These spots

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These spots have popped up today, you can see on one image how white they are and on the second where they are.

Fish is acting normally, eating etc.

Nothing new been added to the system.

Any ideas what it is? how to treat

unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I can see the spots in the first picture, but they are out of focus. Can you try for better pictures, taken under white light? If that won't work, a short video *might* tell me more. Some background information about the tank and the fish is also important. Here is a link:

Jay

OP
OP
N

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Here's my aquarium:

Type: Reef
Water Volume: 120L (30G)
Filtration: Sump
Lighting: Hydra 26 (on 6 for approx hours)
Established: 3-4 years

Water Details:
Temp: 24
Ph: 8
Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia: Near Zero
Nitrite: Near Zero
Nitrate: Near Zero
Phosphorus: Near Zero
Copper: Don't know
Kh: 6.1 (this is low)
Mg: 1290
Ca: 430

Nero Zero is due to using Api kit, the reading is closer to this than the higher one.

In Depth:

No fish loss
No invertebrates lost
Respiration: Currently lights off and hiding. Didn't notice any increased rate yesterday.
Feed like normal last night
I have been battling GHA for some considerable time.

Tried nothing. Image above, is the best I can get. Will try later today when the lights are on. There was two bright white spots near gills on one side and a single spot on it's tail.

Only affected fish is my single yellow tail damsel. 3 clowns and a royaldotty back all looked okay last night. A range of leathers, mushrooms zoas, hammer, torches. Alll looking okay.

Spots weren't there the previous day.

Assumption Time
Is this white spot? I've never had it before, is it fatal? Should I just ditch him now or let it run it's course? Is there treatment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Here's my aquarium:

Type: Reef
Water Volume: 120L (30G)
Filtration: Sump
Lighting: Hydra 26 (on 6 for approx hours)
Established: 3-4 years

Water Details:
Temp: 24
Ph: 8
Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia: Near Zero
Nitrite: Near Zero
Nitrate: Near Zero
Phosphorus: Near Zero
Copper: Don't know
Kh: 6.1 (this is low)
Mg: 1290
Ca: 430

Nero Zero is due to using Api kit, the reading is closer to this than the higher one.

In Depth:
No fish loss
No invertebrates lost
Respiration: Currently lights off and hiding. Didn't notice any increased rate yesterday.
Feed like normal last night
I have been battling GHA for some considerable time.

Tried nothing. Image above, is the best I can get. Will try later today when the lights are on. There was two bright white spots near gills on one side and a single spot on it's tail.

Only affected fish is my single yellow tail damsel. 3 clowns and a royaldotty back all looked okay last night. A range of leathers, mushrooms zoas, hammer, torches. Alll looking okay.

Spots weren't there the previous day.

Assumption Time
Is this white spot? I've never had it before, is it fatal? Should I just ditch him now or let it run it's course? Is there treatment?
It doesn’t look like marine ich/white spot to me, could be lymphocystis (non fatal) but the timeline isn’t correct for that, mostly seen in newly acquired fish. I’ll wait for better pics…
Jay

OP
OP
N

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, when I got home last night. The spots were almost gone. There was one small one left. All fish looked fine.

Is this normal? Does this help?

Will ***** again today

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today the spots are gone.

Any ideas what it could have been?
Beware - marine ich has a synced life cycle when it first gets going, the trophonts drop off at the same time, then new ones return in a day or so, and in greater numbers. Eventually they get out of sync and there are spots all the time and more and more of them.
That said, I see some cases of sand sticking to fish being confused with ich….
Jay

OP
OP
N

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware - marine ich has a synced life cycle when it first gets going, the trophonts drop off at the same time, then new ones return in a day or so, and in greater numbers. Eventually they get out of sync and there are spots all the time and more and more of them.
That said, I see some cases of sand sticking to fish being confused with ich….
Jay
Thanks, I'll keep my eyes out. I was working the evening I first noticed this and was just home for dinner.

If it does return and it looks like itch, is there anything you can do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll keep my eyes out. I was working the evening I first noticed this and was just home for dinner.

If it does return and it looks like itch, is there anything you can do?
Not much you can do about ich in a display tank - easily treatable in an isolation tank though....fingers crossed that you won't need to medicate.

Jay

Back