OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your branching cyphastrea is coming along! For me with acros, they sometimes take a while to “settle in” and then once they are ready, they grow quite fast. Even though slimers are beginner acros, they are honestly some of my favorite. I got mine from wwc a few years ago > grew it out > sold frags > left the hobby for over a year > came back and got a frag from my original colony in this tank.
Thanks, that branching cyphastrea is starting to take off for sure, I’m very happy with it.

As far as the Slimer goes, I like them too and I wasn’t really expecting this one to just be perfect right off the bat. I think it is now in about the best spot I can put it in for lighting and flow so I’m just going to leave it alone and see how it does. It’s going to be a learning experience. The LFS I go to usually has purple Slimers as well so if this one turns out to be good I’ll probably get one of those to go with it.

That’s really cool to get some of your original coral back after the break.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started following your build this morning. I have a lot of catching up to do, but I just came to the photos on post #96 after you changed the settings on your radion to something less blue. I gotta say that I'm really liking the way your scape turned out. Those pics really give me a good idea of its actual appearance. I cant wait to get to the more recent posts and see what corals you've added and how the tank is maturing. Thanks for documenting everything so thoroughly, I appreciate being able to see the total evolution of your system.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for tagging along and I appreciate the kind words. If you’ve only made it to post 96 then I can briefly summarize the rest for you. This is post 903 and some stuff has happened since post 96. There, you’re all caught up lol.
Seriously, I hope you enjoy reading it and if you have any comments feel free to chime in, these things are more fun when they are interactive. I’ll be following your 33 long build. I love that tank and yours will be interesting with the 40b sump. Looking forward to those updates.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved some things around trying to make a good spot for the Green, I mean Brown Slimer. It’s not too happy but I’m trying to help it out. New FTS.
D8B14211-A5E0-42F3-8EE0-55B3C087402B.jpeg

The aforementioned Slimer. I have tried to put it in a position where it’s getting lit without any shadows but thats been difficult. It does have some color but it’s not green. Kinda teal on the backside.
7DAD0599-5F63-4701-89D5-A3202819E3D0.jpeg

Side shots.
17F13BC7-4FB5-4C80-984D-CA5DBF878B23.jpeg
D1521593-11DB-4906-ABC6-779430255B42.jpeg

You've got some colonies really taking off! Has the slimer given you any PE yet?

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got some colonies really taking off! Has the slimer given you any PE yet?
None that I have seen. Hoping there will be some soon but being that it’s my first acro I don’t know what to expect. Even before it lost its color it didn’t have any PE.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None that I have seen. Hoping there will be some soon but being that it’s my first acro I don’t know what to expect. Even before it lost its color it didn’t have any PE.

My green slimer has been in the tank about 5 months (hard to believe it's been that long). It's slowly encrusted the frag plug but hasn't grown upward in any appreciable way. Similarly located to yours it's getting about 250 par, maybe a bit more, according to the Seneye. It's not like I'm trying to create an acropora dream land but I'd love to get at least a few of these "easier" guys to do something. I think as long as you aren't having tissue loss and/or algae taking hold you're still good.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green slimer has been in the tank about 5 months (hard to believe it's been that long). It's slowly encrusted the frag plug but hasn't grown upward in any appreciable way. Similarly located to yours it's getting about 250 par, maybe a bit more, according to the Seneye. It's not like I'm trying to create an acropora dream land but I'd love to get at least a few of these "easier" guys to do something. I think as long as you aren't having tissue loss and/or algae taking hold you're still good.
I feel the same way, not going for the acropora tank of the month or anything but it would be nice to keep 2-3 easy ones successfully. I’m hoping it’ll come around but it’s a learning experience either way. I was not ready for the small birdsnest frag I bought last year and it didn’t make it. I’m much more ready for the Slimer and so far it’s not looking great but I’m giving it time. Next up might be a pocilipora like yours or an easy monti. Eventually we’ll find a sps I can grow. Nowhere near done with the Slimer though.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, got some other green sps for you to try going out next week. PM me your shipping address sometime. Anacropora is super easy and not picky at all. Has a growth habit all its own too. Relatively fast grower, but it will die back where it shades itself.

I have classes for the rest of the week and one final exam to give next week, so will probably want to ship out next Tu or Wed. Will let you know the entire list before I ship.

I have never had great luck with stags, and it's been across the board. I had a teal stag back in the day that I kept colored up. Never had great growth or PE, but man, was the color pretty. This slimer never really took off, even when my other Acro was growing like a weed and encrusting like crazy. I've had them under LED, T5s and MH, none performed any better than the others. PE on my slimer has always been good, but growth not so much. I think it must need to be absolutely blasted with photons perhaps.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, got some other green sps for you to try going out next week. PM me your shipping address sometime. Anacropora is super easy and not picky at all. Has a growth habit all its own too. Relatively fast grower, but it will die back where it shades itself.

