OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally made some time to break out the testing kits and it’s a good thing I did. Most things in the tank look pretty good but the Green Slimer is looking ragged.
Parameters were as follows.
Alk 5.6
Cal 380
Mag 1200 but probably lower, I’m not sure I caught the change from purple to blue on the Salifert test kit quickly enough.
Nitrate 7.6
Phosphate 0.11

I was reluctant to dose AFR when I wasn’t testing regularly but that was a mistake. I’ll be getting that going, along with a water change, immediately.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a late night water change tonight and took some pics.
9AC7B7B3-F1CE-4063-99EB-6713509738D2.jpeg
76ADAE60-201B-4CC7-B98F-5655DD4C9E21.jpeg
4817AA0B-4835-4390-BE77-13C2400A6E61.jpeg
C61890D8-FE6F-4946-B672-6B2A327963DB.jpeg
D2CF0617-CA8A-4DB4-903B-8E2157ACEB40.jpeg
CE1C5C8A-283C-4CD9-975B-CAF052844171.jpeg
858661CE-CB99-44F4-A4D0-2420A282F9A0.jpeg
07612FED-9BF5-49F0-9666-E5783A913221.jpeg
38DD7C24-EEAC-44C9-9FE8-5AE9BC511B3A.jpeg
7C91C9C8-0527-4861-8A34-F4A66351C73F.jpeg
911B3092-0A35-4762-9DD2-E9DDCFB00F88.jpeg
36C92E62-200A-4745-A9A6-D297B5E0D000.jpeg
EF90614D-56E9-4325-9452-9A4A51783D53.jpeg

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, what are you at now ~1 month post move?
About 5 weeks or so. Tank was moved on 6/21.
Have not lost any coral, although a couple are looking pretty rough, the green slimer and the branching cyphastrea.
I did lose the zebra barred dartfish and one of the chalk basslets.
All in all not too bad considering I completely disrupted the filtration by removing the sand.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 5 weeks or so. Tank was moved on 6/21.
Have not lost any coral, although a couple are looking pretty rough, the green slimer and the branching cyphastrea.
I did lose the zebra barred dartfish and one of the chalk basslets.
All in all not too bad considering I completely disrupted the filtration by removing the sand.

Definite bummer with the losses but the stuff that's doing well looks like it's doing really well. Pretty crazy how well most of your tank handled such a huge disruption. I think I damaged two corals just doing a water change this week.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definite bummer with the losses but the stuff that's doing well looks like it's doing really well. Pretty crazy how well most of your tank handled such a huge disruption. I think I damaged two corals just doing a water change this week.
You gotta keep your hands out of that tank man lol. I'm pretty surprised its doing as well as it seems to be doing when you combine the move and the sand removal. Hopefully things continue to remain stable.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time.

Did some testing a couple of days ago. I’ve been increasing the AFR dosage to slowly get the parameters back where they are supposed to be.
Alk up to 6.7 from 5.6
Cal down from 380 to 375 so test margin of error, probably no change.
Mag up to 1275 from 1200
PO4 down to 0.04 from 0.11
NO3 down from 7.3 to 0.10 which seems like maybe the test was bad.
So things are mostly trending in the right direction. I need to do another NO3 test tomorrow to double check that result.

I bought some RODI water from the closest lfs to my house since my system isn’t hooked up yet, hopefully that’s taken care of by the end of next week based on what my contractor is saying. Anyhow, the water from the lfs is about 80 tds. Totally unacceptable. At least it was only 50 cents per gallon. Had to pivot to distilled water from the grocery store which read 0 tds on my meter. Should not have trusted the lfs, they don’t have the greatest reputation although they did a great job of moving my tank other than that the top off water they used was about 1.020 when they told me it was mixed at 1.025. My fault for not checking it first.

So I’m trying to slowly recover from the low parameters and the good news is that almost everything in the tank is still looking pretty good. I moved the green Slimer to a higher light area and it seems to be perking up a little. The branching cyphastrea still looks pale on top and I think it’s getting too much light but there’s really no shady spot to move it to. Everything else looks pretty good. My Rainbow BTA may have split again, it’s hard to tell because of where it is. We’ll see if they decide to separate if it really split again.

