Things you tell your significant other…

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at it this way: how many pairs of shoes, jackets and handbags has your significant other snuck into the house in the past week/month/quarter/year? Exactly.
For me it is unfortunately none. I try to get her to buy herself those things and she won't. I've bought her relatively expensive purses and she won't even use them. I try to get her to buy herself things to justify the money I spend but she won't. It is about every other weekend that she decides the family needs to take a weekend trip somewhere, so I use that as justification.

I don't lie to my wife about any purchases, it'd be pointless anyway since we only have the one bank account and she is the one who balances it. I used to tell her everything I'd buy, she would complain and I'd buy it anyway. Now as long as it's something cheap I don't even tell her anymore. It's actually gotten to where she doesn't even mention it when she sees the charges on the debit card, so the way I see it I'm breaking her down. If it's more than a hundred dollars or so I'll tell her before buying it. The key to my system is to make a bunch of small purchases.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at it this way: how many pairs of shoes, jackets and handbags has your significant other snuck into the house in the past week/month/quarter/year? Exactly.
My wife will look at the expensive stuff and usually pass cause she doesn’t like spending money on herself. Though I can buy her something and she’ll use it. The reef tank is my tank, however she does like to participate in reefing decisions and she’s actually fairly good at choosing stuff that would work in the tank

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the “you better hope it doesn’t die” speech and then the complaints of “why is it taking so long to quarantine fish, it looks healthy”

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Things you tell your significant other…​

Just before I buy any new aquarium equipment or corals, I Tell my wife that she is the most beautiful woman in the world and I am the luckiest man alive!!!

Did work for awhile but I think she is on to me now…

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just before I buy any new aquarium equipment or corals, I Tell my wife that she is the most beautiful woman in the world and I am the luckiest man alive!!!

Did work for awhile but I think she is on to me now…
I think your wife may have figured out your "tell", lol.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time I dropped a lot on reefing gear I told her "I work hard and this brings me joy and balance"

Now when ever I have a bad day she asks me if I need something for my tank.
You are a very lucky man!

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not completely honest on the cost of things or where thing came from at times, But I never take money from the household account. we each have an additional bank account.
During my years of working in a LFS we would always joke with people for additional 5 bucks we give them a receipt for what ever they wanted to show their husband or wife.

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I share all of the costs with my wife. Im just transparent about it. She's supportive. Its as much my money as it is hers.

She loves the tank too and we discussed the costs before it started - that it would be expensive.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is definitely supportive, she was more mocking me yesterday since I’m actually the one that keeps bringing up the “I need to stop spending money and let things grow out”. She just says, fine I’m getting a Starbucks tomorrow lol

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"I love my reef tank." ;Shifty

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back