I have classes for the rest of the week and one final exam to give next week, so will probably want to ship out next Tu or Wed. Will let you know the entire list before I ship.

I have never had great luck with stags, and it's been across the board. I had a teal stag back in the day that I kept colored up. Never had great growth or PE, but man, was the color pretty. This slimer never really took off, even when my other Acro was growing like a weed and encrusting like crazy. I've had them under LED, T5s and MH, none performed any better than the others. PE on my slimer has always been good, but growth not so much. I think it must need to be absolutely blasted with photons perhaps.
I’ll send you that PM shortly.

Here’s a couple of pics I just took. Maybe you guys can give me an opinion as the whether, other than the color which is obviously way off, this actually looks healthy or not. I honestly don’t know.
B538D8B0-A179-415F-B59F-8C6E7400450B.jpeg
15672368-E3F6-4C36-80F8-A95DD6150855.jpeg
30D8D1B1-9AF9-476F-B815-E1B6FCB9A93E.jpeg
BA7A70CC-362F-48DC-908D-D48715C754EA.jpeg

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd color for a slimer. Don't recall, but did it come that color, or morph through time? Maybe more light - can you put it up higher under more direct light maybe?

Polyps not extended is not normal either... how is the flow right there?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd color for a slimer. Don't recall, but did it come that color, or morph through time? Maybe more light - can you put it up higher under more direct light maybe?

The slimer has browned out, some sort of stress event. Best to just leave it alone, when you (WB) pick up my par meter, test the par. But these things aren't picky there so i am not thinking that is the issue.

Any Alk swings, that's a typical cause?

I've had my green slimer colony brown out like that for months then come back, is the good news. It may even RTN some, but often that will stop short of total loss and then it will grow right back over where it died...

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some green digitata and some red monti and some pretty spotted green monti if you want a couple frags. Those are pretty bullet proof. Bring over a little water from your tank if you don't mind, i would not mind doing a couple tests, magnesium, potassium, just to rule out a couple things. .. .

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was the classic bright green. It lost that within a few days. It’s in the highest place I can put it and it’s in between the two lights. There’s really no better place for it currently. It gets flow from both Nero 3’s and one of the return nozzles is pointed right at it. Getting the PAR meter on Thursday so more info available soon on the light settings.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slimer has browned out, some sort of stress event. Best to just leave it alone, when you (WB) pick up my par meter, test the par. But these things aren't picky there so i am not thinking that is the issue.

Any Alk swings, that's a typical cause?

I've had my green slimer colony brown out like that for months then come back, is the good news. It may even RTN some, but often that will stop short of total loss and then it will grow right back over where it died...
I have not done an Alk test in the last two weeks but it’s always between 9 and 10, which is weird because my salt is supposed to mix up to 8 but it’s always been that way. I will be sure to test Alk and Cal before I come over.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some green digitata and some red monti and some pretty spotted green monti if you want a couple frags. Those are pretty bullet proof. Bring over a little water from your tank if you don't mind, i would not mind doing a couple tests, magnesium, potassium, just to rule out a couple things. .. .
Will do, thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done an Alk test in the last two weeks but it’s always between 9 and 10, which is weird because my salt is supposed to mix up to 8 but it’s always been that way. I will be sure to test Alk and Cal before I come over.
Are you dosing a two part or alk solution?

At some point, your Alk will start dropping daily. My 10 gallon coral qt (that is filled with display tank water each week) even needs daily Alk supplement, just a couple small cap fulls, but the Alk is varying enough daily now between doses--about 1 dkh--that i bought dosing pump for it. I just don't like that big of swing... Coral stressor, no doubt.

Certainly, a key to SPS is stable Alk.

If it's easy enough, test your Alk tomorrow and on Thursday. See if you're seeing a change and how much? What Alk test do you use?

I only say all this because a coral browning out could be a few things, but i remember reading nutrients were under control on your tank.

I think you're going to need to test Alk at least once or twice a week--with SPS--preferably daily, just to make sure your dosing is spot on, especially when things are starting to grow and you just don't know how fast.

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing a two part or alk solution?

At some point, your Alk will start dropping daily. My 10 gallon coral qt (that is filled with display tank water each week) even needs daily Alk supplement, just a couple small cap fulls, but the Alk is varying enough daily now between doses--about 1 dkh--that i bought dosing pump for it. I just don't like that big of swing... Coral stressor, no doubt.

Certainly, a key to SPS is stable Alk.

If it's easy enough, test your Alk tomorrow and on Thursday. See if you're seeing a change and how much? What Alk test do you use?

I only say all this because a coral browning out could be a few things, but i remember reading nutrients were under control on your tank.

