OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love xenia, always have. The island ir the back wall are good spots. It tends to grow up or to the side, not really down, so that helps. I ordered some blue and cool red xenia to go along with the red sea and pom pom.
I have always liked it too, but there’s always that fear it’s going to get out of control. That frag you gave me is pretty well isolated until I decide if I want to try and get it going up the back wall or not.
0ED352A5-5073-418D-9F92-F10910AD7B42.jpeg

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been meaning to proactively swap out my heater since the current one was almost 3 years old and I didn’t want to press my luck. It’s a cobalt neotherm and despite all the bad press from cracked housings several years ago it’s been great for me, but it was time. Well this morning it finally failed while I was still sleeping but the Apex alerted me to a temp drop below 76 degrees with a text and I was able to swap in the new BRS Titanium heater that’s been warming up in the bullpen for several months now. I just plugged it in directly to the Apex for monitoring temp and turning it on and off. I have the BRS heater controller that I will hook up and let it do the day to day work with the Apex as backup but I need to figure out how I’m going to mount it first. Really I need to rewire and remount everything in the cabinet, there’s been enough changes that my nice neat organization has morphed into a big mess.
Score one for the monitoring and texting capabilities of the Apex. I don’t really use it for anything complicated but I’m certainly glad I have it.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been meaning to proactively swap out my heater since the current one was almost 3 years old and I didn’t want to press my luck. It’s a cobalt neotherm and despite all the bad press from cracked housings several years ago it’s been great for me, but it was time. Well this morning it finally failed while I was still sleeping but the Apex alerted me to a temp drop below 76 degrees with a text and I was able to swap in the new BRS Titanium heater that’s been warming up in the bullpen for several months now. I just plugged it in directly to the Apex for monitoring temp and turning it on and off. I have the BRS heater controller that I will hook up and let it do the day to day work with the Apex as backup but I need to figure out how I’m going to mount it first. Really I need to rewire and remount everything in the cabinet, there’s been enough changes that my nice neat organization has morphed into a big mess.
Score one for the monitoring and texting capabilities of the Apex. I don’t really use it for anything complicated but I’m certainly glad I have it.

I would definitely not want to share the state of my cabinet lol. I also have a BRS heater and Inkbird sitting in boxes in case of failure. I like the BRS heater because it's relatively compact for its power. Not quite as small as the Innovative Marine heater but still fits the back chambers easily unlike a similar wattage Eheim. But even with the Innovative Marine heater I'm happy to have the Apex monitoring things for the alerts. I'd give the IM heater 5 stars if it had Apex integration or at least its own WiFi. The heater has alarmed on me a few times due to lack of flow but it doesn't do a scrap of good if I'm not around to hear it.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Disaster averted mr. Apex!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely not want to share the state of my cabinet lol. I also have a BRS heater and Inkbird sitting in boxes in case of failure. I like the BRS heater because it's relatively compact for its power. Not quite as small as the Innovative Marine heater but still fits the back chambers easily unlike a similar wattage Eheim. But even with the Innovative Marine heater I'm happy to have the Apex monitoring things for the alerts. I'd give the IM heater 5 stars if it had Apex integration or at least its own WiFi. The heater has alarmed on me a few times due to lack of flow but it doesn't do a scrap of good if I'm not around to hear it.
Yes, this one fits great. The IM one looks really nice but if I’m being honest I just could not justify the expense at the time I was getting the BRS stuff. I’ll likely get one at some point in the next year if I don’t have any other big tank expenses. Reefing on a self imposed (who am I kidding, it‘s wife imposed, and rightly so) budget means I have to wait on some of that stuff. I eventually get it though. Alarms are only good if you get it so the texting thing is a huge benefit. I wonder how much it would cost IM to make that Helios controller Wi-Fi? It is attached to the most likely thing we all have to fail, although maybe theirs is more reliable with the new technology.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Disaster averted mr. Apex!
Yeah, I’m not exactly Mr Technology but I did manage to get a few alarms set up. I really should get the leak detection module as that is the other thing that scares us about a 2nd floor tank on engineered wood floors. We have a leak detector with an alarm but as CBO was saying about his heater controller, it doesn’t do you any good if your not at home to hear it.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG $197 for a heater controller!!!!
I think if you asked IM they would say that the cost is skewed more towards the heating element than the controller, but essentially yes, for a 25 lagoon like yours it costs $197. I was not willing to go there but maybe someday, especially if the technology is demonstrably better. @Mywifeisgunnakillme and @Calm Blue Ocean both have them I believe. What’s the skinny on the Helio’s performance so far?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My man Eric at eelrivercoral.com has very quickly designed my concept to adapt the output of a Reef Octopus Varios2 return pump to the plumbing of my Lagoon 50. Here’s the renders,
2DD5596D-0EC6-407C-91EB-746EA7E45E14.png

