Thin sailfin lying on bottom of tank

McDrummondJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone my sailfin was fine yesterday and this evening I found him at the bottom of the tank panting everything seemed to be fine. He always ate well, but he's been a little on the thin side if it's intestinal parasites what can I do? I have moved him to quarantine and he seems to be moving around a little more. I heard soaking his food in garlic concentrate could kill intestinal parasites. But I can't get him to eat. The white spots are sand from him lying on the bottom of the tank.
1620451650936-159940766.jpg

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Run prazipro.

any signs of parasites ?

what are your parameters and any changes recently ?

OP
OP
M

McDrummondJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I have noticed but he spends a lot of time in and out of the caves I have a lot of live rock
Not that I have noticed but he spends a lot of time in and out of the caves I have a lot of live rock
Still pretty new to saltwater aquariums and like an idiot I don't have any medications on hand so I'll have to wait till the morning. All the parameters seem to be fine I did however lose a striped blenny about 2 weeks ago that was also very skinny.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
That’s concerning losing a fish randomly 2 weeks ago.

There can be so many things but you should start running medication. I run Prazipro when new fish tend to show signs.

If you did no quarantine methods then there is a possibility the fish may have a disease

OP
OP
M

McDrummondJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s concerning losing a fish randomly 2 weeks ago.

There can be so many things but you should start running medication. I run Prazipro when new fish tend to show signs.

If you did no quarantine methods then there is a possibility the fish may have a disease
I got this tank second hand all these fish have been in here since I got it with the exception of some new corals. Everybody else in the tank looks good is it safe to dose the whole tank?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
what’s your feeding schedule like and what is it?

tangs usually burn energy quick and require some type of algae

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I got this tank second hand all these fish have been in here since I got it with the exception of some new corals. Everybody else in the tank looks good is it safe to dose the whole tank?
You would need to shut off all your mechanical / chemical filtration like your carbon if your running, and Skimmer.

OP
OP
M

McDrummondJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I feed every night. I usually feed a half a cube. I feed my enemies a piece of shrimp twice a week and I add phytoplanktons for the corals once a week.
1620453091720-1740472077.jpg

1620452907925-1346472451.jpg

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
How’s the fish tolerating the food? Does it seem like it’s starving hence being skinny

OP
OP
M

McDrummondJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was always pretty active he would swim pretty fast when I would start to feed the tank and he ate quite a bit which is why I never understood why he was skinny.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my Tangs LRS, live worms, and a big enough piece of nori that they can snack on it all day long.

I wouldn’t think half a cube is enough. Especially if you have other fish. If you keep tangs I would also add nori to their diet. I feed a 1/4 a sheet per tang. The big sheets like what you buy at an Asian grocery store for sushi. Just make sure there is no flavorings added.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I feed my Tangs LRS, live worms, and a big enough piece of nori that they can snack on it all day long.

I wouldn’t think half a cube is enough. Especially if you have other fish. If you keep tangs I would also add nori to their diet. I feed a 1/4 a sheet per tang.
I was going to say the same thing.

I have 2 tangs that will devour a 1/4 piece of nori a day with 2 full cubes of food

OP
OP
M

McDrummondJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn’t think half a cube is enough. Especially if you have other fish. If you keep tangs I would also add nori to their diet. I feed a 1/4 a sheet per tang. The big sheets like what you buy at an Asian grocery store for sushi. Just make sure there is no flavorings added.
Ok thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back