I think you're going to need to test Alk at least once or twice a week--with SPS--preferably daily, just to make sure your dosing is spot on, especially when things are starting to grow and you just don't know how fast.
I’m not dosing two part because there’s never been any detectable consumption beyond the Hanna Checkers margin of error. Here’s my last 11 Alk tests.
94ED521D-A93C-4E97-A345-FA21517EAD2A.png

It’s always between 9 and 10 with a weekly water change of 4.5 gallons (total system volume is 37 gallons).
I should be able to test later this morning and on Thursday morning but I’d be surprised if there was any significant difference. I do have some two part on hand and could add some but I’ve just never seen the point considering the very minimal consumption. Currently, besides the Green Slimer, the only corals that should be consuming Alk are a Duncan, a Frogspawn, a Torch, a Caulastrea a branching cyphastrea and a Goni so 6 lps pieces. Only the Frogspawn is large. They just don’t take up that much Alk. I would love to see some consumption but it’s just never been there.
I did dose some Flux RX recently to deal with some nuisance algae but that was after the Slimer was already in its current condition. That means I skipped a water change and it’s likely N and P are a little higher than normal but again that’s after the Slimer browned out.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that helps narrow things down. Alk doesn't look like big swings. Plot thickens!

Let's test potassium and magnesium, just for the hell of it. But unlikely unless bad salt.

Gonnie looks good, as do other corals, so maybe it's just a tank maturity thing; acros are the last corals to thrive and first to suffer in tanks that are newer (and i think newer lasts a while with dry rock???). I'd say it was a one off on this one coral but this coral looked good for a few weeks?

You could try one of those aquabiomics tests? Or an ICP just for the hell of it?

I have seachem media you can have out of my sump. Probably some helpful bacteria. Low probability of pests because i qt corals and all fish were qt'ed. One guy on youtube who has had mystery bacteria issues doses Dr. Tim's, i think eco-balance. Whatever the one that says it keeps down virbio... He said the dr. tims eradicated the vibrio according to before and after aquabiomics testing. he seems to know his stuff. So that could be a cheap thing to try. Doubt it would hurt.

I think my tank matured pretty quick simply because its rock scape is many years old live rock, swapped from other tanks, that hasn't even been dry and because corals from the old 20 gallon went straight in from day 1 (plus a herd more i bought at the same time, lol).

OP
OP
TheWB

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that helps narrow things down. Alk doesn't look like big swings. Plot thickens!

Let's test potassium and magnesium, just for the hell of it. But unlikely unless bad salt.

Gonnie looks good, as do other corals, so maybe it's just a tank maturity thing; acros are the last corals to thrive and first to suffer in tanks that are newer (and i think newer lasts a while with dry rock???). I'd say it was a one off on this one coral but this coral looked good for a few weeks?

You could try one of those aquabiomics tests? Or an ICP just for the hell of it?

I have seachem media you can have out of my sump. Probably some helpful bacteria. Low probability of pests because i qt corals and all fish were qt'ed. One guy on youtube who has had mystery bacteria issues doses Dr. Tim's, i think eco-balance. Whatever the one that says it keeps down virbio... He said the dr. tims eradicated the vibrio according to before and after aquabiomics testing. he seems to know his stuff. So that could be a cheap thing to try. Doubt it would hurt.

I think my tank matured pretty quick simply because its rock scape is many years old live rock, swapped from other tanks, that hasn't even been dry and because corals from the old 20 gallon went straight in from day 1 (plus a herd more i bought at the same time, lol).
Yep, it’s a mystery. You may be right about tank maturity. I’ve used different types of bottled bac including Dr Tims and I’ve added rubble from a couple different lfs’ s as well as that wonder mud from IPSF. Plus whatever came in on coral frags. The Slimer lost its color almost immediately, within a few days of being in the tank. I have done an ICP test back in late July and nothing was out of spec there, couple minor recs from them, I’ll show it to you, I posted in this thread somewhere, just need to find it again.

I think having old rock does help a lot. I’m thinking about that nano special from Gulfliverock for some diversity straight out of the ocean. I’m thinking with the smaller pieces I can avoid the worst of the pests like mantis shrimp.

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it’s a mystery. You may be right about tank maturity. I’ve used different types of bottled bac including Dr Tims and I’ve added rubble from a couple different lfs’ s as well as that wonder mud from IPSF. Plus whatever came in on coral frags. The Slimer lost its color almost immediately, within a few days of being in the tank. I have done an ICP test back in late July and nothing was out of spec there, couple minor recs from them, I’ll show it to you, I posted in this thread somewhere, just need to find it again.

I think having old rock does hell a lot. I’m thinking about that nano special from Gulfliverock for some diversity straight out of the ocean. I’m thinking with the smaller pieces I can avoid the worst of the pests like mantis shrimp.
reefbum dip his gulf rock in high salinity water to drive out pests with good results.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back