826774AA-2636-4C44-9892-0D20BF3A9487.png

and here is the finished product which will be mailed out to me tomorrow.
D650DC15-322A-46D8-ACC0-8B010B020105.jpeg

I’m excited to get this installed and have the pump finally up and running.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you asked IM they would say that the cost is skewed more towards the heating element than the controller, but essentially yes, for a 25 lagoon like yours it costs $197. I was not willing to go there but maybe someday, especially if the technology is demonstrably better. @Mywifeisgunnakillme and @Calm Blue Ocean both have them I believe. What’s the skinny on the Helio’s performance so far?

Insanely stable temp, basically with 0.1 F. A couple times, error codes pop up, or an alarm goes off. But it's helpful and caused by things i am doing in the tank or with the GHL..

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw man, Xmas morning fish suicide. Just found one of my zebra barred dartfish laying on my screen top all crispifled under the lights. This is my first fish loss in this tank. The dartfish was 1 of a pair I got in early June 2019 along with the pair of clownfish. At least it wasnt because of disease (knocks on wood). Very disappointing but it was bound to happen sooner or later. I’m bummed.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, man. Especially on Christmas. Hope your day got better after, Get any Christmas reef gear?
Thanks, it was a bummer but it happens. I’ve been blessed with some pretty good luck in this area so I’m not going to let it get me down.

I didn’t ask for any reef gear for Xmas. I’ve got pretty much everything I need for the moment and due to some recent events around here I just got a brand new truck so I actually requested that the immediate family not get me anything for Xmas, I got more than enough already. Received a little money which might go towards a new fish or some coral in the next week or two if I have any room left after your stuff arrives.

How about you, get anything new for yours? We’re all still awaiting the grand unveiling of the Jetsons scape.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insanely stable temp, basically with 0.1 F. A couple times, error codes pop up, or an alarm goes off. But it's helpful and caused by things i am doing in the tank or with the GHL..

Pretty much the same experience. My InkBird was becoming increasingly erratic with random temp swings when I finally decided to take the plunge. The IM heater keeps temperatures extremely stable. It does throw the odd error, usually flow related from what I can tell. It really likes flow.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw man, Xmas morning fish suicide. Just found one of my zebra barred dartfish laying on my screen top all crispifled under the lights. This is my first fish loss in this tank. The dartfish was 1 of a pair I got in early June 2019 along with the pair of clownfish. At least it wasnt because of disease (knocks on wood). Very disappointing but it was bound to happen sooner or later. I’m bummed.

Sorry to hear, it's never easy losing a fish. I had a goby try the same stunt a while back, I was just lucky enough to spot it in time. Still no idea how that fish fit through the lid like that. :(

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished up your thread. The evolution of your tank was enjoyable to witness. I knew that slimer would color back up as they are pretty much bulletproof as far as acropora go. When I was a reefing newb I abused the hell out of mine and it seemed to survive solely to defy me. It was a 3+ month hospitalization that finally killed off that nano tank and ultimately led to my long break from the hobby. Anyway, I really like the tank... you just gotta get some more sticks! ;) I plan to get back to my own build here this next week. I've been feeling kind of crappy the last few weeks and with the additional hassle of the holidays, the build got put on the back burner. However, being that I am calling it the "sloth build" perhaps it was an appropriate pause? Anyway, I hope you had a good Christmas and have an even better new year.