I’m thinking about reconfiguring my filtration. I have two big bags of Seachem matrix in the display that I’d like to get into the back chambers but it’s very full back there. I might move the skimmer into the first chamber and just let it skim directly from the overflow. That would create room for the bags of matrix and chemipure elite in the second chamber. I added the matrix a few weeks before the tank move to seed with bacteria to try and make up for the removal of the sand bed. That seems to have worked but I’m sick of looking at the bags in the display. I considered just dumping out the bags in the display and using the matrix as a substrate kinda like some people do with calcium reactor media but if I don’t like it it’ll be too much of a to get it out. I’ll probably wait until after the utility sinks get installed next week and then start switching things around.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time.

Did some testing a couple of days ago. I’ve been increasing the AFR dosage to slowly get the parameters back where they are supposed to be.
Alk up to 6.7 from 5.6
Cal down from 380 to 375 so test margin of error, probably no change.
Mag up to 1275 from 1200
PO4 down to 0.04 from 0.11
NO3 down from 7.3 to 0.10 which seems like maybe the test was bad.
So things are mostly trending in the right direction. I need to do another NO3 test tomorrow to double check that result.

I bought some RODI water from the closest lfs to my house since my system isn’t hooked up yet, hopefully that’s taken care of by the end of next week based on what my contractor is saying. Anyhow, the water from the lfs is about 80 tds. Totally unacceptable. At least it was only 50 cents per gallon. Had to pivot to distilled water from the grocery store which read 0 tds on my meter. Should not have trusted the lfs, they don’t have the greatest reputation although they did a great job of moving my tank other than that the top off water they used was about 1.020 when they told me it was mixed at 1.025. My fault for not checking it first.

So I’m trying to slowly recover from the low parameters and the good news is that almost everything in the tank is still looking pretty good. I moved the green Slimer to a higher light area and it seems to be perking up a little. The branching cyphastrea still looks pale on top and I think it’s getting too much light but there’s really no shady spot to move it to. Everything else looks pretty good. My Rainbow BTA may have split again, it’s hard to tell because of where it is. We’ll see if they decide to separate if it really split again.

I’m thinking about reconfiguring my filtration. I have two big bags of Seachem matrix in the display that I’d like to get into the back chambers but it’s very full back there. I might move the skimmer into the first chamber and just let it skim directly from the overflow. That would create room for the bags of matrix and chemipure elite in the second chamber. I added the matrix a few weeks before the tank move to seed with bacteria to try and make up for the removal of the sand bed. That seems to have worked but I’m sick of looking at the bags in the display. I considered just dumping out the bags in the display and using the matrix as a substrate kinda like some people do with calcium reactor media but if I don’t like it it’ll be too much of a to get it out. I’ll probably wait until after the utility sinks get installed next week and then start switching things around.

Are you keeping PO4 in check just with Chemipure Elite? I think I'm going to make the switch. The BRS High Capacity GFO is definitely effective, but I'd like to simplify.

That would be a crazy drop in NO3 if it's true. Need more fish? :D

I keep toying with the first chamber skimmer idea but just can't bring myself to give up filter floss.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you keeping PO4 in check just with Chemipure Elite? I think I'm going to make the switch. The BRS High Capacity GFO is definitely effective, but I'd like to simplify.

That would be a crazy drop in NO3 if it's true. Need more fish? :D

I keep toying with the first chamber skimmer idea but just can't bring myself to give up filter floss.
Yes, Chemipure Elite is all I'm using. I'm actully using the bag rated for 25 gallons right now because it fits in the floss holder better with a pad over the top. I have used the 50 gallon version as well and will probably go back to that if I reconfigure the filtration set up.

I'm pretty sure the NO3 was just a testing error. Not doing anymore fish until I upgrade the size of the tank which is hopefully coming soon.

