TheWB’s IM Lagoon 50

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big thing for me with the new pump is to tie it in to the apex and also to save some space. I would have no problem using the Mighty Jet because I’m not really using the return pump for flow. 3-5x turnover an hour is ok with me. I don’t have any sps and there are one of each size of the IM wavelinks in the tank for flow. I just wanted a new pump and the Varios-2 has the nice feature of being apex controllable so I went with that.

Definitely planning on some new corals soon. I’m considering changing up the aqua scape though so I might do that first. I’ve kinda backed myself into a corner with options for coral placement with the way my scape is currently set up. I’d like it to be a lot lower but I also need enough cave space for the Tang to hide. I have not quite worked it all out in my head yet.

Apex control would definitely be a bonus.

I hear ya on the scape because I'm finding myself in a similar spot. I have maybe one coral suitable for the top. The fish love the big cave but I find that I'm putting more and more corals on the sand because I don't know what else to do with them. After the hermits knocked my blasto over for the third time today, though, I might have to finally find a solution.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Reef Octopus VarioS 2 pump today, 2-3 days faster than I was expecting, from Bulk Reef Supply. Pretty pleased with that.
3088992A-4F1E-4A8F-95C5-B00A0EC37865.jpeg

It’s unusually hot here and I just spent a couple of hours in my garage changing out all the components of my RODI system. It had to happen but I did not want to do it today in this heat. It actually wasn’t that bad and now it’s done. No motivation at all to put the new pump in though. I was going to do a water change but NO3 was at 3 on Nyos and PO4 was at .05 on the Hanna Checker so no real need.
I ordered my fist ICP test today so it will be interesting to see how that turns out once I get the results. Went with the API that also does a RODI Sample. Might as well do everything if I’m going to do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed an order with Hiddentreasurecorals.com for these.
DE3FB6F1-97E6-42F5-8168-71299026A78B.jpeg

I really like the torch. I’m getting a Goni for the first time and expanding the acan garden. Now I just have to figure out where to put them, sand bed is starting to get crowded.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Reef Octopus VarioS 2 pump today, 2-3 days faster than I was expecting, from Bulk Reef Supply. Pretty pleased with that.
3088992A-4F1E-4A8F-95C5-B00A0EC37865.jpeg

It’s unusually hot here and I just spent a couple of hours in my garage changing out all the components of my RODI system. It had to happen but I did not want to do it today in this heat. It actually wasn’t that bad and now it’s done. No motivation at all to put the new pump in though. I was going to do a water change but NO3 was at 3 on Nyos and PO4 was at .05 on the Hanna Checker so no real need.
I ordered my fist ICP test today so it will be interesting to see how that turns out once I get the results. Went with the API that also does a RODI Sample. Might as well do everything if I’m going to do it.
Any word on the new pump yet? Looking at the same pump or adding a 2nd Mighty Jet to my Lagoon. Pretty sure a 2nd Mighty Jet will fit with a total of 1 inch to spare in the sump(this would be the cheapest route), but i looked at having 1 pump and the VarioS 2 is also what I came up with. So wondering what you think so far of the VarioS 2.
By the way still loving the lights (XR15 Blues ) you suggested.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word on the new pump yet? Looking at the same pump or adding a 2nd Mighty Jet to my Lagoon. Pretty sure a 2nd Mighty Jet will fit with a total of 1 inch to spare in the sump(this would be the cheapest route), but i looked at having 1 pump and the VarioS 2 is also what I came up with. So wondering what you think so far of the VarioS 2.
By the way still loving the lights (XR15 Blues ) you suggested.
Have not installed the pump yet. In order to get it downsized to half inch tubing I’ll need to glue the 1/2 barb adaptor into the 3/4 barb adaptor. I have never ”plumbed” anything before so I’ll need to go get the right product from Home Depot to do it. I don’t really like that I have to jump through that hoop to make it work, I think it should be ready out of the box without having to glue anything but it is what it is. I’m actually hoping that whatever I rigged up for the CurrentUSA pump that’s in there now will work for this one too but I don’t remember exactly what I did there so I’ll have to take it apart to figure it out. I’ll probably get around to it this weekend but I’m kinda lazy so you never know :)

