They said this piece is rare...any idea what a fair price would be?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this piece a lot but it's a little expensive... what's a fair price? It's a very beautiful coral bit don't wanna get overcharged just because it's a "nicer" shop in the area...i did ask the price but don't want to make the estimates bias so I'll say what they're asking after a member or two chimes in...they say it's rare but I don't know a lot about rarity when it comes to these corals...thanks guys!
Screenshot_2022-11-24-19-44-14-948_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
if you like it as much as you are prepared to pay.... its not all about value it s imo how much its worth to you
That's how I feel as well but since i still have plenty of space to fill in my tank im split between a piece that's "rare" according to them or a few pieces that are less expensive...I'm not even sure if it is rare or not

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it’s rare because of the greenish center vs the more common yellow?

If it’s rare because it’s wild, I would actually lower the value as the likelihood of survival goes down (YMMV).

“Common” gonis are $50-100, so I understand they probably want more based on their evaluation. The fancy glittering varieties I see at $200+, so somewhere in between makes sense.

Doesn’t mean I would value it that high. Could be a regular red/yellow with weird lighting too.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primary reason I'm curious about the price is because i just bought a Christmas Tree Worm rock for $45 from them that people were saying would go for a minimum of $150 in the States (some "rare" stuff goes for really great prices here)...they're asking the equivalent of about $150 for this one

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primary reason I'm curious about the price is because i just bought a Christmas Tree Worm rock for $45 from them that people were saying would go for a minimum of $150 in the States (some "rare" stuff goes for really great prices here)...they're asking the equivalent of about $150 for this one
that sounds like a lot for Bangkok :)

How much is a tiger torch?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chipchipmofo lmk what you think of some of the prices after you check it out...he gives discounts to me all the time as well
man that stuff is dirty cheap compared to the prices we pay in switzerland.
My friend did import some torches and acropora from Bali the last week. Directly and it was a new vendor/exporteur

He then asked 400-500$ per head for a tiger torch after the corals were here.

Dont know what they really pay BUT I think the most expensive part was the shipping cost though.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man that stuff is dirty cheap compared to the prices we pay in switzerland.
My friend did import some torches and acropora from Bali the last week. Directly and it was a new vendor/exporteur

He then asked 400-500$ per head for a tiger torch after the corals were here.

Dont know what they really pay BUT I think the most expensive part was the shipping cost though.
Probably shipping does add dramatically to the price...if you're still curious about fish and/or coral prices here i can direct message you an invite to the app groups (like Whatsapp) that different shops use and you can see just how different the prices are...most all the sellers use the same app and i can invite you to the groups where you can directly ask the sellers the prices for whatever pieces you're curious about

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would not say rare but not a typical color you see every day and compared to other short stem goniopora coral, can be $110-$250 depending on size and every retailer will have a different price structure

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably shipping does add dramatically to the price...if you're still curious about fish and/or coral prices here i can direct message you an invite to the app groups (like Whatsapp) that different shops use and you can see just how different the prices are...most all the sellers use the same app and i can invite you to the groups where you can directly ask the sellers the prices for whatever pieces you're curious about
Well, im always curious and like to see prices from all the countries.
BUT, seeing those prices makes me almost falling into a depression :D

I dont think that these guys are exporters, right?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, im always curious and like to see prices from all the countries.
BUT, seeing those prices makes me almost falling into a depression :D

I dont think that these guys are exporters, right?
No, unfortunately not...hey, do you know what fish species this is with the long fin they're selling at one of the shops? They just posted it... (Bottom)
Screenshot_2022-11-24-21-49-37-577_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read enough of your posts to know you do not just dive in blindly. Wild caught goni can be problematic compared to cultured ones so something to consider. Also the fact that the white eggcrate is blue so it may or may not look as colorful in your tank ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back