I figure the first chamber skimmer location will result in more large particulate stuff getting through but hopefully skimmed out. That's the hope anyway. The two extra bags of matrix will get way more flow through instead of just working passively as they are now. Lots of people dont use floss or socks at all so it could work. I guess it will depend on how good my other exports are working. I figure now is the time to try this since if things go well I will be upgrading and wont be able to do it on the new tank which will have a dedicated skimmer chamber. It's kinda fun to be able to design your own AIO that will use proper sized equipment. I love my Lagoon but I'm going to love a bigger one with much larger back chambers better.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clicked the Buy button on a pair of Neptune Sky LED’s. Totally was not expecting to do that now with all of the expenses we have making upgrades to the new house but I couldn’t pass up the 25% off sale. I wasn’t planning on new lights at all but there’s some things about my current lights that I don’t like and with a tank upgrade happening soon I talked myself into jumping on this deal. Two Skys should be plenty of light for the new build without needing any additional supplemental light bars. The compatibility with my Apex for control, along with the ability to connect via Bluetooth if needed were big selling points too. I’m only going to use one of them on the current tank and I’m not sure how I’m going to mount it yet. Probably get a 3d printed solution that will allow me to use the same mounts I have now. They should be here on the 18th but I won’t use them until I figure out how I’m going to be able to mount them.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clicked the Buy button on a pair of Neptune Sky LED’s. Totally was not expecting to do that now with all of the expenses we have making upgrades to the new house but I couldn’t pass up the 25% off sale. I wasn’t planning on new lights at all but there’s some things about my current lights that I don’t like and with a tank upgrade happening soon I talked myself into jumping on this deal. Two Skys should be plenty of light for the new build without needing any additional supplemental light bars. The compatibility with my Apex for control, along with the ability to connect via Bluetooth if needed were big selling points too. I’m only going to use one of them on the current tank and I’m not sure how I’m going to mount it yet. Probably get a 3d printed solution that will allow me to use the same mounts I have now. They should be here on the 18th but I won’t use them until I figure out how I’m going to be able to mount them.

If I thought I could sneak them into the house unnoticed I totally would have done it too, that price is just hard to resist! Fun stuff!

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I thought I could sneak them into the house unnoticed I totally would have done it too, that price is just hard to resist! Fun stuff!
Well, I don’t have to sneak them in the house but this was not a popular idea with my wife by any means. It was a hard no yesterday and then some more negotiations took place. Fun stuff for sure, lol.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered up some M5 threaded T-slot screws/bolts? Not sure exactly what they are, but they fit the screw holes on top of the Neptune Sky and slide into the rails of the Reefi Uno light mounts. I moved one of the light mounts over about an inch and the light slid right in. I was able to quickly program a lighting schedule right in my apex and the light was up and running. I really like it so far, it’s a nice blanket of light similar to T5’s. I’m just running the Blue+ setting to ramp up and down and the Coral Growth setting for the main part of the day. Here are a couple of unaltered pics straight out of my iPhone with no filters or adjustments.
I believe this is Blue+ mode but I’m not 100% sure.
7C9029C1-386E-4642-8BCB-68EB28934985.jpeg
844FCB36-F013-4134-AE23-3528312E9559.jpeg

