TheWB’s IM Lagoon 50

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I really like the stand a lot. Alufab did a great job and I would highly recommend. I’m also happy with how the cabinet lighting came out. I’ve never used strip lights before and the installation was much simpler than I’d been expecting.

You should go for it as soon as it makes sense. I gave the lagoon a good 5 year run and it was definitely time to upgrade. Very happy I did it and got something custom designed to my specific wants and needs.
Appreciate the info about the mini fridge. I know the freezers a the real small ones leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully I can find something that works.
What woild you use the fridge part for? Defrosted food mainly? Phyto and Oyster feast like food? Just wondering. How big is that footprint where you want the fridge?

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What woild you use the fridge part for? Defrosted food mainly? Phyto and Oyster feast like food? Just wondering. How big is that footprint where you want the fridge?
I'm sure I would use the fridge section for food and other items that need to remain cold but I'm mostly just wanting the freezer section so that frozen food is close at hand instead of downstairs in the garage. Pure laziness is what's driving this. Not sure how much room I'll have yet. Need to make a decision on an ATO container first. Leaning towards using a spare 20 gal long aquarium I already have on hand. The current ATO container is only 5 gallons. The new tank has a top which should help with evaporation but it's also got that 48x8 inch open sump so there will be plenty of uncovered area. Still figuring it all out at my usual glacial pace.

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glacial is probably best, better than jumping in and regretting a set up. It probably comes with years of experience. I have used the small freezers and they work well, much better than the combo fridge freezers. Can't wait for more!

Last edited:

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure I would use the fridge section for food and other items that need to remain cold but I'm mostly just wanting the freezer section so that frozen food is close at hand instead of downstairs in the garage. Pure laziness is what's driving this. Not sure how much room I'll have yet. Need to make a decision on an ATO container first. Leaning towards using a spare 20 gal long aquarium I already have on hand. The current ATO container is only 5 gallons. The new tank has a top which should help with evaporation but it's also got that 48x8 inch open sump so there will be plenty of uncovered area. Still figuring it all out at my usual glacial pace.
As a point of reference, my identical-sized tank has a 10 gallon reservoir that I usually fill to about 9.5 gallons and refill at about 2 gallons so figure around 7.5 gallons between fills. I have to refill it somewhere between every 3 to 4 weeks and I'm in Arizona. So I would estimate that I have about 2.5 gallons of evaporation per week, maybe a little less.

I do have covers over my sump area though. My largest evaporative loss areas are the overflow chamber and display. I find that the other chambers of the sump don't evap nearly as much as the overflow or display. If you have your Klir in the first chamber it should help.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a point of reference, my identical-sized tank has a 10 gallon reservoir that I usually fill to about 9.5 gallons and refill at about 2 gallons so figure around 7.5 gallons between fills. I have to refill it somewhere between every 3 to 4 weeks and I'm in Arizona. So I would estimate that I have about 2.5 gallons of evaporation per week, maybe a little less.

I do have covers over my sump area though. My largest evaporative loss areas are the overflow chamber and display. I find that the other chambers of the sump don't evap nearly as much as the overflow or display. If you have your Klir in the first chamber it should help.

Hope that helps.
That does help. I forgot that yours is up and running so I could have just asked you how much top off water you're going through. I'm hoping that the super beefy lid on mine will keep most of the evaporation in check but I also worry that it might cause me some issues with PAR and gas exchange. If I have to I will get a custom lid made with netting instead of solid acrylic. Won't really know until it's up and running how that will play out.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the new tank build.

I have installed and wire managed the Klir-7 filter roller, the Skimmer, the heater, the Maxspect 4K and 2k gyre pumps, the green killing machine uv, one of the Neptune Sky’s and one of the EB832 energy bars.
There’s nothing else I can hook up that isn’t currently running on the Lagoon 50.
Next steps are to start rinsing the dry sand and making sure that the scape, which has been cooking in a plastic bin for several months is capable of converting 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours to zero. This process has dragged out longer than I had hoped and I have lost track of the cycle in the plastic bin. I’ll get it back on track.
IMG_4556.jpeg

IMG_4557.jpeg

Current FTS. Not a lot of maintenance is being done as far as glass cleaning and except for zoas and one gorgonian there no other coral in the tank anymore due to Anenomes running wild. I will be soooo happy to be done with them.
IMG_4558.jpeg

Last edited:

navada718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have installed and wire managed the Klir-7 filter roller, the Skimmer, the heater, the Maxspect 4K and 2k gyre pumps, the green killing machine uv, one of the Neptune Sky’s and one of the EB832 energy bars.
There’s nothing else I can hook up that isn’t currently running on the Lagoon 50.
Next steps are to start rinsing the dry sand and making sure that the scape, which has been cooking in a plastic bin for several months is capable of converting 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours to zero. This process has dragged out longer than I had hoped and I have lost track of the cycle in the plastic bin. I’ll get it back on track.
IMG_4556.jpeg

IMG_4557.jpeg

Current FTS. Not a lot of maintenance is being done as far as glass cleaning and except for zoas and one gorgonian there no other coral in the tank anymore due to Anenomes running wild. I will be soooo happy to be done with them.
IMG_4558.jpeg
Nice update. Happy to hear things are moving along. I'm looking forward towards future progressions updates.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update. Happy to hear things are moving along. I'm looking forward towards future progressions updates.
Thanks, me too, lol. I’ve really got to get things moving along. The new tank was supposed to be wet back in January but life got in the way along with my general mode of not doing things very quickly.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4556.jpeg

IMG_4557.jpeg

IMG_4558.jpeg
It is really coming together nicely.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back