These ICP numbers can't be right, can they? (ie Nitrate 599.7)

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having a problem with some of my euphyllias bailing out as well as a few other corals not looking dying or getting close to dying.
I ran cipro for 6 days to see if that would help, but before I started, I sent off a sample to ATI for testing.
It's giving me:
Silicon 440.7 (it's saying it should be 107.3)
Iodine at 27 instead of 68
Tin at 42.74 instead of .53
Nitrate at 599.7 instead of 2.

That nitrate one strikes me as being wrong not only because it's so high, but also 599.7 sounds like it could be the upper limit of the test and maybe something went wrong and it maxed out.

Tin worries me, but I'm not sure if it should. I have no idea how high that really is in the grand scheme of things. I know Randy has mentioned it can be from the tubing leeching it into the water, but my RODI came back at 0 and it gets pumped through same tubing. I'll check all my magnets and heaters, but I don't think that's going to be it.

I did a Triton ICP test about a year ago and see my Silicon was really high back then as well (540) and Iodine was low (13), so that all tracks (I still want to address it, but at least it's consistent).

I'm also happy it verified that my Mastertronic, and my various other test kits, are giving me reliable results, so that's nice.

Here's a link to the rest of the results. Other things are high or low, but I'm less concerned about them, if for no other reason, I'm not sure if I should go down the rabbit hole of chasing numbers on things like Barium or Manganese.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 16.7%
Back