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered up some M5 threaded T-slot screws/bolts? Not sure exactly what they are, but they fit the screw holes on top of the Neptune Sky and slide into the rails of the Reefi Uno light mounts. I moved one of the light mounts over about an inch and the light slid right in. I was able to quickly program a lighting schedule right in my apex and the light was up and running. I really like it so far, it’s a nice blanket of light similar to T5’s. I’m just running the Blue+ setting to ramp up and down and the Coral Growth setting for the main part of the day. Here are a couple of unaltered pics straight out of my iPhone with no filters or adjustments.
I believe this is Blue+ mode but I’m not 100% sure.
7C9029C1-386E-4642-8BCB-68EB28934985.jpeg
844FCB36-F013-4134-AE23-3528312E9559.jpeg
That looks really good both on the tank and in the tank. Seems to provide really good, even, coverage. At the price you paid, it seems almost like a no-brainer purchase.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks really good both on the tank and in the tank. Seems to provide really good, even, coverage. At the price you paid, it seems almost like a no-brainer purchase.
Thanks, it does look nice and streamlined. And that was part of the appeal. There’s no need for any other supplemental lighting with this fixture and that was definitely a consideration in this purchase. With the two I have now I can upgrade to a 48” long tank and I shouldn’t need anything else. Combine that with 25% off and how can you go wrong? It’s also a bonus that the programming of a schedule was so easy. I’ll need to get a par meter again to dial it in but for now everything looks pretty good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 10 hour power outage on Wednesday. I wasn't home and since we just moved recently of course I didn't have anything ready to go for this type of emergency. Power went out at 11:30 and I finally remembered where my rechargeable air pump was around 3:00pm so I had my daughter put it in the tank to get some oxygen and movement started. It was in the 90's so no worries about temperature at that time. I got home around 4:45 and found my inverter for our EGo batteries. We have been using a lawn service so I have not been regularly charging these batteries. I had no idea how much of a charge they had. I plugged in the MJ1200 I use to mix salt and hoped for the best. The first battery, which is the lagest one we have that came with the lawnmower, lasted for about 3 hours. The smaller battery that came with our trimmer ran for the rest of the time until the power came back on at 9:30. Luckily they were holding decent charges. All in all the tank came through the power outage without any losses or issues. I now also have fully charged batteries ready in case this happens again. I need to run a test on the batteries and see how long they will last with full charges just so I'll know. We have three batteries already and I may get a 4th big one just to be safe. Could probably also find a more efficient wavemaker for this situation too, which might make the batteries last longer.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 10 hour power outage on Wednesday. I wasn't home and since we just moved recently of course I didn't have anything ready to go for this type of emergency. Power went out at 11:30 and I finally remembered where my rechargeable air pump was around 3:00pm so I had my daughter put it in the tank to get some oxygen and movement started. It was in the 90's so no worries about temperature at that time. I got home around 4:45 and found my inverter for our EGo batteries. We have been using a lawn service so I have not been regularly charging these batteries. I had no idea how much of a charge they had. I plugged in the MJ1200 I use to mix salt and hoped for the best. The first battery, which is the lagest one we have that came with the lawnmower, lasted for about 3 hours. The smaller battery that came with our trimmer ran for the rest of the time until the power came back on at 9:30. Luckily they were holding decent charges. All in all the tank came through the power outage without any losses or issues. I now also have fully charged batteries ready in case this happens again. I need to run a test on the batteries and see how long they will last with full charges just so I'll know. We have three batteries already and I may get a 4th big one just to be safe. Could probably also find a more efficient wavemaker for this situation too, which might make the batteries last longer.
Great job not losing anything. Power outages are always pretty stressful events, at least for me. We very seldom have power outages where I live currently. I can remember only five or six, usually under 30 minutes in the 15 years we've been in our current home. I think the longest was six or seven hours.

When I started reefing again I kept telling myself, get a battery air pump, just in case. Of course I never did. Three weeks ago we had a power outage that lasted about three hours. My wife and I took turns stirring the tank with an acrylic rod to get surface agitation and some general flow going about every ten-fifteen minutes. The outage was too short to have really caused issues but you don't know how long it will be when it happens. The good news is I had a battery air pump and batteries that afternoon. I didn't buy a rechargeable because, knowing myself too well, I knew that when I needed it, the battery wouldn't be charged.

I think one of the best features of DC pumps is that they can be powered by batteries without going through an inverter. I just may buy a cheap one and cut the cord to run it off of batteries.

I thought about the automatic emergency air pumps but then I thought 'if I don't leave the air hose and stone in the tank 24/7 how is that any better than a conventional battery air pump?'

Good thing you use electric garden tools.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job not losing anything. Power outages are always pretty stressful events, at least for me. We very seldom have power outages where I live currently. I can remember only five or six, usually under 30 minutes in the 15 years we've been in our current home. I think the longest was six or seven hours.

When I started reefing again I kept telling myself, get a battery air pump, just in case. Of course I never did. Three weeks ago we had a power outage that lasted about three hours. My wife and I took turns stirring the tank with an acrylic rod to get surface agitation and some general flow going about every ten-fifteen minutes. The outage was too short to have really caused issues but you don't know how long it will be when it happens. The good news is I had a battery air pump and batteries that afternoon. I didn't buy a rechargeable because, knowing myself too well, I knew that when I needed it, the battery wouldn't be charged.

I think one of the best features of DC pumps is that they can be powered by batteries without going through an inverter. I just may buy a cheap one and cut the cord to run it off of batteries.

I thought about the automatic emergency air pumps but then I thought 'if I don't leave the air hose and stone in the tank 24/7 how is that any better than a conventional battery air pump?'

Good thing you use electric garden tools.
Getting the Inverter for the EGo batteries was definitely one of my smarter decisions. I actually have an Icecap battery backup that used to be connected to one of the IM wavemakers I no longer use. I need to figure out if it will run one of the Nero 3's. I don't know why it wouldn't, depends on the plugs, but just haven't made the attempt to hook it up and test it out. I'm so lazy.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back