TheWB’s IM Lagoon 50

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in your situation a Par meter is essential. When mixing the different types of lighting that you have and with clams that have particular needs you’ve got to dial it in. In my case the Reefi Unos do an excellent job of blanketing the display space in light on the default LPS setting and I think most of the corals like it but without actual Par data is a bit of a crapshoot.
Customizable zones on the newer panel style lights would be a great feature. I’ve thought about un-syncing the Unos to create a higher light zone for the nem and a lower light area for the LPS but with only two of them at different intensities the display would look weird.
The Unos look really cool. From looking at them, not using them or anything, i like those and GHL mitres and the ATI stratons. Th Unos have the long warranty and priced less--i think you made the right decision!!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Unos look really cool. From looking at them, not using them or anything, i like those and GHL mitres and the ATI stratons. Th Unos have the long warranty and priced less--i think you made the right decision!!
I have enjoyed the Unos. They have some prety cool technology with the cooling system and the reeflectors. Glare from the Radion was a huge problem for me due to where I usually sit until I made a shade and then finally bought a 3d printed shade. I was just going to get a second Radion used but then the Uno pre-order at 20% off happened and was too good to pass up.
The only thing I don’t like, which isn’t really even the right way to put it, is the programming. That’s 100% on me though because I have not taken the time to learn how it works. I guess I don’t like that it seems difficult. One of these days I’ll figure it out. I’m kinds envious of a couple of simple knobs on top of a Kessil though lol.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have enjoyed the Unos. They have some prety cool technology with the cooling system and the reeflectors. Glare from the Radion was a huge problem for me due to where I usually sit until I made a shade and then finally bought a 3d printed shade. I was just going to get a second Radion used but then the Uno pre-order at 20% off happened and was too good to pass up.
The only thing I don’t like, which isn’t really even the right way to put it, is the programming. That’s 100% on me though because I have not taken the time to learn how it works. I guess I don’t like that it seems difficult. One of these days I’ll figure it out. I’m kinds envious of a couple of simple knobs on top of a Kessil though lol.

That's the same complaint i have about GHL programing.... Once you learn it, it's fine, but it's always effort and a hurdle to do anything the first time. The kessils plug in controller is okay, a bit cumbersome, but manageable. You don't need it and can use the knobs, but need it to do any dusk to dawn. I dig dusk to dawn, so took the time to program it.

Let me know how the Uno's go, definitely need to see them!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny how that is, things always seem super hard until you do them and then you wonder what you were worried about. I always struggle with lack of familiarity paralysis with pretty much anything.
I’m happy to show the Unos off if you’re ever down this way and want to see them in action.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny how that is, things always seem super hard until you do them and then you wonder what you were worried about. I always struggle with lack of familiarity paralysis with pretty much anything.
I’m happy to show the Unos off if you’re ever down this way and want to see them in action.
Paralysis is it for sure. I have drive diwn to Olympia for work every so often, I'll look at my calendar and we'll make it happen!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paralysis is it for sure. I have drive diwn to Olympia for work every so often, I'll look at my calendar and we'll make it happen!
Cool, I work from home now most of the time so I’m usually around. Shoot me a PM sometime and I’ll give you the contact info. This will be fun, nobody who cares about fish tanks has ever seen mine in person, I don’t have any friends who are also in this hobby.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I work from home now most of the time so I’m usually around. Shoot me a PM sometime and I’ll give you the contact info. This will be fun, nobody who cares about fish tanks has ever seen mine in person, I don’t have any friends who are also in this hobby.
I like to geek out on tanks for sure! Beats the day job, and daily grind (except for family time), for sure !

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic taken with my new iPhone 13 Pro.
A49C67D4-E349-4E79-A2D5-D13ECA9AEC04.jpeg

Not particularly good from a composition standpoint but a giant leap in clarity from previous pics, or at least it seems that way. I had to hold my Icecap filters over the lens because the clip doesn’t work anymore with the new 3 lens setup on the iPhone. That made taking a picture awkward which is why this is the only one I took.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe I just skimmed through 41 pages ;Dead

I just picked up a 50g too, for a really good deal. I guess I can do a proper build thread now.

Good find on that "free" skimmer, by the way lol.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe I just skimmed through 41 pages

I just picked up a 50g too, for a really good deal. I guess I can do a proper build thread now.

Good find on that "free" skimmer, by the way lol.
All this quality writing, 41 pages worth, and you just skimmed? Think of all the gold I wrote that you may have missed. Now go back and read it all again, this time for content, there will be a test.

LOL I’m just kidding, welcome to my thread and thanks for checking it all out, 41 pages is a lot even to skim, and I appreciate that you took the time to do it. And just think, now when you start up your 50 you’ve got a total blueprint of what not to do. Be sure and tag me when you start the build thread so I can follow along, I love to follow the similar builds.

Try not to get into the free skimmer club though, better to pay for one that actually arrives unbroken and includes all the parts from a manufacturer that actually cares, or at least fakes caring well enough to make me feel good about giving them my money.

What are your plans for your 50? Is it the AIO version like mine or will you have the version with the sump?

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this quality writing, 41 pages worth, and you just skimmed? Think of all the gold I wrote that you may have missed. Now go back and read it all again, this time for content, there will be a test.

LOL I’m just kidding, welcome to my thread and thanks for checking it all out, 41 pages is a lot even to skim, and I appreciate that you took the time to do it. And just think, now when you start up your 50 you’ve got a total blueprint of what not to do. Be sure and tag me when you start the build thread so I can follow along, I love to follow the similar builds.

