Think I'm winning the Dino war, but may need UV. Any hang on or in tank UV recommendations?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since my Nitrates and Phosphates bottomed out, I've had Dinos. Things I've been doing to combat them:

• Dosing NeoNitro. NO3 around 5-10
  • Dosing NeoPhos. Po4 around .1
  • Dosing Hydrogen Peroxide at night
  • Dosing Microbacter 7 in the morning
  • Been stirring up the sand bed and blowing off the rocks to get them into the water column then removing the filter floss.
  • Turn off white lights, only running blue / violet
They seem to be growing at a much slower rate during the day and corals aren't as annoyed. Cautiously optimistic I'm winning. However, one thing I noticed is before the lights come on the sandbed is pristine. Makes me think they are going into the water column at night and UV may be an effective treatment to aid in my fight.

My issue is, I'm running an IM 14G desktop, and I don't have space in the sump for a UV sterilizer. Are there any that hang onto the side of the tank and have an intake and return hose? Or something that sits in the display tank?

I tried to locate something but an coming up short. Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on Amazon :

Pretty much what I had in mind. A little more than was hoping to spend, but the whole tank has been expensive so...

Open to other ideas if anyone has them.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on Amazon :

Pretty much what I had in mind. A little more than was hoping to spend, but the whole tank has been expensive so...

Open to other ideas if anyone has them.

I have the 6X one, knocked out Bacteria bloom overnight. Do need a manifold or pump to get flow through it though.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uv isn't worth it. I would just keep doing what you are doing if it's working

Just trying to prepare in case I start losing. Seems like,it can be very effective for the water born type. Would be my only use for it though. Certainly won't want a hang on unit on the tank full time.

I have the 6X one, knocked out Bacteria bloom overnight. Do need a manifold or pump to get flow through it though.

Ahhh....thats an issue. Was hoping to find something with a pump included. Didn't notice that. I appreciate you pointing it out.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since my Nitrates and Phosphates bottomed out, I've had Dinos. Things I've been doing to combat them:

• Been stirring up the sand bed and blowing off the rocks to get them into the water column then removing the filter floss.
They seem to be growing at a much slower rate during the day and corals aren't as annoyed. Cautiously optimistic I'm winning. However, one thing I noticed is before the lights come on the sandbed is pristine. Makes me think they are going into the water column at night and UV may be an effective treatment to aid in my fight.

My issue is, I'm running an IM 14G desktop, and I don't have space in the sump for a UV sterilizer. Are there any that hang onto the side of the tank and have an intake and return hose? Or something that sits in the display tank?

Hard to know for sure that your dinos are not large cell amphids. They cling to the sand primarily and do not swim. Instead they are thought to burrow and will not be affected by UV.

The other 4 common species will succumb to UV though for sure. Maximize contact time as they are armored up pretty good.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to know for sure that your dinos are not large cell amphids. They cling to the sand primarily and do not swim. Instead they are thought to burrow and will not be affected by UV.

The other 4 common species will succumb to UV though for sure. Maximize contact time as they are armored up pretty good.

Yeah, I though about getting a microscope but...not sure what the ROI on it is after I ID what the thing is.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I though about getting a microscope but...not sure what the ROI on it is after I ID what the thing is.
The microscope ROI value equation has a few variables:
a) value of coral mortality
b) price of the UV that I need
c) value of time expended
d) extended value of owning a microscope

If you have a large tank and need a large UV those things are expensive. Buying one to treat LC amphidinium is a waste.

If you have a ton of expensive coral a microscope is cheap. Etc Etc.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The microscope ROI value equation has a few variables:
a) value of coral mortality
b) price of the UV that I need
c) value of time expended
d) extended value of owning a microscope

If you have a large tank and need a large UV those things are expensive. Buying one to treat LC amphidinium is a waste.

If you have a ton of expensive coral a microscope is cheap. Etc Etc.
Yeah good call. I have about $200 worth of corals currently, and another $200 coming tomorrow. I thought a $50 coral was at risk but it seems to be pulling though. Maybe I’ll just keep up my current regime up and reevaluate if I start losing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Run blue and violet at 15%. Do not add NoPox or feed coral foods during this treatment and clean filters daily.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run blue and violet at 15%. Do not add NoPox or feed coral foods during this treatment and clean filters daily.

not sure what nopox is so no risk there. Have been changing filter floss twice per day. Once after I stir up the sand bed mid morning and once after the lights go off.

Bought my first corals a few weeks ago so have been running the light quite a bit higher. Between the 35 - 50% depending on the color channel. Just violets and blues though. They are looking really good though so I suppose I could turn them down yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
not sure what nopox is so no risk there. Have been changing filter floss twice per day. Once after I stir up the sand bed mid morning and once after the lights go off.

Bought my first corals a few weeks ago so have been running the light quite a bit higher. Between the 35 - 50% depending on the color channel. Just violets and blues though. They are looking really good though so I suppose I could turn them down yet.
Even 10% will make a difference

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue is, I'm running an IM 14G desktop, and I don't have space in the sump for a UV sterilizer.
IM makes a UV sterilizer that fits in the 1st chamber of the sump. You take your media basket out and put in. Turn your Mighty Jet pump all the way down ( stock pump on a IM10, IM14,IM20p) to 1.1(8 watts). It only takes a couple/few nights to kill the dinos. The IM UV sterilizer was worth the $50.00 I spent on it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back