PS What kind of truck did you get?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much the same experience. My InkBird was becoming increasingly erratic with random temp swings when I finally decided to take the plunge. The IM heater keeps temperatures extremely stable. It does throw the odd error, usually flow related from what I can tell. It really likes flow.
This is good info. I’m getting the exact same .3 degree swings with the new setup as I was with the old. I had the thermostat set to 80 degrees on the Neotherm and had the Apex set for on <77.1 and off >77.1 which caused a stable swing of 77 to 77.3 in my tank. Now with the BRS titanium heater plugged directly into the Apex at the same settings without a built in thermostat the swing is the same. I’m going to use the temp controller anyway once I get a chance to set it up.
Sorry to hear, it's never easy losing a fish. I had a goby try the same stunt a while back, I was just lucky enough to spot it in time. Still no idea how that fish fit through the lid like that. :(
I caught one of the gobies doing this same thing right after I got them. Since then it’s been no problem until yesterday. Stuff happens though, what are ya gonna do?

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished up your thread. The evolution of your tank was enjoyable to witness. I knew that slimer would color back up as they are pretty much bulletproof as far as acropora go. When I was a reefing newb I abused the hell out of mine and it seemed to survive solely to defy me. It was a 3+ month hospitalization that finally killed off that nano tank and ultimately led to my long break from the hobby. Anyway, I really like the tank... you just gotta get some more sticks! ;) I plan to get back to my own build here this next week. I've been feeling kind of crappy the last few weeks and with the additional hassle of the holidays, the build got put on the back burner. However, being that I am calling it the "sloth build" perhaps it was an appropriate pause? Anyway, I hope you had a good Christmas and have an even better new year.

PS What kind of truck did you get?
I’m glad you enjoyed it, it’s been fun to write it all up. When I started I never would have thought I’d write this much.
The Slimer does seem to be on the road to recovery. I don’t know that I’ll ever be a major sticks guy but I’m enjoying the couple that I’ve got now and we’ll see where it goes.
I hope you are feeling better and I agree about the holidays, it’s fun but also a hassle. Try and be a little less slothy with your build thread though, I really like the 33 long and there are so few build threads about them. Yours should be extra cool with the oversized sump.
I got a 2022 Honda Ridgeline. It’s really a Honda Pilot with a short truck bed and folding Tannoh cover which is actually perfect for me.
32540F7F-893A-461B-88F2-724A9AF0555A.jpeg

I wanted something higher off the ground (replaced a Honda Civic) and with all wheel drive. You don’t need 4wd/AWD around here a whole lot but it’s great to have it when you do, like today when there‘s 6 inches of snow on the ground and freezing temps. In other parts of the country this is nothing but here it’s Snowpocalypse 2021. Nobody knows how to deal with it cuz it doesn’t happen too often.
D5F15BFB-5A8D-4813-9A64-4A77E55A26A2.jpeg

I also don’t need the truck bed a whole lot but it will be handy for the occasional trip to the dump or to haul oversized things home like the Xmas tree. Strapping that to the roof of my wife’s Pilot this year was a real PITA. it’s like 90% suv and 10% truck which is just what I need. Very happy with it so far.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try not to be so sloth-like. I was tinkering with the new RODI today. I'll get that scape together this week and post some pics. I've also pretty much decided on a basement sump. I won't hear a peep out of it up here if I go that route. I will just have to check the head pressure of my return pump to see if it will still be able to give me the turnover I want from the basement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So riddle me this y’all. I have not done a water change or added any supplements for Alk or anything else in about a month. Normally you can count on my Alk to read between 9-10 every time. However, the last three tests have come in at 10.7 on 12/12, 11.1 on 12/18 and today it’s at 11.3. I opened a new bottle of reagent and checked it again and got 11.5? Again, I have not done a water change and not added any supplements. Anyone have any thoughts on why I have increasing Alk? I’ve added a couple of sps pieces so theoretically my tank should be using more than it was before, if only marginally. The only other thing I can think of is that the Hanna checker is bad. I’m confused. Corals seem fine except for my Duncan which is always mad lately, most likely because of flow but I’m willing to entertain other ideas.
4B6E978C-A0D7-4A54-8A97-2A3B5C0C9921.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back