't going to turn vendors paying that away.

Orko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thermos idea is fantastic I would be up for that!!I never sell I trade or gov away always have done it that way never sell my grave it is more fun trading them.

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one time, many moons ago, us zoanthid lovers would have what we called "thermos swaps." We would buy a lunch box soup thermos, pack what frags we could get in there, and ship via 2 day usps for a few bucks. That was fun! Of course we now have really good insulated shipping boxes to use! I was thinking about frag trading today and was wondering how often people are still actually trading, not selling, coral frags. Let's talk about it today!

1. When is the last time you traded frags with someone either locally or via shipping service? (NO BUYING OR SELLING BUT AN ACTUAL TRADE)

2. Would you be interested in finding people that just wanted to straight up trade frags?

m_5d1f8d5a5feabb3879657b85.jpg
I selected other. I regularly swap corals because for me it’s not about the money. It’s about having new corals. Supposed to meet a guy today to trade hammers for torches.

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago, when shipments from Indonesia stopped and shipments from Australia did not start, there were no corals for sale in the LFS and I had to buy frags because I then restarted my tank after the crash.
Today, with over 50 SPS and about 30 LPS in 65 gallons, I can sell frags myself, but I hate doing it. Usually I exchange frags with the guys I know.
But sometimes, I can sell and usually not expensive (10-20 dollars) for a frag. I am collecting this money for future purchases (I just collected and already ordered Kessil A360x).
I exchange not only with my friends, but also with the owner of the LFS.
For the $ 200 one head of Dragon Soul Torch, I gave 9 frags of my two Frogspawns (neon green and purple-tipped green).
And it is profitable for him and it is good for me.
A month ago, I gave away one frag of Dragon Soul Torch (by that time he had grown to two heads) and 5 more frags of my Frogspawns for $ 200 Australian Gold Torch.

Julie kerley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I'll send to you first. Let's get some more ppl involved and we'll work out the logistics of trading. Remember these will be shipped to ppl. Just a reminder to anyone else that wants in. This is exciting!
I so want in on trading.

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so a few ppl seem interested in doing an old school thermo swap. Let's give it till the weekend. Who ever wants in, like I said I'll send the first one to Erikhsf. He/she was first. Then they send it to whomever is next and so on, finally ending with me. Anyone seriously interested PM me and will work out the logistics.

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this work? Do you overnight the thermos? Doesn't the cost of shipping outweigh any savings over buying higher priced frags?

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this work? Do you overnight the thermos? Doesn't the cost of shipping outweigh any savings over buying higher priced frags?
Yes you have to ship it overnight. Yes it might be cheaper to just pick up a few frags online or at your LFS. It's not really about cost savings. It really just about interaction between fellow reefers and the surprise of what you might get

coral408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as I can give zoas separate places to grow and control their wild spreads, I still enjoy the presence of colorful and hardy zoas in my tank.
9C5F6C71-BA3F-44C0-8331-506E6430CC39.png

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to sell my first coral frags in the next few weeks. Some giveaway to local refers. And Some acros that have grown enough to frag and grow out some of the frags. So, excited to see my hard work come to fruition. Not that I'm in it to sell corals. Not at all, I just have enough growing now that I can frag some. Purple montipora anyone? I've got that growing like a weed. I'm just glad it's purple and not orange. Love the purple color.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Time for a bump.

Probably not quite the right time of year to be bringing this up again but it will be soon. Some of my Zoas have grown since this thread was started, and I have an ever-increasing amount of GSP that I could send.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back