TheWackyReefer's Adventures in Frag Keeping

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running several reef tanks in the past and getting distracted with other hobbies for the past few years, it's time to get back in the game!

This system will be evolving and growing as my addiction to reefing grows and I'll do my best to document everything that's going on better than I have in the past. I hope you follow along.

Primary Display System:

Crystal Dynamic Aquarium

• 72" x 30" x 27"
  • 1/2" glass thickness
  • Starphire on 3 viewing sides
  • Bottom permiter brace
  • Reinforced vertical seams
  • Overlapping double top brace
  • Shadow overflow
  • Anodized aluminum stand w/ maple wrap

Advanced Acrylics Custom Sump

Lighting:

• 4 x EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w G4 Pro LED

Filtration:
  • EcoTech Marine Vectra L2 Return Pump
  • NYOS QUANTUM 220 Protein Skimmer
    • + Swabbie
    • + Skimmate Locker
  • 4 x EcoTech Marine VorTech MP40wQD
  • Clear Water CW-300 Algae Scrubber (NOT YET RUNNING)
  • TMC 110W UV (NOT YET RUNNING)

Everything is controlled by a Neptune Apex with every accessory you can imagine for monitoring:
  • Trident (Alk, CA, Mg) Monitoring
  • DOS 2-part Dosing
  • DOS Automated Water Changes
  • Water Sensors (floors)
  • ATO v2
  • Water Level Sensors

Current Stock:
  • Blonde Naso Tang
  • Midas Blenny (9/10/19)
  • Tailspot Blenny (9/10/19)
  • Lyretail Anthias (1 Male + 2 Female) (9/10/19)
  • Blue Hippo Tang (9/10/19)
  • Random Clownfish

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grow Out System:

Currently being built by Advanced Acrylics, coming soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will have some pictures of where the setup will go in the next couple weeks. We're still 7-8 weeks out from delivery from Crystal Dynamic.

I have been pondering whether I'm going to go with dry rock (marco or liferock) or ceramic structures from aqua-tecture.com, maybe a combo of both. I haven't seen much information regarding aqua-tecture, does anyone have any comments on this?

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask when you ordered ?

I ordered April 3. I checked in at the beginning of June and they were ~3 weeks out so it should be shipping any time now.

Now comes the challenging part, getting the tank into the basement, as the steps leading down have a 180 degree bend in them.

To get around the bend, the aquarium would need to be turned up on one of it's ends, slid a little ways then taken down the rest of the stairs. I'm really questioning having such a large aquarium sitting on its end. Anyone been through a similar situation?

The alternative is digging out the egress well, removing the window, then dropping the aquarium down and bringing it in that way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered April 3. I checked in at the beginning of June and they were ~3 weeks out so it should be shipping any time now.

Now comes the challenging part, getting the tank into the basement, as the steps leading down have a 180 degree bend in them.

To get around the bend, the aquarium would need to be turned up on one of it's ends, slid a little ways then taken down the rest of the stairs. I'm really questioning having such a large aquarium sitting on its end. Anyone been through a similar situation?

The alternative is digging out the egress well, removing the window, then dropping the aquarium down and bringing it in that way.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Get 4 woods power grip suction cups and two dollys and you should be fine.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump, frag tank ad 2 AIO quarantine tanks all shipped. They should arrive in about a week or so.

Can't wait to show you guys, John from Advanced Acrylics always does a great job!

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She should be shipping out this week!

ho1o1g1.png

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and stand are sitting in the garage. They look absolutely amazing. Current plan is to get everything organized and move them down to the basement sometime in September.

Sump and tanks from Advanced Acrylics also arrived, John did a great job as usual!

I'm currently in the process of setting up the 2 AIO tanks that will be used for fish quarantine and coral quarantine while the big tank is getting set up and cycled. Initially everything will be dipped and observed, with any issues being treated as necessary. I have plenty of time to observe as summer comes to an end and prefer to not over-treat if it's not necessary.

NNZYqzx.jpg

I've also got 3 of the new acrylic filter socks on the way from John, looking forward to see how well these work compared to normal socks.

Last edited:

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank and stand are sitting in the garage. They look absolutely amazing. Current plan is to get everything organized and move them down to the basement sometime in September.

Sump and tanks from Advanced Acrylics also arrived, John did a great job as usual!

I'm currently in the process of setting up the 2 AIO tanks that will be used for fish quarantine and coral quarantine while the big tank is getting set up and cycled. Initially everything will be dipped and observed, with any issues being treated as necessary. I have plenty of time to observe as summer comes to an end and prefer to not over-treat if it's not necessary.

NNZYqzx.jpg

I've also got 3 of the new acrylic filter socks on the way from John, looking forward to see how well these work compared to normal socks.
Nice!! hes taking forever with my sump. Getting a little irritated.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NNZYqzx.jpg

Nice sump! I particularly like having covers over as much as possible. It helps quite things down and slows evaporations.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beautiful tank and sump and Nice dimensions on the tank. Should be aa great build and beautiful home !

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so much to prepare for the big move!

Since I last posted about a month ago, I've set up a smaller AIO tank to get my feet wet again. I used 25 lbs of rubble from Live Rock N Reef with the intent of just using it to get things going, so I experienced very little cycle. This tank will remain running once the main system is set up as sort of a backup with duplicate frags, etc. from the main system.

Over the next week or so I plan on placing my first fish order:
Six Line Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Lyretail Anthias (1 male/3 female)
Tailspot Blenny

For the main system, I've started planning out the plumbing and ordering everything I think I will be needing. I'm sure that won't be the case.

Hopefully the tank will get moved from the garage down to the basement next week and the real fun can begin!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back