Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah things have changed. No longer can we buy giant colonies at the LFS for $40. To do this hobby I must do frags.

Some luck can be had at LFS but it can also be VERY expensive. I got some nice hammer frags that are growing like weeds for $20 at my LFS.

I have yet to find luck from hobbyists locally. Covid doesn't help.

The live sales is where I live. The latest WWC event I spent $30 on shipping and another $100 on corals. I got my 2 $5 frags and a few that were in the $10-25 range. Averages out to $22 a coral.

It can be done, it's just not as cheap as it used to. If you want to do the crazy named, crazy coloration corals, I agree prices are insane.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it’s time for the hobby to change. Maybe it would be better to buy 3 or 4 frags and grow them out rather then a hodgepodge of mixed corals that would never appear like that in nature.

OcellarisClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what turns my stomach into poop

It ain't even pretty

I check websites pretty often and it’s been on there for a while. I would be interested in buying it at a slightly lower price hahahah

A lot of my frags from TSA have not done well in my tank for some reason while other frags from other places have flourished. BMF signature Corals has one of the best packaging IMO.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, and in a couple of years it will be under $100 or gone from the hobby because nobody could grow it or colour it up
But you can pay 59.99 a month to have this Acro in your tank....

Financing a freaking Acro!!!!! lol

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS sells SPS 25-35€ a very generous frag ! Now and then they have 50€ frags, but nothing like 100+ for a Acro frag. I've seen some ridiculous prices on some shops online, asking 200/300€ for a frag when I saw almost the exact one or with very similar coloration on my country shops for 30€ .

Here this is what 95€ can get you :
IMG-20210723-WA0120-03_copy_1000x586.jpeg

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yup, and in a couple of years it will be under $100 or gone from the hobby because nobody could grow it or colour it up
lol, i hear ya.
but this has been around for years,
and most people lost theirs.
so the price has actually held steady!
supply and demand…

tsa’s overpriced version looks like crap btw…

Last edited:

OcellarisClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in WWC and TSA the other day. A one head torch for $500. Who's buying this stuff? $300 for a 1" frag of acro. All I ended up buying was a frag of zoas, and that was $40. Sometimes I feel like just doing the entire tank with gsp.
At least with GSP you know it won’t die for some unknown reason unlike acros xD

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got so many wonderful "10 buck chuck" corals in my tank from Live Sales and swaps...the most expensive coral I own is my hammer (paid 65 for it), my torch was only 40 bucks (purple w/ green tips - stunna)!!!

OcellarisClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, i hear ya.
but this has been around for years,
and most people lost theirs.
so the price has actually held steady!
supply and demand…

tsa’s overpriced version looks like crap btw…
There were some other high-end acro websites selling their Vivid Insanity 1”-1.5” frags for $300-380 that were actually mostly colored up already whereas TSAs Vivid is mostly green.
After sinking $1K+ of frags from TSA, their acros just aren’t as healthy, vibrant, or colored up as other acros from other vendors from my experience. I do like SBB, TCK Corals, BMF signature, POTO, or Unique Corals since they sell their frags after they’ve fully colored up and the frags handle shipping well and are “healthier” if that makes any sense.

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen a lot of suggestions to look around at fellow reefers for bargains. I’ll admit even fellow reefers can be greedy. Okay, maybe not greedy, but also not willing to offer an actual bargain. I’m not going to call anyone out in particular, but I’ve seen many people offering frags of similar size and appearance to the online boutiques and only taking $10-$20 off the price. For a $50 frag that’s a steal, but when you only take $20 off of $300…that’s not a bargain at all.

Sometimes the answer is to just settle for the corals (frags) that are in the price range you’re comfortable paying. And then, with time, if you’re willing to learn how to frag, hold, and sell; you can use your growing corals for fuel the growth of your budget to afford the more pricey ones.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell designer zoas for $10 in orlando area. Buy from locals. I shop at WWC when they have sales. They have tons of frags at $10 - $25.

FragFarm

Frag Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am a new vendor here. I started my company because years ago I had a shop and fast forward I could not believe how this business became. Although I can’t fix wholesale prices or shipping which has become out of control due to this “pandemic” I try to go out of my way to keep prices down and offer coral not tiny little fragments of what was once a coral and work with people. Give me a look and maybe our shop we a good fit for you

Thanks
Nick

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of options in the far sale sale section on r2r

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back