Glad to hear you are still happy with the lights. Hard to go wrong with Radions although I made the choice to replace mine with something else. When are you going to update your thread? I don’t recall seeing one in a while.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed an order today with Salty Underground for seven 1/2’“ or larger high flow Berghia Nudibranchs. Sick and tired of the aiptasia and nothing else is working. F-aiptasia and Aiptasia X both have not worked as expected and peppermint shrimp are useless. I’m going to learn from my last experience and put the Nudis in a container with a rock that has an aiptasia on it and let them get a quick first meal in before release into the tank. Hopefully this, combined with the larger size, will lead to more success. I want to make some changes to the scape and the aiptasia need to go first so I’m not just spreading them around more.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals arrived from Hidden Treasures and so far look good. I’ll post pics in a day or two.

Berghia Nudibranchs also arrived and were smaller than expected. I tried to let them move out of the little cup they come in on their own but so far that’s not working. I’m waiting for lights out to give them another nudge. I thought for sure the smell of food would get them going but so far no luck. Because they are small and I had bad luck setting the small ones free last time I thought this would be the best way to go. I could be wrong.

Huge brawl in the tank today between the Tomini Tang and the larger of the two clownfish. Totally came out of nowhere. I didn’t see it start but I’m guessing the clown tried to kick the tang out of its territory and the Tang decided to teach it a lesson. Clown was racing all over the tank trying to get away but kept going back under the big island where the Tang lives. The Tang would then start biting the clown who would kind of turtle and just take the abuse. I ended up throwing in some food to distract the Tang and the clown made it’s way back to its old territory near the Armor of God Zoa patch.

Kind of an exciting day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone has decided to move back where I want it to be. It started in this location but recently it had moved to the back side of the rock. I wasn’t very visible. Now it has moved back. Hopefully I stays put but y’all know how it goes trying to herd anemones.
F26EBA77-A23D-4B12-8965-E12E4D7D938D.jpeg
9131C994-864A-479E-AC3D-0435D7CEE0F0.jpeg

Just pretend the bryopsis and aiptasia aren't there.

Griev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed an order today with Salty Underground for seven 1/2’“ or larger high flow Berghia Nudibranchs. Sick and tired of the aiptasia and nothing else is working. F-aiptasia and Aiptasia X both have not worked as expected and peppermint shrimp are useless. I’m going to learn from my last experience and put the Nudis in a container with a rock that has an aiptasia on it and let them get a quick first meal in before release into the tank. Hopefully this, combined with the larger size, will lead to more success. I want to make some changes to the scape and the aiptasia need to go first so I’m not just spreading them around more.

I'm so terrified of getting them! I meticulously check every new frag and scrape off anything that remotely resembles an appraisal, or even attach to a new plug. Hopefully the nudis work out for you! Should be fun to watch them munch away.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so terrified of getting them! I meticulously check every new frag and scrape off anything that remotely resembles an appraisal, or even attach to a new plug. Hopefully the nudis work out for you! Should be fun to watch them munch away.
I sure hope so. Getting them out of the little specimen cup they were shipped in without damaging them is not easy. Still working on it :(

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the last 4 of the Berghias settled in the rockwork. I really thought that would be easier. While I had the pumps off I was able to get a good top down shot of the 5 new corals from Hidden Treasures.
BDAF0A9B-225F-4D7D-BAE9-1BF84EA57BBC.jpeg
4FFFC5A6-AA98-4EDB-8934-E8A4204ABA64.jpeg
04DFD9DC-F87F-47E7-BD85-C63DE1DBAB93.jpeg
7C3A5FD5-FFCB-4328-932A-DA6CB65D7A3F.jpeg
3F65A92B-BAC3-46EE-8754-BF3ACADB0859.jpeg
E6756CD3-88E3-48F4-9B22-2FF9791CEF06.jpeg

