Things that make you want to hang up your fins...

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier in August/September I had an issue where by my mistake I flooded the floor with my 60 gallon. I was done. I couldn’t afford a new rank, my sump was trash, I had my fish and nowhere to put them. I won my tank here. That helped me look on the bright side. It was such a massive blessing. I almost quit then. Now I’m fighting issues with my fresh setup but the reef showed me that it does get better. We will indeed have downs and ups as well. I hope his memorials can be salvaged and that you can get the tank back in order.

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's my spinal problems. I fractured my spine during my service in the USNavy. I was lucky to not have cord damage but my back is a mess after multiple surgeries and decades of wear above the surgical sites. I'm in pain 24-7 and had another unfortunate event last month when I was tripped up by my dog. He was behind my feet as a was positioning myself to get into bed. I fell backwards into the bedside table and fractured 5 vertabral end plates in the process. OUCH!! My doctor tells me that this is going to take a good 8 weeks to heal. I also have awful burning into my left thigh that a neurosurgeon wants to operate on (crushed nerves). If I go ahead with it I won't be able to perform husbandry for 6 months. Even after last month's fall, I kept up the maintenance routine - but only with the help of strong pain killers. I'm 64 and love my 350 gallon set-up. It hums along beautifully and provides me great relaxation. There's my Banggai breeder next to it, running off the same sump. The male is about to release his 10th clutch of fry, so there's more work coming up to raise them all. Quitting this hobby is not an easy option. I live alone! I'd like to carry on...
Wow that's a lot on your plate. First of all, THANK YOU for your service and for the sacrifices you've made, I say that from the bottom of my heart. I never take for granted all of the daily freedoms we enjoy, even when so many crazy things are happening in our world, I'm supremely grateful for my freedom and those that serve to ensure we keep it.

Secondly, are there any reefers in your area, or a local club, that would be able to help with some of the tank husbandry when you feel like you need a hand?

Hoping 2020 brings you more pain-free days to enjoy your tank - and life in general ;Happy

Mikedawg8898

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man when I first set up my 75 gallon tank, I had put on a UV sterilizer that sat on the rim of the tank. One night I decided to plug it in before bed. Needless to say the pump was at the bottom of the tank and the outlet fell outside of the tank and I drained 75 gallons of water all on the floor then it went into the next bedroom. Not only did i do that once, I did it again a couple nights later. Then decided I shouldn’t put it there and didn’t end up using it.

charlesk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from my first day back at work after a blissful week long vacation leading up to Christmas, only to find that my HOB skimmer has somehow malfunctioned today. During the process it created a siphon and poured about 5 gallons of saltwater onto my living room floor, which then proceeded to gather in one corner and pour into my basement....all over my husband's childhood keepsakes and memorabilia ;Dead;Dead;Dead.

He's too busy sucking all the water up right now to be furious yet but I know it's coming o_O...if anyone's looking for me I'll be in the backyard in my tent. With my fish. Ugh.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to call the local reef club and say "just come and get it". I can't find the crying emoji but insert it "here"...
Quick fix: make him a nice dinner with his favorite desert. I can’t tell you how many times I forgot about my wife’s Visa balance while I was chewing a good steak.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from my first day back at work after a blissful week long vacation leading up to Christmas, only to find that my HOB skimmer has somehow malfunctioned today. During the process it created a siphon and poured about 5 gallons of saltwater onto my living room floor, which then proceeded to gather in one corner and pour into my basement....all over my husband's childhood keepsakes and memorabilia ;Dead;Dead;Dead.

He's too busy sucking all the water up right now to be furious yet but I know it's coming o_O...if anyone's looking for me I'll be in the backyard in my tent. With my fish. Ugh.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to call the local reef club and say "just come and get it". I can't find the crying emoji but insert it "here"...

My old AquaClear HOB filter did this one morning, while I was asleep, in my apartment. Landlord was knocking on door to tell me that neighbors, below me, have water going all down their walls...

I usually get the urge, about twice a year, to call my lfs to come take it all away and return to me the land of the living, doing normal stuff that people in their 30s do...

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were to start. My RO/DI storage container buckling and spilling gallons of water on the floor of our apartment...twice. Then having a float valve on it fail. The loss of virtually all my fish during a move. Had them in 5 gallon pails with a buddy of mine steadying them. Instead of holding them, he jumped back and they all fell over during a rather aggressive braking session. Flooded my wife's minivan. I wasn't successful in getting the tank set up well after that move. Had the sump on it crack on me soon after the move. The light ballasts also failed for that tank. Downgraded to a new JBJ 24G JBJ soon after. A few months later my two youngest kids dumped an entire container of goldfish food in the tank and killed everything. That was the last straw...until a few months ago.

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol oh my nephews will be the death of me. Even my lfs remembers me because of them and how bad I panicked. Those are good memories and yes I can definitely relate. Thanks for the warm thoughts from everyone it gives me motivation. I’m not able to do anything with my tank yet (aka take care of it), but hoping to soon. The pt and op are not fun and painful specially if it’s cold out side.
I feel your pain!(probably in different areas) I shot my left hand off may 7,2018. I had 11 surgeries by the end of Dec that year. I've had 7 more this year and I'm still not able to use my arm and hand for anything! Unfortunately my husband/family do not want to do anything with my tank. I'm muscling on with water changes and such as best I can but some days it can be real depressing! Hopefully your recovery is fast, sending prayers and good thoughts your way!

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your doing better Beth..... I know this thread is over a year old, but I hope things have gotten much better for you.....

zcedric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a hole into the Skimmer and use an adapter to mount a pipe to it. The pipe will flow into a container with an electric float on it which will shut of the skimmer main power. If it ever would be full for some reason it will prevent the same issue from happening again. This will also prevent the ato to not dose too much freshwater into the tank and delute the salt inside the tank and cause other issues as well.

Back