Thickness for rimless glass tank?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this helps, but I had a 48x30x20 rimless that was 3/8” Thick.
I bought it used, the owner said he had it for about 5 years. I owned for 2 before I sold it.
It did have a lower black trim, but you couldn’t see it while it was on the stand.

Lastly if what you want is out of budget I’d suggest saving longer till you can get what you want. Make sure you read reviews on company’s and look into their warranty.

good luck

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GLasscages already got back.. fast. He said 3/4 all around for the 48 long and 1/2" all around for the 36x18x22 tall.
and 3/4 " is included in the price you see on the web site for my size tank yay. super scared on delivery price
thanks for reaching out to us. Always available for questions.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GLasscages already got back.. fast. He said 3/4 all around for the 48 long and 1/2" all around for the 36x18x22 tall.
and 3/4 " is included in the price you see on the web site for my size tank yay. super scared on delivery price
Glasscages makes some really nice tanks. If the tank plus delivery blows your budget, Fijicube ships free if ordered from their website. This is the external overflow version of the tank I have sitting right behind me as I type this:

Or if you want the tank, stand, sump, ATO, plumbing parts all in one package:

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glasscages makes some really nice tanks. If the tank plus delivery blows your budget, Fijicube ships free if ordered from their website. This is the external overflow version of the tank I have sitting right behind me as I type this:

Or if you want the tank, stand, sump, ATO, plumbing parts all in one package:

Is that tank 3/4". In another thread the poster said similar size tank was 1/2". Maybe 5/8, bit not 3/4. It's about same price, though mine woudl be 2" taller. And not counting shipping.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that tank 3/4". In another thread the poster said similar size tank was 1/2". Maybe 5/8, bit not 3/4. It's about same price, though mine woudl be 2" taller. And not counting shipping.
Front panel is just over 15mm (I just measured with a digital caliper and got .5955 inches) glass on my tank... like .03 inches under 5/8" (.625)

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m starting to think about a eurobraced. Does this need to be same thickness for the 48x24 tank? Is 1/2" considered safe for this?
TIA

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a euro braced tank it’s all 1/2”
From where.. what are the dimensions of the tank?
TY!
I was tnhiking euro not onliy for cost, but weight and I even like how it looks. It also holds a net top easier I think. I heard of putting the bracing just below the tank top to hide the top.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote 3/4, better safe then sorry.
of course it's better than 1/2, but 1" is better than 3/4, etc... anythhing thicker is safer. I probably should have asked does a 1/2" 48x24x24 eurobraced have same or close to it safety and bow resistance as a 3/4" non euro?. Or what thickness of a eurobraced do I need to 'equate' to a 3/4" non euro for that tank size?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TY!
I was tnhiking euro not onliy for cost, but weight and I even like how it looks. It also holds a net top easier I think. I heard of putting the bracing just below the tank top to hide the top.
Tank is 60x28x20, arrives on Friday from CDA. Long wait times currently. Ordered back in march. I have owned rimless and went with euro bracing for piece of mind, dealing with salt creep. Also hoping it will prevent snails from killing them selves and stinking up my house. The bracing on my tank is double braces so it leaves a lip where a DIY screen too will sit flush with bracing

Attachments

• 8A2E8A8A-3B46-4B2D-8D86-4D0FF1EF8B0F.png
    8A2E8A8A-3B46-4B2D-8D86-4D0FF1EF8B0F.png
    946.9 KB · Views: 45

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TY!
I got my 120 euro ext overflow from sc aquarium, they have a black Friday sale every year I got it shipped to my door @ 749.99+tax free shipping its a good looking tank for not breaking the bank..

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 120 euro ext overflow from sc aquarium, they have a black Friday sale every year I got it shipped to my door @ 749.99+tax free shipping its a good looking tank for not breaking the bank..
This would have been my choice if they had steel stands. But in their 150gal.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Skip rimless and go eurobrace. You will be much happier in the end. I hate my rimless tank. Fish splash out of it and when cleaning the glass, water always spills out no matter how careful I am.

Glasscages built my 250g Peninsula. You can see it in my build thread. I wouldn't hesitate to use Joe and team again. Joe is defintely one of the good guys in the hobby.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would have been my choice if they had steel stands. But in their 150gal.
i didnt get the stand from them and actually the best way to go is find a small welding/metal fab business locally to build you something for metal, or a small cabinet builder for something in wood. it will save shipping and probably be better quality in the end. my 2c and the way i do it next time i built my 120 stand extra high and no center brace but i am no carpenter, id do my recommendation next time

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip rimless and go eurobrace. You will be much happier in the end. I hate my rimless tank. Fish splash out of it and when cleaning the glass, water always spills out no matter how careful I am.
unfortunately this is common with rimless ive never had a rimless i like the look but i could tell with the euro brace what it was helping stop. with the euro you will have a dark thick silicon line at the top and the euro brace needs cleaned often although it doesnt effect the light penetration even when dirty, it just doesnt look good with salt creep and water spots, but i almost never need to wipe down the outside from spillage and i figure some fish jump from the glass wall like free willy so the brace tricks them into thinking there is no escape!!!! not sure about the last part but it helps me

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
unfortunately this is common with rimless ive never had a rimless i like the look but i could tell with the euro brace what it was helping stop. with the euro you will have a dark thick silicon line at the top and the euro brace needs cleaned often although it doesnt effect the light penetration even when dirty, it just doesnt look good with salt creep and water spots, but i almost never need to wipe down the outside from spillage and i figure some fish jump from the glass wall like free willy so the brace tricks them into thinking there is no escape!!!! not sure about the last part but it helps me
Water line concealer and tinted black glass on the Eurobrace. Keeps everything looking much cleaner

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 60x28x20, arrives on Friday from CDA. Long wait times currently. Ordered back in march. I have owned rimless and went with euro bracing for piece of mind, dealing with salt creep. Also hoping it will prevent snails from killing them selves and stinking up my house. The bracing on my tank is double braces so it leaves a lip where a DIY screen too will sit flush with bracing
Im trying to make sense if double brace is a lot more protection(?). Can you send a link to cda? Ty!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back