Last edited:

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
I hope you have better luck with the nudibranch.
I'm following your path with this because I would like to do the same if you'd work out.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
I hope you have better luck with the nudibranch.
I'm following your path with this because I would like to do the same if you'd work out.
I’m really hoping they work out. I saw at least 4 of them crawl off into the rocks. The other 3 weren’t in the cup anymore so I’m assuming they crawled out on their own which is what I was hoping for. One of the ones I let go was pretty close to a big aiptasia so hopefully it didn’t get devoured. They are so small it’s impossible to follow them or find them again. I don’t think any of them were 1/2 inch long let alone bigger. I emailed Salty Underground and they replied that they kind of shrink up during shipping. That may be true but 24 hours later none of them I saw were 1/2 inch. I’m not very happy with SA right now cuz I really wanted bigger ones but there’s nothing to be done about it now.

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheWB How is the Cadlights skimmer going for you so far? I need to bite the bullet soon and buy one. Also, how does it fit into that second chamber? Tight fit or still have a decent amount of room?

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheWB How is the Cadlights skimmer going for you so far? I need to bite the bullet soon and buy one. Also, how does it fit into that second chamber? Tight fit or still have a decent amount of room?
I like it a lot. I think it’s the best skimmer that fits the IM50 Lagoon. Pulls out nice dark skimmate and it’s easy to adjust. It fits the 2nd chamber just fine. I had it out this morning and even with my light bracket slightly in the way it goes in and out pretty easy. Only drawback is that the pump can be a little noisy. That’s why I had it out this morning, to tweak it a little bit, and it’s quieter now. All in all, and considering it arrived broken and had to be repaired by me, I’m very happy with it.

How’s your tank doing? I don’t recall seeing an update in a while.

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it a lot. I think it’s the best skimmer that fits the IM50 Lagoon. Pulls out nice dark skimmate and it’s easy to adjust. It fits the 2nd chamber just fine. I had it out this morning and even with my light bracket slightly in the way it goes in and out pretty easy. Only drawback is that the pump can be a little noisy. That’s why I had it out this morning, to tweak it a little bit, and it’s quieter now. All in all, and considering it arrived broken and had to be repaired by me, I’m very happy with it.

How’s your tank doing? I don’t recall seeing an update in a while.

Nice! I put in an order for the Cadlights skimmer today. Hopefully it arrives unbroken, so we'll see. I like the IceCap K1-50 skimmer, but the fitment is way too tight for the 1st chamber. I some times have to forcefully shove the skimmer body back into the chamber, so knowing the Cadlights skimmer fits easily makes me feel relieved. Yeah, I have been super busy lately and kind of let the tank go into auto pilot, but still manually feeding it. Switched jobs and that has been keeping me busy. I will post some updates on it soon though!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I put in an order for the Cadlights skimmer today. Hopefully it arrives unbroken, so we'll see. I like the IceCap K1-50 skimmer, but the fitment is way too tight for the 1st chamber. I some times have to forcefully shove the skimmer body back into the chamber, so knowing the Cadlights skimmer fits easily makes me feel relieved. Yeah, I have been super busy lately and kind of let the tank go into auto pilot, but still manually feeding it. Switched jobs and that has been keeping me busy. I will post some updates on it soon though!
I’ll look forward to seeing your update. Let me know how it goes with the ordering process on the skimmer. I’m hoping Mode will be better at customer service than CADLights was. I ended up getting a free skimmer out of the deal but I would have preferred good customer service instead. I sent an email to Mode yesterday inquiring about whether they will be selling the skimmer replacement pumps like CADLights did. I’d like to have a backup that is the same so it’ll work properly. I’d also like to get a plug for the skimmer cup drain which was missing on mine. Hopefully they will respond. We’ll see.

Back