Things that make you want to hang up your fins...

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from my first day back at work after a blissful week long vacation leading up to Christmas, only to find that my HOB skimmer has somehow malfunctioned today. During the process it created a siphon and poured about 5 gallons of saltwater onto my living room floor, which then proceeded to gather in one corner and pour into my basement....all over my husband's childhood keepsakes and memorabilia ;Dead;Dead;Dead.

He's too busy sucking all the water up right now to be furious yet but I know it's coming o_O...if anyone's looking for me I'll be in the backyard in my tent. With my fish. Ugh.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to call the local reef club and say "just come and get it". I can't find the crying emoji but insert it "here"...

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you ....I regularly spill water on the floor normally from my ato or water changes ....but once my girlfriend was mad at me for something else as it happens....she poured water on the floor around my tank and watched me squirm and cry for 2 hrs trying too find the leak ....she told me later about it ...she laughed so hard .....anyway good luck ...cook him his favourite meal....it'll all be good .. .ooh dont show him this post .....you never know ..:p

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all who posted, it does ease the sting to hear from folks who have shared the same pain. I'm frustrated with myself for buying a subpar piece of equipment. Fastest way to a nuclear disaster in a reef tank :confused:.

Like all the other mishaps with my tank, I now have yet another tried and true thing-not-to-do that I can hopefully pass on to some poor unsuspecting gleefully optimistic overly confident thumb your nose at mother nature new to the hobby reef enthusiast (like I was :]) at some point in the future ;Bored.

My advice to anyone feeling on top of their game and like they've got the world by the tail is to start a reef tank. Nothing can humble a person like mother nature!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all who posted, it does ease the sting to hear from folks who have shared the same pain. I'm frustrated with myself for buying a subpar piece of equipment. Fastest way to a nuclear disaster in a reef tank :confused:.

Like all the other mishaps with my tank, I now have yet another tried and true thing-not-to-do that I can hopefully pass on to some poor unsuspecting gleefully optimistic overly confident thumb your nose at mother nature new to the hobby reef enthusiast (like I was :]) at some point in the future ;Bored.

My advice to anyone feeling on top of their game and like they've got the world by the tail is to start a reef tank. Nothing can humble a person like mother nature!

Lololol

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got some new coral frags at our lfs and we were trying to cut them off the plug it was a small zoas with 4 polyps and my dads hand slipped he’s 71 btw and cut off all the polys I felt so bad for him going to get him a new coral tomorrow

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from my first day back at work after a blissful week long vacation leading up to Christmas, only to find that my HOB skimmer has somehow malfunctioned today. During the process it created a siphon and poured about 5 gallons of saltwater onto my living room floor, which then proceeded to gather in one corner and pour into my basement....all over my husband's childhood keepsakes and memorabilia ;Dead;Dead;Dead.

He's too busy sucking all the water up right now to be furious yet but I know it's coming o_O...if anyone's looking for me I'll be in the backyard in my tent. With my fish. Ugh.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to call the local reef club and say "just come and get it". I can't find the crying emoji but insert it "here"...

Oh I can feel your pain... lived in a 3 story rented townhome and not once, but twice had leaks. First one leaked from living room 2nd level to lower level, it dried and luckily no stain in ceiling. 2nd time, 3rd floor tank leaked and stained ceiling in living room gf was livid (ouch) but while she was out of town I repainted and no-one was the wiser. (especially landlord) This was in a rental that had a "no pet policy" - yet we had a 90lb German Shepherd for 4 years and landlord never knew - but that's a whole nother story...

OP
OP
damselindistress

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got some new coral frags at our lfs and we were trying to cut them off the plug it was a small zoas with 4 polyps and my dads hand slipped he’s 71 btw and cut off all the polys I felt so bad for him going to get him a new coral tomorrow

Aww your poor dad - glad he didn't cut his fingers though! It's great you all are able to share this hobby together. Everyone in my family would rather scoop the cat box than listen to me talk about my corals lol. Heaven forbid company happens to come over and ask a question about my tank - my family's eyes start to glaze over and they start gnawing on their bottom lips haha. I usually just keep going till I see beads of sweat start popping up on their foreheads then I'll sorta wind it down ;Hilarious .

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww your poor dad - glad he didn't cut his fingers though! It's great you all are able to share this hobby together. Everyone in my family would rather scoop the cat box than listen to me talk about my corals lol. Heaven forbid company happens to come over and ask a question about my tank - my family's eyes start to glaze over and they start gnawing on their bottom lips haha. I usually just keep going till I see beads of sweat start popping up on their foreheads then I'll sorta wind it down ;Hilarious .
Thank you for your sympathy

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate to that I remember seeing a post about someone’s nephew urinating in their tank while they came back from a vacation and caugh him red handed doing it when she came back

Kllank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm so sorry I hope his stuff isn't completely ruined and if it's replaceable then you'll get through it. I live in an apartment now and have 2 tanks we had to get insurance just for them because of stuff like this.

Kllank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate to that I remember seeing a post about someone’s nephew urinating in their tank while they came back from a vacation and caugh him red handed doing it when she came back
That's is the worst thing I've heard in a long time.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Sarah24! post

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s it is

5A2C372D-F6CE-4B64-AAB7-AC439B289B9C.png

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you search up the forum Ugh seriously?! I think you will find it
That's is the worst thing I've heard in a long time

Sarah the OP of this post was in a head on collision about a month ago and needs everyone’s prayers.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back