Try not to get into the free skimmer club though, better to pay for one that actually arrives unbroken and includes all the parts from a manufacturer that actually cares, or at least fakes caring well enough to make me feel good about giving them my money.

What are your plans for your 50? Is it the AIO version like mine or will you have the version with the sump?

Maybe one day i’ll try to enter the free skimmer club, but I have an IceCap K1 nano on my 25 that I will just transfer over eventually.

It’s the AIO as well. I don’t have any major plans other than getting a few fish I couldn’t keep in the 25g version.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe one day i’ll try to enter the free skimmer club, but I have an IceCap K1 nano on my 25 that I will just transfer over eventually.

It’s the AIO as well. I don’t have any major plans other than getting a few fish I couldn’t keep in the 25g version.
Cool, like I said, tag me when you start the build thread so I can follow. Sounds like you’ve got some experience with the 25 but if there’s anything I can do to help you out just let me know. I’ve heard good things about the K1 so that should work well.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using the single Xr15 with the RMS mount? I can't remember if you added another one or changed the lighting at all.

I'm trying to think how I'm going to do mine- I have my mind set on two Xr15's pro, but don't want to use the RMS mount. It's way over priced ($103 on brs) in my opinion and doesn't look that great, I think.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using the single Xr15 with the RMS mount? I can't remember if you added another one or changed the lighting at all.

I'm trying to think how I'm going to do mine- I have my mind set on two Xr15's pro, but don't want to use the RMS mount. It's way over priced ($103 on brs) in my opinion and doesn't look that great, I think.
I’m not using the Radion anymore. I replaced it with two Reefi Unos and the Reefi mounting arms which are much less than the RMS mounts. Here’s what they look like. You can turn off the display screens on the front so it’s not necessary to look at that if you don’t want to.
22DD1AC7-EB15-4C69-87BF-F5C988099D53.jpeg

The mounts are basically just 80/20 aluminum.
6C2B9E58-5FB4-424B-8DB4-3AB2BEB977BA.jpeg

The Reeflectors keep light spill and glare to an absolute minimum.
021C464B-9346-4351-AA75-73E5EFDB96C8.jpeg

Highly recommended, I would definitely check them out while you are still shopping for lights. https://www.reefi-lab.com/reefi-led-uno/

Last edited:

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard good things about the Uno's. I wonder if that mount can be retro fitted to the Xr15's.

I was looking at 8020.net and made a little mock-up on Paint 3d on the computer, but i'm not much of a DIY type of person.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard good things about the Uno's. I wonder if that mount can be retro fitted to the Xr15's.

I was looking at 8020.net and made a little mock-up on Paint 3d on the computer, but i'm not much of a DIY type of person.
I don’t know about using this mount with Radions. There is an adaptor to make the Reefi’s work with the RMS mounts so maybe. I just priced it out on BRS and two Radions with RMS mounts comes to about $1130.00 before tax and a pair of Unos with mounts is only $810.00. I’m not knocking the Radions, they are obviously great lights, but for the money I think the Unos with the technology in them and the 3 year warranty is way more bang for your buck, ymmv.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about using this mount with Radions. There is an adaptor to make the Reefi’s work with the RMS mounts so maybe. I just priced it out on BRS and two Radions with RMS mounts comes to about $1130.00 before tax and a pair of Unos with mounts is only $810.00. I’m not knocking the Radions, they are obviously great lights, but for the money I think the Unos with the technology in them and the 3 year warranty is way more bang for your buck, ymmv.
Yeah, the 3 year warranty and more attractive mount ( I think) is definitely a big plus.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rainbow Bubble Tip Anemone, which has been closed up for several days, is on the move. It completely disappeared today and I just now noticed that it’s traveled out from behind the rock tower where it was pretty well established and has come all the way around to the front. I had to move the Gorgonian out of its way. Pics are with no filter on the iPhone 13 pro and moonlight setting on the Unos is at 62%.
E7B3FADD-C19C-423D-B057-06C78E001FF4.jpeg
D2CBB7F2-2FF8-487B-89B0-A98A612E6E29.jpeg
D167DFF7-62B1-46C3-B94B-D806E802AC01.jpeg

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded to the 13 pro when it came out, and it instantly made my Orphek filter lens almost useless lol.

I just have to play around with the phone and figure out which lens is being used for what, wide angle, macro, etc, because I really dig the Orphek camera lens.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded to the 13 pro when it came out, and it instantly made my Orphek filter lens almost useless lol.

I just have to play around with the phone and figure out which lens is being used for what, wide angle, macro, etc, because I really dig the Orphek camera lens.
I have the Icecap filter and the cutouts on the clip make it impossible to use with an iPhone 13. Those pics from last night were just taken off the cuff when I saw the nem moving, didn’t want to wake my wife at nearly 1:00am getting the filter out. I can still use the filter if I just hold it over the lenses without the clip but that’s really awkward. The camera did a 3 second exposure on its own in the low light. I have not made any adjustments to the camera settings but I think for unfiltered pictures they came out pretty good. I took a couple of other shots just to see what they would look like. They were not good.
0719FD98-7098-40F5-BC8A-3DAB1D69DAB4.jpeg

While not a good picture overall it was interesting to see this caulastraea with all its feeders out.
ABEEA87C-A5EF-44C0-A4AF-7D89FFD5551C.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back